Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Saint Joan Hospital (I)

Elizabeth sleeps - it is all she does lately, spending more time in slumber than awake. You tidy up the fallen petals, dutifully replenishing the vase at her bedside with a fresh supply of flowers. It has been nearly two years since you started working at the hospital. You have spent some time improving your knowledge of alchemy and arithmetic, but there has been no progress with Elizabeth's mystery illness. As she continues to waste away, all you can do is to be here by her side.

The medicines of man cannot resolve her illness. But you already know that, don't you?

You ignore the Hound, mildly irritated by the smugness in its voice.

"Done!" exclaims Rain happily as she wrings out her mop, having helped you clean the ward. She's grown fast; the girl that was once a baby is now a fast and precocious child. It won't be long before you have to consider her future too. You would like her to receive a proper education, something you had barely been able to enjoy.

"Kid, you there?" A senior orderly pops his head into the room, looking for you. "Dr. Müller wants some assistance at the amphitheater. You might want to get to it quickly."

You nod without a word, and tell Rain to stay here with Elizabeth. Grabbing your gloves, you head out into the crowded, noisy corridors of the hospital.

"The secrets of death lie not in the heart, but in the brain. That I shall illustrate in greater detail, as my assistant removes the top of the skull."

The portly bearded man's pompous voice resonates around the amphitheater, where nearly a hundred fresh-faced medical students are present for his lecture. This is Doctor Gustav Müller, one of the top physicians of the hospital, and renowned for his work on the brain. Arrogant yet brilliant, a man whose personality leaves much to be desired. Still, that is none of your business. You are just here to do your job. Quietly following his orders, you make an incision with a scalpel around the top of the corpse's head. Peeling back the scalp and exposing the bone, you then use a small handsaw to cut into the skull. The grinding of metal against bone causes some of the students to flinch, though Muller continues his lecture unperturbed.

"Past the membrane, we find the mundane matter of the brain. Mundane it may be, but this is the seat of the soul, not the heart as most olden cultures speculated. In fact, Astra research in recent years appears to have proven Descartes correct, for the pineal gland of Astra users has demonstrated enlargement-"

"Such drivel! Oh, just listen to yourself!"

Müller stops, and so do you. One of the students had just spoken out loudly, sneering at Muller's exposition. It was a gaunt, pale young man of around twenty, with neatly groomed hair and thick, black spectacles perched on his nose.

"The pineal gland? The soul? What baloney. While the pineal gland is known to be associated with Astra abilities, the projections of the neurons within suggest that the true soul lie elsewhere, Herr Müller!"

"Balo... what did you just say?" splutters Müller, his whiskered cheeks turning red in anger. "I suggest you hit the books, young man, and gain a firm understanding of the fundamentals of neurology before questioning the knowledge of your betters! This class appears to be beyond your level!"

"There is nothing you could teach that would be on my level, Doctor Müller," sneers the young man full of disdain. "This lecture of yours has made that evident."

Standing up, he marches out of the amphitheatre, leaving behind an apoplectic Müller and a stunned audience. At that time, you had no idea that you would encounter the young man again shortly after.

You had the night-shift today, and after putting Rain to bed in the orderlies break room - she had become quite a favourite of the nurses in the hospital so you had little to worry about leaving her with them - you began patrolling the deserted corridors. In the wee hours of the morning, even the patients were asleep... though Elizabeth was more likely to be awake at such nocturnal times than any other time of the day, if she was even awake at all.

As your patrol carries you towards Elizabeth's ward, you spot the student from Dr. Muller's lecture standing outside her door. He seems to be muttering something to himself.

What an unguarded man. You could do it, you know. Creep up behind him, and twist his head off. It would be exceedingly simple.

For some reason, the Hound chooses to whisper in your ear at this very moment, though you ignore it as you usually do.

A. You call out to him and ask him what he is doing here. You aren't about to allow him to freely enter Elizabeth's ward at this time of the night.

B. You sneak up behind him and subdue him by force - despite being an adult who is taller and older than you, he looks far frailer.

C. You wait and watch to see what he does. What he's doing is not technically against any of the hospital rules, being a medical student at this place.

Baltika9

Arcane
A. Creeper alert!

"The secrets of death lie not in the heart, but in the brain. That I shall illustrate in greater detail, as my assistant removes the top of the skull."

The portly bearded man's pompous voice resonates around the amphitheater, where nearly a hundred fresh-faced medical students are present for his lecture. This is Doctor Gustav Müller, one of the top physicians of the hospital, and renowned for his work on the brain. Arrogant yet brilliant, a man whose personality leaves much to be desired. Still, that is none of your business. You are just here to do your job. Quietly following his orders, you make an incision with a scalpel around the top of the corpse's head. Peeling back the scalp and exposing the bone, you then use a small handsaw to cut into the skull. The grinding of metal against bone causes some of the students to flinch, though Muller continues his lecture unperturbed.

"Past the membrane, we find the mundane matter of the brain. Mundane it may be, but this is the seat of the soul, not the heart as most olden cultures speculated. In fact, Astra research in recent years appears to have proven Descartes correct, for the pineal gland of Astra users has demonstrated enlargement-"
Doctor van Helsing, is that you?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
C

while it's tempting to practice stealthy takedowns and i'm prone to do that at random times just for shits and giggles, it would be unfit of this glorious continuation

let's observe, grabbing a handy bludgeon in the meantime (some are bound to be around)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
C
let's wait and see what happens

A. Creeper alert!

Doctor van Helsing, is that you?

I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker and Elizabeth's illness reminds me of one character who (apparently, I'm not finished) got bitten by a vampire, leading to the appearance of Dr. Van Helsing in the story

Last edited:

Orbit

Scholar
A. Ask him what he's up to. Maybe he knows more about her condition. And if he is able to cure Liz we may provide help.

ChumBucket

Augur
let's observe, grabbing a handy bludgeon in the meantime (some are bound to be around)
I think something wooden and sharp enough to pierce the heart might be in order, but our character is ignorant of such things.

C.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
So happy this is back and that treave has revived it!

"Such drivel! Oh, just listen to yourself!"

Müller stops, and so do you. One of the students had just spoken out loudly, sneering at Muller's exposition. It was a gaunt, pale young man of around twenty, with neatly groomed hair and thick, black spectacles perched on his nose.

"The pineal gland? The soul? What baloney. While the pineal gland is known to be associated with Astra abilities, the projections of the neurons within suggest that the true soul lie elsewhere, Herr Müller!"

"Balo... what did you just say?" splutters Müller, his whiskered cheeks turning red in anger. "I suggest you hit the books, young man, and gain a firm understanding of the fundamentals of neurology before questioning the knowledge of your betters! This class appears to be beyond your level!"

"There is nothing you could teach that would be on my level, Doctor Müller," sneers the young man full of disdain. "This lecture of yours has made that evident."

Seems like Herr Muller is of the Rationalist/Enlightenment type, whereas our boy here is not. (perhaps he's something akin to Rasputin? I see more Raskolnikov in him, however)

I don't think that helps us in this upcoming choice, but I definitely think that this guy is a hell of a lot tougher than his scrawny appearance might suggest.

You had the night-shift today, and after putting Rain to bed in the orderlies break room - she had become quite a favourite of the nurses in the hospital so you had little to worry about leaving her with them - you began patrolling the deserted corridors. In the wee hours of the morning, even the patients were asleep... though Elizabeth was more likely to be awake at such nocturnal times than any other time of the day, if she was even awake at all.

As your patrol carries you towards Elizabeth's ward, you spot the student from Dr. Muller's lecture standing outside her door. He seems to be muttering something to himself.

What an unguarded man. You could do it, you know. Creep up behind him, and twist his head off. It would be exceedingly simple.

For some reason, the Hound chooses to whisper in your ear at this very moment, though you ignore it as you usually do.

My hunch is that this young man has a preoccupation and obsession with Astras and death - I guess I have the feeling that he's something of an aspiring necromancer. I'm speculating, but it fits - he certainly has the look and attitude, plus if you're a would-be necromancer with an obsession for knowledge of the dark arts creeping around in the wee hours of the morning, the first place you'd look for research would be in terminally ill people, like Elizabeth. This guy's looked at a million cadavers in these lecture halls, maybe you'd want to look at someone who is on the brink of death instead.

I think he's nervous and not up to a direct confrontation. He might have considerable power that we don't know about, but I don't think he's expecting to be confronted and potentially seen by others in a public place.
I'm really curious about what he's up to... but I'm leaning A. Willing to flop to C if I think on it further - sometimes it's better to sit back and observe. Oh, and fuck the Hound, not listening to that guy.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm assuming that the long break was treave doing ethnographic research for this story arc

He is now writing from a crumbling cabin in Romania, never staying one place more than three days

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave can we get close enough to hear what he's muttering?

No, he'll likely have stopped muttering and entered the room before that.

I'm assuming that the long break was treave doing ethnographic research for this story arc

He is now writing from a crumbling cabin in Romania, never staying one place more than three days

Everyone is so focused on vampires that they don't notice the other reference... yet.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think I want to find out what kind of experiment he has in mind post-factum.
True soul, huh. Something about the Dreaming, then? A piece of her soul got caught in the dream and is now anchoring her to the place?

A. You call out to him and ask him what he is doing here. You aren't about to allow him to freely enter Elizabeth's ward at this time of the night.

We might spook him if he is uncertain of his ideas, or if they are actively harmful... but it might be for the better.
Ah, we could, but why would we? This comes a bit out of a left field.

Still, doge may have some inkling about what he is here for. Makes me more guarded than I'd be otherwise.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
A. Yeah, I don't think the benefits of learning what exactly he has in mind outweigh the risks. Or perhaps he's a nice fellow and we'll go out for drinks and a nice chat, you know?

At worst we've found our next specimen for the brain autopsy

ChumBucket

Augur
Everyone is so focused on vampires that they don't notice the other reference... yet.
If I was going to venture a guess I would say the soul discussion in the classroom is reminiscent of Frankenstien... a big literary work of the early Victorian era.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom