Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking - Inspired by Ultima 3 (released)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
alt brother here - should make a separate handle, Ill work on that.
Skull: money exchange only, pretty rare to find I think
Rope: not necessary but can be used at a certain bottomless pit to get a special item
And as far as our friend 'LB' lets not use his name for obvious reasons, he will play a major role in in L2. He can be found without cheating, but only with a substantial amount of trolling, and a lot of putting two and two and two together. He is not really 'meant' to be found.
:) Congrats from me also. Game was a lot of fun to make, and writing the story and conversations (chock full o' references) was even more fun.
Thanks for playing!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Yay! Congrats. Hope you enjoyed the quest!

The tower in the water just south of Urth is a lighthouse. It was added later in dev to pay homage to U5. The U5 lighthouse song and it's light cutting swaths through the night are still burned into my memory after all these years. It can not be entered (in L1).

The other three questions I will let little bro answer as he will because I am pretty sure he has some tie-ins planned for L2 and I don't want to play the spoiler. He may or may not choose to reveal these secrets.

Really appreciate you playing and would love to hear any other thoughts once things settle.

k0syak

Cipher
OK, here's some more random stuff:

- Any reason for Ctrl/Shift support in combat only? Would make casting light/healing more convenient.
- Got fire rain on my spellcaster pretty early on from a random (or was it?) drop, which trivialized most encounters, didn't need freeze time/confuse/sleep pretty much ever.
- Seems like dual-blades (which are available in Urth - basically from the start) are the best one-handed weapons, maybe they should be moved to the east like other higher-tier equipment.
- Figured out the silver skull - it equips into head slot.
- Liked most of the dungeon designs, but why only one use of teleporting square?
- Writing was also really good, simple stuff, but no cringe (like in D:OS). The "plot twist" was pretty obvious, suspected the ruler of East Dispertine at first, due to his wife's hints :)

Still need answers to these:
Where's the bottomless pit located? Also is "A familiar land" another reference to Britannia or is it possible to enter? Missing stuff makes me lose rest :)
/

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Any reason for Ctrl/Shift support in combat only? Would make casting light/healing more convenient.
Nope. Would definitely benefit from making that shortcut available non-combat.

Got fire rain on my spellcaster pretty early on from a random (or was it?) drop, which trivialized most encounters, didn't need freeze time/confuse/sleep pretty much ever.
That was the roll of a die. All items have a value we dubbed 'rarity index'. That scroll is a rare one. Perhaps the chance to find scrolls to learn spells should be eliminated and force the player to seek out the teachers for all?

Seems like dual-blades (which are available in Urth - basically from the start) are the best one-handed weapons, maybe they should be moved to the east like other higher-tier equipment.
Excellent point (and suggestion). I think we will make it so next update.

Figured out the silver skull - it equips into head slot.
Thanks... sorry... been steeped in L2 for a while and memory fails. ;)

Liked most of the dungeon designs, but why only one use of teleporting square?
Yikes. Don't remember this... bro!? :)

Writing was also really good, simple stuff, but no cringe (like in D:OS). The "plot twist" was pretty obvious, suspected the ruler of East Dispertine at first, due to his wife's hints :)
Thanks. Bro deserves 99% of the writing credit and he did a phenomenal job in my opinion. Regarding the plot twist, we agree; but hopefully all of the rest along the way made it cool and you feel like you have uncovered a story rather than been corralled through one... that will always be our goal. I think I can safely speak for both of us when I say that a good story is always the most difficult (but necessary) part in our opinion. It was fun to use a lot of references to stuff too. I doubt any one person will note all of them as some are pretty obscure. For example, 'The Snowfly' is one of my favorite books ever by Joseph Heywood. There are dozens of others buried in there. My favorite was the reference to the old "Gene, Gene... made a machine" rhyme. :) Still makes me laugh.

Thanks again.

Do you really want to see this?
Magic Rope: A suspicious looking hex floor tile in Stormpeak.

Turn back now!
No... seriously!
There is a way to visit. I will say no more. ;)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Also could you explain in more detail what you mean by
OK, here's some more random stuff:

- Liked most of the dungeon designs, but why only one use of Teleporting square?
However did you find that, assuming I do know what you mean?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I still am unsure of this and we have argued/discussed it a bit... But out of curiosity... Is there any interest in having a look at L2 as it stands now for the purposes of providing feedback on UI, char creation, look and feel, combat, etc? There are only a few test NPCs and one test vendor at this point so no spoilers. And we wouldn't want to wear out the welcome before release. However, my experience with L1 was that the farther down the road I get the more difficult it becomes to make major changes. Any thoughts? Are we better off just waiting??

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
For anyone reading this thread who might be debating about giving Lurking I a try, I recorded and posted a couple of brief gameplay videos to give you an idea of what the game is like:

Gameplay 1: Wandering the lands (with a couple of battles): https://goo.gl/uPCgHm
Gameplay 2: Having conversation with some NPCs in a town: https://goo.gl/SDlRKc

k0syak

Cipher
I still am unsure of this and we have argued/discussed it a bit... But out of curiosity... Is there any interest in having a look at L2 as it stands now for the purposes of providing feedback on UI, char creation, look and feel, combat, etc? There are only a few test NPCs and one test vendor at this point so no spoilers. And we wouldn't want to wear out the welcome before release. However, my experience with L1 was that the farther down the road I get the more difficult it becomes to make major changes. Any thoughts?
Since (the way it looks to me) you are going further into combatfag territory, additional credentials are required, i.e. what combat-centric CRPGs have you (both) played and some general thoughts on the systems.

Are we better off just waiting??
Look at Grimoire, Cleve made 'waiting' a swear word :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Since (the way it looks to me) you are going further into combatfag territory
I don't know, maybe. I really just admit that combat in L1 was a definite weak spot and wanted to improve that aspect. I want the exploration, NPC interactions and story to shine. I don't want the combat system to detract from that. So I recognized that L1 combat can get mundane (as I remember it did in U3-5)... thinking "crap, now I have to get past this fight so I can get back to the game." On the other hand, important to me is gaining power and leveling up (thinking especially of the fun of character building in Wizardry, Bard's Tale, etc.). I apologize that I can't remember the name and can't find the post but somewhere on the Codex someone recommended a game called A...(something) HD to someone. I am not trying to disrespect that person but I watched a video of the gameplay and a combat took like 20 minutes. For me, I would want to slit my wrists before playing that game. So even though I am rambling, I want to make combat resolve fairly quickly (which it does), be more intersting and tactical (which I THINK I have done by adding agility/speed based turn impacts, special and unique attacks (monsters and chars), and diagonal movement and unrestricted missile fire), and avoidable if you want (which it is... by just avoiding the enemy in travel or having them run from you if they are obviously outmatched). I also recognize that I may be out of touch with what many gamers want so let me get to that...

additional credentials are required, i.e. what combat-centric CRPGs have you (both) played and some general thoughts on the systems.
Herein lies the problem. I have not played that many (boooo!). I just got to a point (when I had the time to be involved) that I preferred trying to make games to playing them. Also, for whatever reason (ie. not looking hard enough) I never found anything that interested me. I wanted the feeling of playing the stuff I played in the 80's and the trend toward hold-your-hand-do-this-then-this-then-this held nothing for me in the way of enjoyment. So... as far as turn-based combat goes I have two big broad pictures of direction in my mind. Just want to do whatever I can to maximize the experience of that direction within the scope of the game and my ability. Well, took a long time to write that... hopefully makes some sense?

Look at Grimoire, Cleve made 'waiting' a swear word
Gives me hope. Although, he did release several demos. I know people want to PLAY games... but... once again if anyone is interested, would love to have some feedback on the UI/Combat system especially that I have put in place. If not... we trudge on. :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
if anyone is interested, would love to have some feedback on the UI/Combat system especially that I have put in place.

Edit: I have removed the link to the early look demo. Thanks to those who took the time to check it out and offer your valuable suggestions and feedback. Hope to hear more via codex or email and we will provide a new demo in the future once the game is further along in production.

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Bee-Tee-Dubs... If you are one of those that have downloaded (love short URLs), Thank you! Take all the time you want to evaluate. But... please, please, PLEASE take the time to post SOMETHING here, even if it is just "Couldn't even get past the title page because it gave me eye cancer."

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
L2 PRE-ALPHA DEMO

1. Too much rain frequency...I think I was having a rain storm every other minute.
2. Talking at the Inn, The key word says 'Dry Dock'. It doesn't work as typed. Dry or Dock alone do work however.
3. I cannot into combat...How do you position your other party members so they can hit? Seems to me you can't. So I died and gave up :)

I would suggest a way to 'group' your party into just 1 character, esp. in towns. a little button to group them down by the sword/scroll would be nice.

Trying to open the 'Readme' file, pegs my CPU at 100 and file never opens. I have to end the task in task manager. (I do have a potato computer, win xp, circa 2003.)

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
1. Too much rain frequency...I think I was having a rain storm every other minute.
2. Talking at the Inn, The key word says 'Dry Dock'. It doesn't work as typed. Dry or Dock alone do work however.
3. I cannot into combat...How do you position your other party members so they can hit? Seems to me you can't. So I died and gave up :)

I would suggest a way to 'group' your party into just 1 character, esp. in towns. a little button to group them down by the sword/scroll would be nice.

Good feedback and I really appreciate it. 1 & 2 are still very much under construction so that will be dealt with. Weird about the Readme because it is just a .txt file but...
to enter attle mode you must click on the sword or press 'B'. The same will exit battle mode. During battle mode the character whose turn is up will be highlited. Movement is the arrow keys... or the NumPad keys which also allow for diagonal movement. [A]ttack with 'A' and then a direction (or if missile fire you will have to aim. In my opinion all of this is more easily accomomplished by using the mouse and clicking on the tile you wish the char up to move to or attack. Hope that helps and you will give it another quick try. Thanks!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
The smithy had no keywords listed in his speech...However I tried 'buy' and 'sell' and they worked. Would have been helpful if he actually said 'Would you like to 'buy' or 'sell' something.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
How hard would it be to make highlighted keywords clickable? I'd like that. Typing is so Zork 1....:)

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
The smithy had no keywords listed in his speech...However I tried 'buy' and 'sell' and they worked. Would have been helpful if he actually said 'Would you like to 'buy' or 'sell' something.
Absolutely. We are starting to work on that portion of the game now as well as all the NPCs and convos. You are surely right and I should also add clickable 'BUY' and 'SELL' keywords to vendor convo splash. Thanks!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Weird about the Readme because it is just a .txt file but...

No, it's a microsoft word document.

lurking.PNG

Perhaps include a straight up .TXT file too. (for us potato owners)

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom