Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking - Inspired by Ultima 3 (released)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
It's some sort of elvish. I can't read it.

There are few who can. It is the language of Mordor, which I will not utter here.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Is there a way to have a windowed mode? In XP this program doesn't even show up in the taskbar. I have to open task manager->applications and use "Switch to ..." to get back to the program should I alt-tab out for whatever reason.

I tried Alt-Enter but it doesn't do anything.

Zep--

k0syak

Cipher
You can press [Windows]+"M" or just minimize the browser or whatever you have open

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
So I have some good stuff to work on for UI. Anyone have anything on combat? I know it is difficult to get context without a full working game but anything you noted would be of great value to me.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
You can press [Windows]+"M" or just minimize the browser or whatever you have open

Nope. When I minimize the browser I see the windows desktop. I can still hear the game music being played so I know it's active, just no way to switch to it besides the one way I described.

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Nope. When I minimize the browser I see the windows desktop. I can still hear the game music being played so I know it's active, just no way to switch to it besides the one way I described.

I will add this issue to the UI docket. Thanks.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Poll questrion. (oops... typo looks like Questron). Poll QUESTION: Elwro mentioned an in game mapping function. Rather than using a third party I would be more inclined to work this out myself. Is this something that should be included in Lurking II? I've seen some pretty cool maps that players have worked out themselves and this may be part of the fun?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
In-game mapping is pretty fun, it's a staple of the Etrian Odyssey series if you're looking for one reference. No idea if a very similar tool would work in Lurking or if it should work differently.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
In-game mapping is pretty fun, it's a staple of the Etrian Odyssey series if you're looking for one reference. No idea if a very similar tool would work in Lurking or if it should work differently.
Very cool but looks pretty labor intensive to duplicate or mimic for just myself unless I want this project to go Grimoire. I think if anything the option would be a zoom-out type of map that would automatically reflect areas explored? Not quite as cool but at the same time allows player to focus on other things?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, a zoom-out map where you can add text annotations and where you don't know where you are would work.

In this case, don't forget it doesn't have to be some out-of-the-game thing that you own from the start :
- It could be a spell so that you don't have it from the start. The beginning when you're thrown into the world is fun without any form of automapping. The automap makes sense when you travel back and back to previous locations.
- It can also be a list of maps for each location, that you have to buy, or to find directly to in the concerned location (in which case you can show the entire map or just the explored area).
Maybe that judging by the way Lurking is constructed having the map more or less hidden in the location may be a good thing ; after all looking for secrets is where Lurking shines, and on contrary with having to buy it you can still be impressed by a dungeon for a while before finding the map.

I don't know if a combination of both (spell for overworld map and maps for each location) or something like that is stupid or not.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Wondering if anyone has a feeling on this... As it fits the story of L2, we plan to make character death permanent. Would you hate it if characters were saved permanently dead real time or is it better to allow player to restore from a previous save point before the death? I should mention that in L2 you can drop off and pick up characters from the roster at adventurer guilds in some of the towns. This is, in fact, a necessary part of the game as certain parts require a character to be alone and others require a character of a particular skill ability to complete.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I don't like my characters to perma-die. I'll either reload a save and try again to not die or, Without a proper save system, I'll figure out how to save-scum.

Zep--

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I'd be OK with it if it's possible to get new characters up to speed quickly and easily. If you're keeping the monsters killed XP reward system from Lurking 1 then no, definitely not, as that would result in the very tedious task of grinding encounters while carefully supervising lower level characters as they slowly chip away at monsters your tough guy warriors could obliterate in some infintesimal fraction of a combat round. If you're using a group XP system and there are options to get back to town in a convenient way (this should, of course, consume resources) then it's fine.

PS. don't make me press A to attack in combat in L2, just let me move into a hostile creature roguelike style. Thank you for reading this post

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Based on opinions so far from this discussion and a similar one on another site, it seems like the best option would be to allow the player to restore from the last saved position if they desire. We will simply document our design that death is death and let the player decide their course of action and game experience. Would still love to hear more opinions on the matter even though I think those that play the game to completion will understand this question better in the end. Long way to go yet but we are working. :)

PS. don't make me press A to attack in combat in L2, just let me move into a hostile creature roguelike style. Thank you for reading this post
Thanks, Lord Rocket, for the excellent suggestion. I would like you to know that I have implemented this as an alternative aspect of the UI and it is beautiful. Love it!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
If you're using a group XP system

Also, as of right now a group experience reward is in use with individual character tracking of skill usage to handle skill increase accounting. The plan is to level up on the spot with bonuses to HP and MP but requiring a visit to an adventurer guild in a town to appear before the review board to (possibly) increase skills (which is where the skill use accounting comes in). It is probably not obvious, but in L1 characters contributing to battle with certain spells or songs receive partial EXP from another character's kill; but we felt moving to this system along with a skill 'use' accounting would be better.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Ok. There have been approximately 700 downloads of Lurking I: Immortui. Four players have reported victory to us. I issue the following challenge. The next 6 to complete the game and report back to us will be offered a free download of Lurking II: A Madness upon release and have the option to be a beta tester if they so desire.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seconding the map annonation aspect - No need to draw the map yourself, but text annonations are great. Especially if they look like in Ultima Underworld, I really loved that- as if you wrote on parchment.

Also, just a general comment - I absolutely loved Ultima 4-5, and so am dying to get into Lurking 1 and then 2...

But then , I found Helherron and it just absolutely swiped me off my feet. I have no idea when I'll finish it, gosh darn.

But when I do, I'll definitely put in effort into these 2 games of yours, so best of luck on the development of the sequel. (Still very much appreciate you adding the "faster movement" thing).

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
If you are/were stuck trying to obtain the alliance password, v1.3.0 fixes. Update and revisit 'The Sleepy Dragon' in Meridia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom