Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Manor Lords - medieval city-building with large scale battles

motherfucker

Educated
Well? Anybody got it yet?

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
There's still 1 hour to go.

I'm not going to buy it straight a way since I'm not sure how it runs on Linux in which I'm a new user.

motherfucker

Educated
m3tg2j.png

Ironmonk

Augur
150.000+ players right now

I will probably wait till May 10th (the day that the EA discount ends) to buy... but from the comments on steam, it seems that the game runs fine on linux (at least for most people).

motherfucker

Educated
Yeah this game is fucking lit. First medieval city builder which is a significant all-around upgrade over modded Banished. Lots of small UI and controls problems here and there, but that's to be expected with a UI this big. Very impressive.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing it, pretty good so far. Of course it's still early access and limited, but it has cool ideas that make it different enough from other titles in the (well-saturated) genre.

I like how dynamic the placement of homes is. They can be any shape and size. Bigger size means they get a backyard where you can build gardens, chicken coops, goat pens, or later when you upgrade the home you can build craft workshops. Some items can only be produced in these workshops so homes become part of the economy too.

I'm playing on easier difficulty settings for now (difficulty can be adjusted piece by piece: frequency of raids, demands of population, which season to start in, etc) but already lost my second game due to mistakes.
After 3 years you will get the first bandit raid. You have to produce enough weapons to survive it or they'll fuck you up. They're not hard, but their numbers are enough that a single militia troop won't do. You gotta stock up on arms. I didn't produce any yet and was stuck with a tiny militia that got overwhelmed, then the bandits burned my town down.
In my second game I got stuck in hunger hell because I didn't build enough fields. You really need to assign lots of acres of your land for fields, otherwise you won't get enough food. And you can't plant the same crop every year either, because fertility will go down. You have to do crop rotation or leave a field fallow to restore its fertility.

Pretty cool so far. Still has a lot of missing features but even in its current state it's better than many other city builders.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What JarlFrank says. But I found it way too bare bones atm. I guess I played too many games of this kind. Asked for a refund, which I got in record speed for some reason.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Norland, Manor Lords, Espiocracy, Sons of Valhalla, Old World, Xenonauts 2, Menace (from Battle Brothers devs), Falling Frontier, Soviet Republic, Clanfolk, Into the Storm...

All published by Hooded Horse. We know from Manor Lords and Xenonauts 2 that they also invest not only promote games they publish, like things were done before. C'mon, that's quite an achievement for today. Objectively respectable
Hooded Horse also publishes Empires of the Undergrowth which features BLACK ants

heh, sorry bigots.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
40 dollars is too much for early access IMO, especially considering the dev has stated he has NO plans to release a roadmap. I know plans can often change, but I like to have some idea of what's to come and how much needs to be added because at this time you are essentially paying 40 dollars for a demo, with not even a hint of what's to come

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I find annoying is settling new regions you won by conquest. You have to essentially build a new settlement there with the starting amount of villagers, which can be a slow process. There's a way to exchange resources between regions but it's a barter system where you give X in exchange for Y. If you have nothing to give, you can't recieve anything, which means you can't fast-track your new village's development with generous gifts from your main region.

Eventually managing multiple villages sounds like it's gonna be exhausting, although if you set things up well enough and treat the other villages just as resource extracing colonies, it might work out well enough.

Ironmonk

Augur
I will probably wait till May 10th (the day that the EA discount ends) to buy
Why?
the answer to that is after the part you quoted... I'm a linux user, and I'm waiting for more feedback from other linux users to see if it works 100% or not. I will decide after the next two weeks of feedback and buy it before the discount ends (not after, if that was what you understood).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I only played an hour and so far my experience is that it's a medieval Rimworld with fancier graphics.

Exactly what I wanted.

:happytrollboy:

A cool feature is that it has seamless zoom on a pretty large map, like Sins of a Solar Empire. Makes me wonder if late game with tons of entities will lag hard.

DemonKing

Arcane
Tried on Gamepass for an hour or so and found it pretty dull. I can see the appeal but I'll admit I am a goal-focused person so this kind of game doesn't usually appeal to me.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only played an hour and so far my experience is that it's a medieval Rimworld with fancier graphics.

Exactly what I wanted.

:happytrollboy:

A cool feature is that it has seamless zoom on a pretty large map, like Sins of a Solar Empire. Makes me wonder if late game with tons of entities will lag hard.
How do you make the comparison? You can't interact with your citizens at all, except setting them to work as a family unit? The game to me seems very hands-off when it comes to your citizens in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom