Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

pippin

The best part about this thread is the people saying that the artist used bio characters so bioware has the right to use the pictures.

Might actually be true. Copyrightability isn't as simplistic as DeviantArtists usually assume. F.ex. if you take a screenshot of a game made by somebody else, you will have to make a pret-t-t-ty strong argument if you want to claim copyright on it.

But those are not screenshots are they? Didn't the artist render them himself?

It's still using previously copyrighted material. People who go to conventions are getting into trouble for doing stuff like that.

Seethe

Arbiter
The best part about this thread is the people saying that the artist used bio characters so bioware has the right to use the pictures.

Might actually be true. Copyrightability isn't as simplistic as DeviantArtists usually assume. F.ex. if you take a screenshot of a game made by somebody else, you will have to make a pret-t-t-ty strong argument if you want to claim copyright on it.

I think it's a ME 3 screenshot

pippin

The one with the krogan is a me2 screenshot, I think it's what happens when you free him from that research facility.

Prime Junta

If the artist made the models and the renderings, he'd have a stronger case. Even so, it's a gray area because s/he's using certainly-copyrighted characters from a certainly-copyrighted franchise. S/he certainly wouldn't have full copyright, since the franchise owner still owns the characters. If it went to court, they would determine either that the fanart was not copyrightable, and therefore the franchise owner gets to do whatever they want with it since they own copyright of the characters in it, or, at best, that consent from both parties is needed to do anything with it. And since the franchise owner has the right to just deny the artist the right to use their characters in what they do, either way the artist is kind of fucked.

Yay for IPRs in late capitalism.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This keeps getting better... after removing player ability to change weapons for squad mates, to pause and tell them to use power x, now they confirm that there wont be alternative armors for squadmates, something that was present in all previous mass effect games, so you are stuck with the same armor all game... except those that Bioware sells through DLC of course. a

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5yu534/ian_frazier_just_confirmed_there_wont_be/

The responses are even more dumbfucked that i thought possible:

Am I the only one who doesn't have that much of a problem with it? You're still a civilian mission, not military. Your people wear what they want. There is such an immense amount of creative energy going into such design matters. It has to be coordinated with the writers, tons of drafts are made, the color palette has to work in all environments (quite a difficult design task by itself already), and so much more. I gladly surrender the task of dressing up my squadmates to Bioware. They know what they're doing, I don't. I'll just end up slapping whatever gives the best stats on them, then be annoyed since it looks shit, then wear slightly weaker pieces to make it look a bit better, but in the end my human-armor wearing squadmates in ME1 and companions in DA:O looked rather like your everyday-RPG heroes instead of as it fit their characters.

I think the DA:I system is best: you can equip whatever you want on them and it changes its look to one of two that are specific for that character. Of course I still would've preferred to have two different art styles for each character again, but I also understand how difficult it is to even find one look that you're satisfied with as the creative team behind it.

I'm not a fan of Peebee's midriff, either, but if dressing like that is part of her character, so be it. Having reason to not like a character can sometimes make things a bit more interesting if you let that translate to your ingame actions.

I actually don't mind this I never used them in any of the games. Mass effects 1's were always too colorful or make the character look ridiculous. Mass effect 2's were just a different color but the original looks better. Mass effect 3's was the same as Mass effect's 2.

I see why you're concerned but let's be honest here, the loss of "control over their powers" really isn't a loss at all. They're automatically choosing the power that makes the most sense when you tell them to.

Sure, in the OT you could tell them which one to use but you'd either pick the right one for the situation or you'd tell them to use Incinerate on Shields... you see what I mean?

I'd happily buy alternative outfits as DLC.

Thane's outfit with the shades is great, especially on his loyalty mission. Got that cool dad thing going on lol

i cant even...

raesha

Educated
Copyright laws are a fair deal more complex than it being their property in a legal sense as long as they create the render themselves, if they don't own the character illustrated.

There are plenty of hobby projects that have been shut down over the years even though the grunt work involved wasn't done by the copyright holders.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I see what the point that the person saying that choosing powers was redundant was, but he isn't thinking about when I would want the party member to use a specific power, even though it mathematically might not be best. And this isn't LARPy either. Some powers had functionality that overlapped with one being better in that function. However, the other power had some functionality that made it work for the fight that the AI might miss. And also, tactical decision making (even if unnecessary) shouldn't be taken out if it works.

guys, this is going to be even less rpg than fallout 4. give up all hope.
it's call of duty in space 2, only with worse everything.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I see why you're concerned but let's be honest here, the loss of "control over their powers" really isn't a loss at all. They're automatically choosing the power that makes the most sense when you tell them to.

Sure, in the OT you could tell them which one to use but you'd either pick the right one for the situation or you'd tell them to use Incinerate on Shields... you see what I mean?

:what:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This game reminds me of Hillary Clinton's 2016 Presidential campaign. There has to be a man on the inside sabotaging everything. If so, Godspeed brother. :salute:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This game reminds me of Hillary Clinton's 2016 Presidential campaign. There has to be a man on the inside sabotaging everything. If so, Godspeed brother. :salute:
Indeed, 9 days to release and its a mess in reddit and social media, everyone worried or making fun of bad animations, lip syncing, weird faces, absurd recommend specs, stealing shit from deviant art.

And every trailer or gameplay clip they release fuels it even further with even more insanity like that gun firing backwards.

Lambach

Arcane
Indeed, 9 days to release and its a mess in reddit and social media everyone worried or making fun of bad animations, lip syncing, weird faces, absurd recommend specs, stealing shit from deviant art.

I don't get it, all I see are Biodrones whining about the community being "toxic" and I've only seen standard dick-riding other than that. Is the criticism of the game centered only on social media/Plebbit while YT remains shill central or what?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This game is just a trainwreck and you people are gullible enough to go and give these hacks at Bioware your money once again. Makes me laugh.

/u/Nzash, come and see the light!

The Twitter guy is just trying to create unnecessary drama

No, it's necessary drama.

They probably talked to it

Pure, undistilled, wish fulfilment

Padzi

Arbiter
At this point it's just becoming a routine
C6pPyQCWkAAqPYv.jpg:large

Trust nobody, not even yourself.

She is so quirky guys, she even shoots her gun backwards. Also that spark of insanity in her eyes...

Authentic concept art from Bioware Montreal:

cI1CPcp.png

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
tk8nWi2.png

So apparently Synthesis Ending turned everyone into trannies. Trully a cuck-SJW heaven. This is what happens when you let Canadians design games.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom