Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Venser

Erudite
MTG hitting a new low, whoring itself even harder than Mortal Kombat does.

qel72DGbDNgL.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
there is a detective thingy ongoing on arena, here are a bunch of codes you can punch for xp and cosmetics and extra event(for cosmetics)
Alquist
impeccable
murdered
Golgari
Oba

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Anybody play the weekly event draft where all cards have no mana cost? Good shit. First game - opponent goes first. Spends 5 minutes masturbating drawing half their deck. By the end of it he chunked half my life, discarded my whole hand and had lethal onboard. 10/10 felt like playing against a vintage combo.

Next game I go first. Draw half my deck. Unload some big fuckers. Buff and haste them for the kill.

Turns out cards have mana costs for good reason. Who'd have thought.

Anyway, what are you guys playing now? I'm mainly running Dimir midrange, budget UW artifact aggro and some blue tempo with haughty djinn. No cards for anything else really.

spectre

Arcane
Fuck, I've relapsed...:negative:
Fingers crossed that I won't be staying long this time round. I mean, WOTC really seems to be out of their way to make playing Standard a bother.
No rotation? It's basically use a 3 mana sweeper or go home format. Plenty of decks that would have been viable in a healthy environment simply won't be able to keep up.

Anybody play the weekly event draft where all cards have no mana cost? Good shit. First game - opponent goes first. Spends 5 minutes masturbating drawing half their deck. By the end of it he chunked half my life, discarded my whole hand and had lethal onboard. 10/10 felt like playing against a vintage combo.
I've seen a guy who obviously hasn't read the event description and drafted a "normal" WG deck with lands. Poor sod.
Just played for the three wins to get the goods. It's basically: pick as much card draw as gets thrown your way AND/OR hope to combo out with haste (the bots offered two picks of Rhythm of the Wild, so yeah).

Anyway, what are you guys playing now? I'm mainly running Dimir midrange, budget UW artifact aggro and some blue tempo with haughty djinn. No cards for anything else really.
I've been playing djinn tempo since it came out. I enjoy having a deck like this around whenever too much combo nonsense happens (which is kinda right now)
Sadly, it's simply not equipped at all to deal with the fucking turn three WR convoke blowout, and on the other, everyone these days runs a fucking cavern of souls these days
AND everyone worth their salt will have some sort of anti-graveyard tech for all the combo nonsense running around.
On the draw, you're basically dead on arrival. Running Ephara's Dispersal (alongside the full playset of Fading Hopes) feels like a must, just to dig out a serpent in a reasonable time,
but it's such a shit card vs. non-aggro. Can't be bothered to spend rare wc on Consooming Tides to see if they make any marked difference. Doesn't cost three, so prolly doesn't.
There is also a ninja-themed variant with no rares, but I can't say it does any better.

If you're looking for budget stuff, a RG Picnic Ruiner combo only uses rare lands (RG, so it isn't ideal, cause the UGR meta combo deck in which could otherwise salvage them only goes basics for the fetching)
and lets you pull off a turn three kill and is pretty consistent with turn 4 kills.
Unfortunately, has no interaction and is not suitable for Bo3, but on a good day, it should give you a good time.

I've pieced together a decent-ish WB control with some token generation, Beseech the Mirror for consistency as well as a bunch of silver bullets. Been pretty fun so far, but it's basically a slap 4x Lockdown for a good time kind of arrangement. Nuts how shit like Wedding Announcement and Resplendid Catherer is has become too slow for this standard, but at least letting them go made me warm up to Kutzil's Flanker. I was skeptical at first, but the draft gods have tossed a full set at me and they've been doing Lord's work.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I quit years ago because of the hand picked opponents based on what deck you use. I can't believe they did that.

spectre

Arcane
Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. TBH, I don't really care if they pick peeps for me to crush, and you will start seeing familiar faces at upper Diamond every now and then.
So long as they're not salty crybabies who will rope me cause my deck choice tickles their chakras weird.

Gotten a random Zergo and Yugohai (or whatever the fuck it's called... two characters in one card, what is this? Fucking pokemans?)
Crappy flavor aside, it's a control vs. control package that I've been looking for for quite a while, an obvious sign from the rng that I need to throw together a WUR.
Which I did. Had to make some concessions because I missed on a bunch of rare-lands and I didn't exactly have a full set of planeswankers to go with it...
and I also only have one Memory Deluge. But at least I have the helixes and Silver Scrutiny is only a bit worse. Still, managed to slap a guy real good with it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ever considered switching to brawl? Your decks would be kindly waiting for you. Then you would just launch 10 quick games with quick concedes, hoping to get single, legit, fun game

Perhaps it does
i'm a mtg veteran, i played thousands of games and hundreds on this, i had a pro tour winner ragequit after being bitchslapper for an hour straight, trust me i'm no scrub. this game cheats on every level. fixing matchups is the least, the game also manipulates starting hands and draws, to the point of being predictable played card by played card. back in my day combo decks weren't really based on their combo, they were on their drawing engine. have a look at the suggested arena decks: barely any drawing at all, because experts know that if you're supposed to win the right cards will magically appear in your hand.
i pushed my rating up through the use of some top deck, had about 40% win rate. then switched to some purposely horrible deck with no synergy at all, i kept the same ratio, the same opposing usual decks suddenly started not drawing their combos, mana flood or screw every other game, the usual ways i previously lost my games. i once, once, just once, in a real match, drew 14 out of 17 lands in the first 15 turns. it happened once, it could happen. in arena it happens every day, multiple times. it's not ridiculous: it's retarded.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
ever considered switching to brawl? Your decks would be kindly waiting for you. Then you would just launch 10 quick games with quick concedes, hoping to get single, legit, fun game
Yeah well, singleton is a hard pass for me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yeah well, singleton is a hard pass for me.
fair enough. Still you might not believe how often you expect opponent to have a specific card at hand even though people can build any deck and even if its there its 1/100.
Yet if your opponent was holding 1 blue mana for past 2 turns you know that there is a wash away. And there are many others like that.

For me its the opposite, with 4/60 situation and clear ladder meta, you know 90% of the opponent deck just by looking at lands. I mean in brawl I might know 90% of opponent deck earlier, by looking at commander but at least games do not feel samey. That and being concede happy. Cant stress enough how scooping is important to keep one sanity in flood of poqs or one of many value piles

spectre

Arcane
I'm fine playing competitive, that's what the ladder's for. This means the decklists are mostly known (although there are variations, a UW control with and without Flanker can feel completely different to play against)
and that's fine. It's like playing chess with an opponent who goes with a by-the-book opening. There are still meaningful decisions and mistakes to be made. That's what competitive means to me.
I'm also referring to Bo3, because if you play this game in Bo1, you're basically doing it to yourself.

Of course, unlike chess, MTG is a silly random game which sometimes decides one player doesn't get to play at all.

fair enough. Still you might not believe how often you expect opponent to have a specific card at hand even though people can build any deck and even if its there its 1/100.
Yet if your opponent was holding 1 blue mana for past 2 turns you know that there is a wash away. And there are many others like that.
Well, I believe despite the apparent freedom, there's a limited number of cards that make sense, unless you're throwing together a random value pile.
If you're making a blue control, in 4/6o, you toss in 4x Dissipates or whatever's the good pick these days. In singleton, you fuck around with 1 Dissipate, 1 Wash away, 1 Ertai's Scorn, etc.
While I get the concept, and I even do this oh so clever substitution shit from time to time when I'm short on wildcards, yet still want to try something.
In the end, it's making things more awkward than they need to be. If I want to see clever interactions between underutilized cards, I just go play limited.

And if you're referring to all the shuffler patterns... yeah, that stuff is legendary. Scry a card to the bottom of the library then immediately draw a duplicate?
When shit like this happens at least twice a week you stop being fazed by it.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Ok so

i've been talking a lot of shit about mtg lately but i heard that there was a ravnica draft happening that had RNA cards in it so I NEEDED to come back for my favorite all time draft experience clear the mind omg so much fun i force drafted it like 5 times it (RNA was only one of the three draft packs so getting CTM wasn't guaranteed) was amazing

basically if you don't know it's you do nothing but remove all their shit for 40 turns and let them deck out

25.png

ok but then I was passed field of the dead, which I guess is in the new set or something, so I got this sick fotd deck that actually wasn't very good but was fun

26.png

i've been playing the new artifact remix draft like a crack addict now I'm down like 7500 gems after a string of 0/1-3s (format's fucking hard) but just went 7-0 with this sick dance of the manse deck

27.png

p1p1 dance of the manse is the coolest thing ever

there's a lot of interesting possibilities in this draft (opp is playing some investigate mill thing) but there's a lot of bomby low cmc cards that opponents can curve out into and fuck you in the first three turns. LOTS of t1/t2 rare drop into t3 planeswalker or similar bullshit from my opponents so it was nice to finally dish it out for a change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for timeless I've been playing with titan field cuz zombies

I tried making a lotus field combo deck for explorer, it kinda works but it's pretty inconsistent and even if you pop off with like t4 ultimatum it doesn't guarantee a win but it's fun

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
me new record in begdrafting - 14. I think im gonna do a lot of drafting of this set. Judging how I had 4 rares in my opening pack even quickdraft should be decent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom