Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do starter decks only play each other?

Their ranking system seems to match-make pretty well, determined on your placement. I only play limited but I tend to crush everyone until platinum and then I settle in diamond, reaching Mythic in sets I really, really enjoy and play well - sometimes I'm not good enough to make it. And once in diamond my opponents seem to be at the same level. I assume it would be the same sort of feel in Constructed and there's typically always an affordable aggressive deck that can make it all the way.

But there's no limit on who you can face depending on the rarity of your deck, afaik. Once you're out of the start period thingy, that is.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
But there's no limit on who you can face depending on the rarity of your deck, afaik.
rarity is taken into account even in constructed ranked queues, to some degree.

in play queue its main factor. In brawl its quite important factor.

For example in past I reated mono red uncommon commander. Had under 5 rares in total. Decks Ive faced were very newbie-like. Another factor was low ammount of removal.
But eventually as you amass amazing win ratio, you get paired with proper opponents.

In play queue you can match against starter deck newbie as mythic player with some low rarity abomination. I recall cgb using some donor requested deck, playing it in play queue not to tank his rank and realizing that he is playing only newbies.

It was less visible in early days of arena, when newbies would gravitate towards mono red or merfolks

EDIT: limited is hella annoying with trying to push you down. You can be bronze on winning streak, for 6+ win you will start seeing people 2+ ranks. Im very big on limited conspiracy theories

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But there's no limit on who you can face depending on the rarity of your deck, afaik.
even in constructed ranked queues

Where do you have this from? It is definitely not a factor in limited queues. I play a shitton of limited.

EDIT: limited is hella annoying with trying to push you down

Not the case in my experience and it would make little business sense from a WotC perspective. I typically make 5-8k+ surplus in diamonds until I'm out of platinum and begin losing as much as I'm winning. It's when I hit diamond and go for mythic they can actually make a business case out of me.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I made 2 decks: a brainless red aggro deck, and a flooding/healing black deck. Definitely seems like I face better players when playing the second deck.

just realize that winning or losing is out of your control. if you created a deck with just "0: win the game", at some point you'd be drawing only lands.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
just realize that winning or losing is out of your control.
My average midrange deck draw (I mulliganed away 4 lands):
20231123161459_1.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
went 7-1 in tarkir. Spending 2mins to read on format paid of big time as its quite different:
- get more lands as you want to hit 5 mana on turn 5 because:
- morph 5+ is where strong creatures are. Under that value you can safely trade as it wont be able to survive 2/2 critter

and yes Grunker I shall put my tinfoil hat yet again as after 4th win me, lowly bronze, was paired against gold and platinium. Still was on track to pull 7-0 but then I land flooded and couldnt finish the guy of.

Was beg drafting as usual, but those 2 points that I shared doesnt appear to be common knowledge, at least on low/mid ranks and my meh deck was able to secure victory

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
xp and sleeve from the logic puzzle
https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/1aqu0zl/mkm_mystery_has_been_solved_free_5k_xp_and/

copy following deck:
Deck
1 Extract a Confession (MKM) 84
1 Homicide Investigator (MKM) 86
1 Leering Onlooker (MKM) 91
1 Glint Weaver (MKM) 162
1 Granite Witness (MKM) 206
1 Meddling Youths (MKM) 219
1 Furtive Courier (MKM) 59
1 Case of the Stashed Skeleton (MKM) 80
1 Out Cold (MKM) 66
1 The Pride of Hull Clade (MKM) 172
1 Reckless Detective (MKM) 141
1 Novice Inspector (MKM) 29
then rename it to
thewayisopen
then check your email

Still playing this constantly, only notable update is I've somehow turned into god's gift to draft. Last few sets I've been slapping the holy hell out of everyone and I'm not sure why, not really researching the cards before I dive in and I'm still raredrafting which should theoretically hurt the quality of my draft decks but I dunno. Most enjoyable draft this set was going simic with two Dopplegang and actually getting a winning run out of that jank.

Constructed-wise I haven't been playing much fun, fucked around with some Rakdos graveyard garbage (Technically better to just reanimate Atraxa but to hell with that I'M PLAYING THAT 6 MANA 3RRR GRAVEYARD DRAGON AND OLIVIA AND that fucking black equivalent of fight rigging which feels impossible to trigger even with a self mill deck but god DAMN it) and Azorius artifacts 'cause god damn it it's fun to make the Urza planeswalker. Artifacts are slightly alright since Akal Pakal has a fat ass to protect you and can give you some good card advantage, Chimil is fun as fuck and much more tolerable with Urza discount and powerstones, and there are even a few decent cards from this recent set for it with that 5 mana sphynx (1 colorless sac an artifact to get a keyword of whatever type, usually hexproof to protect it but 5/5 flying lifelinker can save your bacon) and even the 3 mana mythic dork that lets you sphynx's revelation on sacrificing a clue. There are times I think I'd be better off playing some counterspells in it but when I'm playing the deck in large part because I want to play Chimil I don't really want to just put counterspells into hand if it hits them. Will say symmetrical powerstones hurt a fair bit since most everyone's running creature lands.

For netdecking though that Golgari bullshit with the 2 mana plant enchantment looks fun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just can't with the set design these days (for limited, I have no idea about constructed). I'm usually not very nostalgic with MTG design and stuff like Dominaria and War of the Planeswalkers are up there as my favourite sets along with Khans. But the last many, many sets have had such quick matches with absurd speeds and higher and higher On the Play-winrates, I just can't be assed. I don't even dislike the mechanics or set design, but the games play like ass and half of the mechanics can't function in formats this fast.

I get the digital zoomers don't want to play long matches, but there's gotta be a balance where you can release just one set once in a while that isn't this blisteringly fast.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
im happy to report my take on whats up with limited. in premier everyone and their mother was trying to do white-whatever. As result black was open.
Now you have bots that leave black open. And there are a lot of murder to be found. Doing beg quick drafting and still finishing with 6 murder is normal. And there are other quality removals.
As such midrange black-whatever decks that just keep hitting face are strong. up to plat people didnt get the memo

Jason Liang

Arcane

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
I love the Karlov manor set because I drafted it in real life and beat the two best players of our group with my red/green/white big boys, removal, combat tricks and clues. Only lost one 2-out-of-3, of 5.

Dr1f7

Scholar
mtg so dead it's not even funny
why haven't you taken the yugioh pill yet?
i mean, look at this card design

sky_striker_ace___raye_by_masaki2709_dceqq9f-fullview.jpg

super sugoi
if some artist from wotc came up with this, they'd be fired for drawing a white person

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
MTG has been incorrigibly gay for more than ten years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom