Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Apr 6, 2020.

1. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    A) codename: Scarlet BloodLetter
    soon: errand boy in an early stage bureaucratic cancer, grist for the propaganda mill
    later: hope to one day cause mass starvation and suppress free thought as an assassin

B) codename: Scarred Sentinel
    soon: student at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, developing extraordinary abilities
    later: hope to use those skills to hunt supernatural monsters and protect all of mankind

C) codename: Formaldehyde Jesus
    soon: orderly in chief for hospital bedsheets that have been shat in or vomited on (hint: penicillin isn't here yet)
    later: hope to grope enough nurses to develop Lay on Hands healing powers and touch Liz too much

• Funny Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fixed.

• nice nice x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    ....BC.

I see the Group Madness stage of voting has arrived

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that Lambchop's fervent anticommunism is just a front. A front for what, you might ask? Well, the very thing he is denying: Lambchop is an undercover KGB agent and a committed communist.

His fervent defense of 1C is enough to make me question the circumstances. Perhaps the Party will find a doctor more useful than a monster hunter. Flopping to AC while I investigate this further.

B and C are now tied. Glory to the Communitarian Council of Codexian Players.
    :salute:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    Ah, behold the wonders that is democracy. Always functional, especially when it is not. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ITZ time.
    Choose Your Destiny (open)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Thursday is coming.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Do I want to play a standard action-adventure game that Cloud's stat line is built for, or do I want to play against the character type and go into the medical field? In the latter case, we could meet Dr. Mel Brooks van Helsing and become a vampire hunter, or we could become a medical professional in a period of astounding scientific breakthroughs and immense human suffering (WW1, for starters).

There's also the matter of Uridimmu. We could pursue the career field that deals explicitly with the supernatural, or we could become a medic that houses the manifestation of hatred and violence.

:hmmm:

Decisions, decisions.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I see what you did there.

JoIn Us, CoMrAdE.

Join the high life (open)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A vampire Hunter/Scholar?

:shredder:

What is the B Lobby's counter-argument?

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Our counter-argument is that give it 24 hours and you'll have flipped again to Commie Thug Lyfe, your honour

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Forsooth, dear Sir.

I have never wavered in my commitment to the Party, something that can't be said about other comrades.

:rpgcodex:

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Comrade, the Party is definitely in need of medical expertise.
    Besides, we can't afford to lose Comrade Commissar Lambchop, so we need qualified personnel on hand if he ever gets a stroke simulating strong dislike to his lifelong ideals. His is a nerve-wracking job.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    • Brofist x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Indeed, we must provide critical support to Comrade Lambchop. We cannot afford to lose him.

Flopping to AC>CC. CC now leads.

:salute:

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :roll:

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ugh, fine, I can turn off the saltposting for a moment.

C presents a more compelling story in comparison to B; that it goes against expectations is just a bonus for me.

I'm addition to all the cool story elements I described earlier (Uridimmu, vampires and the time period), Cloud personality seems like a good fit for the profession:
    We're characterized by our grim resolution in the face of adversity and our willingness to help others (Rain, Tlalli, Sophie). These are fitting characteristics for someone whose job is to wrestle with death. Add to that our studious nature and I think that we have all the makings of a great doctor. All that we must do us work and learn. Learn, learn and learn.

Doctor Cloud van Helsing, as he will be remembered by the grateful citizens of the Tower:

[​IMG]

Assuming Elizabeth doesn't have us for dinner before we make it, of course.
    +M

Salt (open)

All that said, 1A is obviously still my first choice and you're all incredibly lame for skipping out on it. Everyone should flop to 1A.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    ^ Top  
  17. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    yes of course: war is peace, what a compelling story going against expectations

and do you want to buy a bridge by any chance? it's been in the family for generations and i'd never dream of selling it to anybody but then i met you and i just knew it was the right thing to do

and the best part is that the price is soooooo veryyyyyy low and i've never heard of opportunity cost what a silly concept

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Just want to point out that I'm in full agreement Politics is cooler then the supernatural stuff, but I see no don't see how us going with the hospital route prevents us from pursuing that later on in the LP. The only reason I'm going with C now is because it'd be inconsistent with our character to follow Liz to New Vienna to try and save her, and then proceeding to run off to a fancy school and live her dream after literally not doing anything to help. Once we figure out how to cure Liz, we'll see about joining the Hunter Association.

I also want to point out that the supernatural elements that the Hunter Association likely deals with probably has direct ties with the political aspects of the Tower. All the people are voting A because they want politics, but the Russians we saw in the abandoned temple were directly interfacing with supernatural elements. Us joining the Hunter's Association could be a direct way for us to get involved with a political entity, whether that means competing with the Ruskies or helping them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. baud Magister Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good point. But

FTFY

• Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    If there's one thing we know about these LPs, is that we should pick based on the choices we have now and the information we have now. I'm not really interested in banking it all on the idea that we do X "later". The October Revolution might happen next week, who knows?

I'm partial to the argument that we need to see out our dedication to Liz, but I just struggle to see what we're actually going to do with C or whether anything interesting will happen as a result.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I see where you're coming from, but they're not political enough for me. According to Tlalli's description, they work with members of the Council and religious organizations, but they are also constrained by their Masquerade:
    So, yeah, it sounds like we can only get involved with them indirectly. And I'll take playing as a medic in the trenches of WWI over monster hunting; it just sounds like a more human story, tbh.

Which is why I want to take Lenin's offer while it's still there. That said, I hope there's at least a WWI before it happens, I want to experience the time period fully.

FTFY

Guys, she's totally a vampire.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    ^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    So it's C then? Unexpected win, let's see where that takes us. Unfortunately updates will be sparser for the coming few months since I'm entering a very busy phase of work, so that's the obligatory warning given.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    "No, Wrinkly, you stupid fool! I said form 49-3A, not 49-3B! When will you ever learn??"

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. In before hilarious bedpan comedy with us getting violently shat on by diarrhea patients for 3 solid years. :M

• nice nice x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Yeah! The BS arguments and flopping are over for a while! Sadly more seem to on the horizon with sparcer updates ahead.

• Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.