Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 : LP Complete, Releasing Control.

Angthoron

Arcane
I guess that makes the Illusive Man a douche and an idiot. Funny how one of the most influential and cunning humans (according to Bioware) is such a moron as not to include locks that would reveal any contradictions on a mission built on contradictions!

zenbitz

Scholar
I don't know what's worse, the obviousness of the trap, or the fact that the Collectors are too incompetent to actually TRAP Shepard and Normandy. Also, they let you get away with the Omega-3 macguffin coordinates.

Is it a "Star Wars" Empire trap, where they let you go on purpose? OH TEH MYSTERY!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yip, p big plot hole.

Also RK, please stop wearing the DA armor. It's way too stupid looking to exist.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gotta wait till tomorrow or something. Work is taking my time and I was messing around with other games for a bit.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
PlanHex said:

Oh yeah, about that...errrr..hey look someone who thinks Oblivion is really good!

*bolts*

starfish said:
Brother None said:
Heh. And every guard is 3 days away from retirement, right? This is like a bad film script.
I don't get it. What cliche is this in reference to?

Financial planner: It doesn't look like you've been saving anything for the future!
Wiggum: Well, you know how it is with cops. I'll be shot three days before retirement. In the business, we call it retirony.
Planner: Well, what if you don't get shot?
Wiggum: What a terrible thing to say! Oh, look! You made my wife cry!
—The Simpsons

random_encounter

Educated
zenbitz said:
I don't know what's worse, the obviousness of the trap, or the fact that the Collectors are too incompetent to actually TRAP Shepard and Normandy. Also, they let you get away with the Omega-3 macguffin coordinates.

Is it a "Star Wars" Empire trap, where they let you go on purpose? OH TEH MYSTERY!
I'm still stunned over EDI's ability to hack into a completely alien network and find the data they needed. Then again, they did infect giant alien ships in Independence Day with a virus, so I guess it's cool.

MOAR

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I've been playing the Firewalker DLC that came out yesterday, and I love that hovertank. The levels were also well-designed to take advantage of the hovertanks mobility with lots of ramps and cliffs to jump off (however the freezing snow level on a timer can go to hell and die)

The five missions that came with it were mostly a lot of fun (see above remark) but I want more hovertank now. Hopefully more missions to use the tank will come down the line in the future.

This LP has been fun to read so far, and that dragon armor is making me want to get DA:O just so I can get it.

Soulforged

Scholar
Angthoron said:
I guess that makes the Illusive Man a douche and an idiot. Funny how one of the most influential and cunning humans (according to Bioware) is such a moron as not to include locks that would reveal any contradictions on a mission built on contradictions!
The point of having an AI on board is to provide an entity which can innovate and not simple set of programs which are interconnected. EDI acts as such, you could in theory lock it's access to certain information stored somewhere (like Cerberus resources, operative cells, the construction of the Normandy, etc.) but you cannot seriously prohibit it from researching, analyzing and providing information on its own, with the necessary conclusion which it's able to obtain and present, it would make no sense.

Now if you follow the next scenes you'll realize that the Illusive Man doesn't really care if you find that he set you up or not, since you don't have much of a choice. The place is an obvious trap but is a trap that you cannot avoid, no other way of knowing how the Collectors travel through the Omega 4 relay.

Soulforged said:
Angthoron said:
The point of having an AI on board is to provide an entity which can innovate and not simple set of programs which are interconnected. EDI acts as such, you could in theory lock it's access to certain information stored somewhere (like Cerberus resources, operative cells, the construction of the Normandy, etc.) but you cannot seriously prohibit it from researching, analyzing and providing information on its own, with the necessary conclusion which it's able to obtain and present, it would make no sense.

That would seem to be horribly unreliable though.

Shepard: Tell me about X.
EDI: I can't tell you about X.
Shepard: Relying only on the information that you are allowed to tell me, make your best deduction on what X is.
EDI: OK, I can do that!

Bioware already established that AI in Mass Effect is considered unpredictable.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, I think tricking an AI could be a very interesting gaming mechanic for another game universe. "Compumancers" use logic and trickery to manipulate machines, not brute-force hacking.

Gondolin

Arcane

RK47

Patron
We were betrayed. Or perhaps viewed as expendable. Guess we're not that special.

01.jpg

Time to get some answers.

02.jpg

s.jpg
Cut the act. You set us up. And you better have a damn good reason for it.

i.jpg
We needed the information on the Omega 4 Relay. That required direct access to Collector data. It was too good an opportunity to pass up.

s.jpg
Agreed. But I don't like surprises. Especially when my ass is on the line.

i.jpg
I put you at risk, yes. But without that information, we don't reach the Collector homeworld. And you and every other human may as well be dead.

03.jpg

Sigh. I guess, EDI is a new electrical warfare system good enough to beat alien computers.

s.jpg
You could have told me the plan. You say I'm important, but you sure try hard to get me killed.

i.jpg
I needed the Collectors to believe they had the upper hand. Telling you could've tipped them off in any number of ways.

I still don't get why the ship doesn't just power up and engage its mass drive core. That would've left Shepard and his team no chance to escape at all.

i.jpg
Besides. I wouldn't have sent you in if I didn't think Bioware would let you succeed.

s.jpg
You have one job -- information. If I can't trust your intel, you're useless to me.

i.jpg
It's never that simple. You of all people should know that.

Yeah. For humanity, sacrifices are needed and shit.

s.jpg
I know that I'll be more careful. With the Collectors, and with you.

i.jpg
This is no time for petty grudges. Things are about to get a lot tougher.

You're kidding. I didn't break a sweat since mid to late game upgrades are good enough to beat the level scaled enemies in INSANITY mode.

i.jpg
EDI confirmed our suspicions. The Reapers and Collector ships use an advanced IFF system that the relays recognize. All we need to do is get our hands on one of those IFFs.

s.jpg
I was just on a Collector ship! Why didn't you say anything about finding their IFF?

i.jpg
As I said, Bioware just wrote it. Besides, it wouldn't be epic enough for the console crowds if the game finishes 1 hour from now.

04.jpg

i.jpg
A very old mass accelerator. I sent a team to find either the weapon or its target. They found both. The weapon was defunct, but it helped us plot the flight path of the intended target -- a 37 million year old derelict Reaper.

Right. 37. Million. Years. Bioware, why do you like to pull random number out of your asses?

i.jpg
We found it damaged and trapped in the gravity of a brown dwarf.

s.jpg
I only believe you because I doubt you'd repeat yourself so soon.

i.jpg
It's no less of a risk, Shepard. We lost contact with Dr. Chandana's team shortly after they boarded. Initial recon revealed no clues, and it was too risky to commit more resources -- but now we need that IFF. I'll forward the coordinates to Joker. In the mean time...I suggest you tell your crew I didn't risk their lives unnecessarily. It will make things easier going forward.

s.jpg
EDI -- tell the crew to assemble. We've got a lot to talk about.

06.jpg

RK47

Patron
Of course, by the 'crew' they meant the 'non-optional' crew of Miranda, Jacob and Mordin. The rest of the crew is semi-optional, you need a certain number of squad mates recruited before the plot will advance. Frustrated with the possible permutations of recruited members, Bioware decided to pussy out on the debriefing and slot in the three must-have members instead.

07.jpg

m.jpg
Lied to us. Used us. Needed access to the Collector data banks. Necessary risk.

s.jpg
He tries something like that again and the Collectors will be the least of his problems. EDI, are you sure this IFF is going to work?

e.jpg
My analysis is accurate, Shepard.

08.jpg

mi.jpg
That can't be right.

s.jpg
EDI doesn't make mistakes. The Collector homeworld is located somewhere in the galactic core.

j.jpg
Can't be. The core is just black holes and exploding suns. There are no habitable planets there.

m.jpg
Could be an artificial construction. Space station protected by powerful mass effect fields and radiation shields.

mi.jpg
Even the Collectors don't have that kind of technology.

s.jpg
The Collectors are just servants of our real enemy. And we've all seen what their masters are capable of. They built the mass relays and the Citadel. Who's to say they can't build a space station surrounded by black holes? No wonder nobody's ever returned from a trip through Omega 4 mass relay.

09.jpg

e.jpg
Standard relay transit protocols would not allow safe transport. Drift of several thousand kilometers is common, and would be fatal in the galactic core. The Reaper IFF must trigger the relay to use more advanced, encrypted protocols.

s.jpg
Just because we can follow the Collectors through the relay doesn't mean we can take them out. I don't want to go after them until I know we're ready.

j.jpg
Sooner or later we need that IFF. I say, why wait?

mi.jpg
It's a derelict Reaper. What if the Collectors are waiting for us? We may want to build up our team before we take that kind of risk.

10.jpg

11.jpg

I don't know. This one's super-subtle. Remember a front page Codex news article where a site complained that Bioware failed at implementing time-critical objective? This is it folks!

"Huh? What do you mean?", you asked.

I'll try to explain. After this point, you're free to choose between two general objectives:

1. Go after the Derelict Reaper. OR
2. Recruit more members & do loyalty missions.

Guess which one triggers the time based objective.

:roll:

circ

Arcane
I HAVEN'T FOLLOWED THIS PLAY THROUGH MUCH. HONESTLY, AT ALL. BUT SAY, CAN YOU FUCK JACOB? HE SEEMS LIKE A CANDIDATE FOR HOT MANO A MANO ACTION.

I TELL YOU BUDDY, THERE'S NOTHING QUITE AS HOT AS TWO DARK NUBIANS, OILED UP AND HORNY AS FUCK GOING AT IT WITH EACH OTHER WITH THEIR OVERSIZED BLACK MAMBAS.

RK47

Patron
So we're not rushing it, alright? And no, there's no Ass Effect in ME2. The Dragon Age LP is that way.

001.jpg

m.jpg
Too important to wait. Just received data, still processing, analyzing likely scenarios. Not sure how to begin. Too much intel. You remember our talk? My work on genophage modification?

Recap: Mordin realized the Krogans are adapting to the genophage and decided to 'update' it to ensure that their birthrates remain at low numbers. This is all 'For the Greater Good'

s.jpg
You stopped the krogan adaptation to the genophage.

m.jpg
Part of a team. Scientists, all different types. Blood Pack mercenaries captured former team member. Maelon. Last seen on Tuchanka. Might torture him. Make an example.

002.jpg

s.jpg
Do you think they found out your team updated the genophage?

m.jpg
Unclear. No way to determine until we get to Tuchanka.

s.jpg
We'll go to Tuchanka and see if we can find your team member.

Tuchanka is the Krogan's homeworld. We should bring a native, like Grunt. Let's check how's he doing...

003.jpg

I don't think there's any melee weapons except a rifle butt, Grunt. But do share.

004.jpg

Grunt...relax it's probably just...

005.jpg

Grunt pulled back his head and...

006.jpg

Smashed it onto the glass.

g.jpg
See? Why do that? What's wrong?

s.jpg
I will not tolerate outbursts on my ship! Get a hold of yourself!

Damn, he's gonna be a liability if this keeps up.

g2.jpg
I'm trying! When we're moving, fighting, there's no problem. But here, my blood makes noise. It's screaming. I've got no past to lead me. The tank gave nothing about itching plates and losing control.

s.jpg
Don't know if I can help, Grunt. Sounds like we need one of your kind to look into this.

g.jpg
Most offworld krogan are warriors. Doctors don't leave the homeworld. Tuchanka. I won't ask you to go there. I will control this.

But since we're going to rescue Mordin's ex-colleague anyway...

s.jpg
Joker can get us to the krogan homeworld. I need everyone at their best.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Doesn't look like a friendly place. I wonder if we have to shoot the natives?

lightbane

Arcane
That Grunt seems to be even more retarded than Wrex. I wonder if you can kill him too (or better said, if ME3 will include a Krogan to shoot to continue the joke).

RK47

Patron
This music fits well with the game. Honest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDPUWdjA ... re=related

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

s2.jpg
You know what's wrong with him? What he needs?

013.jpg

e.jpg
Urdnot clan reports use weak encryption. I see references to a captured salarian in the logs of a chief scout.

Clan Urdnot? Uh-oh.

m.jpg
Good. Talk to scout, then. Or chief. Either one is acceptable.

e.jpg
Also, I have been unable to access local medical records. I suggest asking the local clan leader for assistance with Grunt's problem.

014.jpg

Tuchanka's will probably never see better times.

015.jpg

And Grunt seemed to agree.

g.jpg
This chunk of rock is barely worth standing on! Never thought I'd miss the tank.

Let's check the shops for some upgrades. Or whatever they got left in this rock.

016.jpg

s2.jpg
Everyone I talk to hates that aliens are in Urdnot. Except you.

r.jpg
I don't have the luxury of turning away paying customers. I do enough business off-world to know that you aliens have more credits than people here do.

s2.jpg
What do you have in stock?

r.jpg
Most of it's food and drink that's toxic to humans. Ryncol' a local favorite. Don't try to act tough. It'll tear your insides apart.

g.jpg
He's not joking. Ryncol hits aliens like ground glass.

r.jpg
Otherwise, I've got weapons, scraps..and whatever food those pyjaks don't steal..which isn't much.

s2.jpg
What the hell is a pyjak?

r.jpg
Offworld vermin. Humans say they're like monkeys. They come in and steal food., ryncol..whatever they can get their talons on. We started using the mounted defense cannons to stop them.

s2.jpg
I'm a good shot. Maybe I can help out with the pyjaks.

017.jpg

Uh...wait a minute.

018.jpg

You've got to be kidding me. I'm shooting monkeys with a rocket turret.

019.jpg

Three waves of them! Do this and you get discount!

020.jpg

021.jpg

:smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Epic storylines! Shooting monkeys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom