Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Venser

Erudite
Wow top 100 is a great achievement. Are you still using a discard focused deck?

Sometimes but I usually lose with it. Mostly I'm using White Weenie and Gruul Aggro

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ahh cool, mono white is crazy now. Gruul Aggro is one of the only creature decks I enjoy but I need to improve it a lot, I mostly lose with mine. I wanted to use Ilharg Boar but I always get owned early. I need to add more removal or something.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
tried to take my dimir to ranked... oh boy. No way to succeed against ug. I can nicely drop removals and discards but in the end opponent will have more mana and cards than me.

the only possibility I can think of is hitting krasis and uro with unmoored ego and making them discard all their nissas. but that probably doesn't even work because by the time you pull that off you've probably been killed by something :/

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The other night I won about 10 games in a row in Mythic, tonight I lost 10 games in a row. I went from about 800 rank down to 89% :( Spend some time trying other ideas in unranked and all I do is lose now. All my fun has gone :( The Torbran deck which was already brutal, is now consistently winning on turn 3. If I play a Meltis or something on turn 2 that isn't something super disruptive, then I am dead on turn 3. And if it isn't some super brutal aggro deck it is an unbeatable white blue deck because Dream Trawler which is unbeatable, I have 10 spells that can kill or exile it but he just discards a card to make it hexproof. And if I board wipe he has endless absorb and dovins veto.

I think it might be time for me to give up on bo1, it is just too one dimensional.

Although just now I have come up with a deck that might work to get back to Mythic after the reset. Instead of my Black White with a bit of Blue deck it is White Blue with a bit of Black. I tried 1000 different flavors if this same deck but I stumbled into one that seems better, the new Ashiok is pretty op too. Still, game got even more brutal than it already was.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I think it might be time for me to give up on bo1, it is just too one dimensional.

Yeah I think I'm going to do this too. I just gave BO3 draft a try for the first time ever and holy shit, it's amazing to be able to come back and recover from a round of getting RNG screwed. 3-0 now and I'd have two losses if it were BO1 due to opponent just bullshit playing crazy bombs on curve while I get land fucked.

One egregious match I just had was opponent playing T2 1/2 flier that reduces aura cost, attaching mirror shield (makes it hexproof), and then literally just spamming like 5 auras on top of the thing on curve, so it turned into this like 6/7 hexproof lifestealing flier that drew a card every time it attacked by turn 5. But that was an absolute nut draw, and he didn't get to pull that BS in the next two rounds which I was able to steal wins out of.

Anyway it basically just feels a lot better when one total bullcrap round doesn't decide the entire match.

tried to take my dimir to ranked... oh boy. No way to succeed against ug. I can nicely drop removals and discards but in the end opponent will have more mana and cards than me.
UG's about all I've been playing now since I gave in and cracked some packs while still storing enough nuts to play draft to get gems for the next mastery pass and I kept pulling the UG titan. That combined with crafting a playset of krasis back when he was first added means I just have to accept that I'm a scumbag. In my defense I haven't got any of the green cavalier.

UG's about all I've been playing now since I gave in and cracked some packs while still storing enough nuts to play draft to get gems for the next mastery pass and I kept pulling the UG titan. That combined with crafting a playset of krasis back when he was first added means I just have to accept that I'm a scumbag. In my defense I haven't got any of the green cavalier.
its ok, at least you are not white

rrrright?
I have two white quests, don't look at me Luka. DON'T LOOK AT ME

lukaszek If you're gonna honk me like that, what do you recommend for the Rakdos titan? I've got 3 of him, since I'm incapable of pulling gods or walkers but I'm apparently titan-bait. Guess I could try running those shitty vultures that don't cut the mustard as well as stitcher's supplier did. Not too sure about that card, the 2 mana opponent discards a card is sure as fuck not 3 mana heal 3 draw a card play an extra land, and the escape feels iffier since you aren't playing instants to ramp and shit. Maybe a beatstick for Grixis but I've never really played a Grixis deck.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
3-1 now last game was so stupid close :( Came down to last match and had the guy down to 1 health but just couldn't push through.

Opp had shadowspear, which is insane bomb and about has hard to remove as dream trawler, because I guess there's a total of three cards in the entire set that can interact with equipment. And guess what, my deck has none of the above! Sucks, my deck has literally zero bombs either unfortunately

BUT still, much more fun to play than BO1. First game shadowspear came down on turn 1 and basically locked me out of the match, second opp couldn't draw shadowspear so I won, third match was a huge slugfest that went until I decked.. I think I made a tiny mistake in declaring attackers towards the end that probably cost me the game.

Anyway, point is what would have been a 5 minute blowout match due to draw rng in BO1, turned into an hour long match with tons of decision making etc.. because of it being BO3. I'm now firmly a believer in BO3>>>>>>>>>>>>BO1

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Since the new set I went from winning about 60-70% to winning about 20% :( I am so annoyed at myself for blowing all my wildcards on some shit deck. I also can't play bo3 cuz I have 0 gold! :negative:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Since the new set I went from winning about 60-70% to winning about 20% :( I am so annoyed at myself for blowing all my wildcards on some shit deck. I also can't play bo3 cuz I have 0 gold! :negative:

Huh? Traditional standard ranked costs nothing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some decks are such fucking lameness. Like that Rakdos one which starts with Fervant Champion, uses Drill Bit or something to make you discard too, then Rotting Regisaur on turn 3, and attacks with Embercleave on it for 16 damage next turn. I don't get why people even play if that's what they are going to do. Press 1234 to win the game.

Maybe I'm in a bad mood but the game is disappointing me since the new set. I like a lot of the cool cards but it just upped the faggotry which was already extreme. There is also that mono white deck which can win on turn 3. It is the reason I stopped playing MTG:Online, especially in Classic/Extended, you have 40,000 interesting cards and mind blowing combinations but most matches are over on turn 2. :argh:

Standard is supposed to be less extreme but it is pretty crazy now. Good news is I got 4 new rare wildcards from the season end so I can buy a Dream Trawler deck or something and join in on the rofflestomp stupidness. Or maybe time to play some other shit I've been missing out on.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well Theros collection is now basically complete after binge drafting for the last two days and now I'm depressed :( Was a really fun draft format

Maybe I'll just draft every time I get 5k gold now instead of hoarding gold, even though I'll lose some value since I don't need any more rares. Buuuut I don't like BO1 as much as BO3... Buuut I also don't wanna risk straight up losing 1.5k gems on BO3 lol

Standard is supposed to be less extreme but it is pretty crazy now.
Standard just makes me sad after playing limited :negative:. Seriously wish low entry fee phantom limited was a thing ugh

Maybe I'll just draft every time I get 5k gold now instead of hoarding gold
No you madman, then you hoard for the next set so you can have an orgy with it. I haven't even done any Theros drafting yet, anything key to watch out for?

I also wish they had phantom draft though, ideally with no fee and no rewards. I'm physically incapable of enjoying draft when there are prizes on the line. Was another area where Artifact shit on everyone else.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Maybe I'll just draft every time I get 5k gold now instead of hoarding gold
No you madman, then you hoard for the next set so you can have an orgy with it. I haven't even done any Theros drafting yet, anything key to watch out for?

I also wish they had phantom draft though, ideally with no fee and no rewards. I'm physically incapable of enjoying draft when there are prizes on the line. Was another area where Artifact shit on everyone else.

Well if I spend the gold now I'll get gems for trad draft when the next set releases.

There's so much to watch out for in this set, so many different ways to draft great decks. There are a bunch of cards that are common or uncommon that are insane bombs IF put in the right deck, it's very possible to build a 7-0 deck without drafting any rares/mythics.

I like to watch this deathsie guy before drafting new sets, he hovers around #1 mythic and is very creative with deck building

https://www.twitch.tv/deathsie

maybe just watch the drafting portion of some vods on 2x speed to get a feel for what's good etc..

There are a bunch of cards that are common or uncommon that are insane bombs IF put in the right deck, it's very possible to build a 7-0 deck without drafting any rares/mythics.

I like to watch this deathsie guy before drafting new sets, he hovers around #1 mythic and is very creative with deck building

https://www.twitch.tv/deathsie

maybe just watch the drafting portion of some vods on 2x speed to get a feel for what's good etc..
I'll keep 'em in mind, thanks. Though I'm still gonna raredraft like a motherfucker since all glory to constructed.

Deleted Member 22431

It is because Banishing Light is worded "exiled UNTIL Banishing Light leaves the battlefield." So the card returning is not a trigger that you can set off prematurely. It's the same difference between Tidehollow Sculler (which has a leaves the battlefield trigger) and Kitesail Freebooter (which has the "until xxx leaves the battlefield", like Banishing Light).

Tidehollow%2BSculler%2B%255BMD1%255D.jpg

Two triggered abilities

Kitesail%2BFreebooter%2B%255BXLN%255D.jpg

1 triggered ability only
I have fond memories of Magick. These cards look very interesting. So is this Arena game worth it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom