Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

None of the ME characters are particularly great though. They fit tropes. And if incloosiveness hurts you, consider Lara Croft was going to be a latina at first. Would that hurt the enjoyment of TR1, for instance? I don't think so. Then again, the character was different back then. Bio can only do pseudo anime stereotypes.
absolutely not, mainly because the character of lara is not the focus of the game. the focus of mass effect are its characters, its setting, its lore.
mea is as a lore rape as the transition from morrowind to oblivion.

Prime Junta

You know what the best thing is about the ugly default characters? You're stuck with them; not a single thing I've heard is about a custom character creator like in the old games.

This is BioWare trolling the world. They're going to make everyone look fucking awful and then count how many gaming sites will ignore the character designs and animations completely.
Well, to be honest, the pc port for ME1 had a bug where the graphic quality was stuck in Medium. The third party in charge of its development never fixed it.

I haven't heard of this bug.

I have. Was wondering why it looked like complete shit. There is a workaround though. Applied it, and after that it looked technically pretty damn good.

Visual design was still shit, but you can't fix that with a gfx patch.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
At this point it's just becoming a routine
C6pPyQCWkAAqPYv.jpg:large

C6odnsMWwAQbBAF.jpg:large

C6pOO8mWsAAAMAc.jpg:large

pippin

That image gave Liara smaller titties, what the fuck.
Also they could always claim it's "their" content. But it's still lazy as fuck.

Lambach

Arcane
Is it wise to put a picture of a good-looking Asari like Liara in a game where one of your Asari companions is blue Shrek? People are bound to start asking why they couldn't model her to be at least somewhat close to Liara in appearance.

Rev

Arcane
It's not mockery, but a pastiche of movies like Boys n the Hood and the west coast hip hop scene. Just like Vice City was a pastiche of Scarface and GTA V a pastiche of Heat. The Houser brothers are huge hip hop buffs.

You're right that Rockstar are far from politically correct though. Having people living in a segregated hellhole speak without using street slang would have been the politically correct thing to do. Rockstar doesn't strive for political correctness or inclusiveness. They look for an interesting setting, pull some contemporary music scenes, take the plot of a blockbuster movie and cram it together to make a game.
I agree with the sense of your post, but I think R* did make a parody out of the setting, just like how they usually make fun of several Hollywood tropes or of different aspects of American society.
The whole "da hood is your family" got mocked by a lot of characters and you as well are bound to realize how it doesn't really mean anything as you progress in the game and you are betrayed, and later move on and find your place in different cities/locations.

I totally agree with the second half of your post, anyway.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I posted it on reddit just to stir up shit, and it panned out... bioware degenerates coming out of the woodwork just to defend the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect...poilers_bioware_using_fan_art_in_mass_effect/

Thanks to using google images and photoshop for assets, they are saving a lot of time and resources which allows them to focus on the game itself and provide great content, gameplay, and story with well developed characters. I think it's a great idea.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Thanks to using google images and photoshop for assets, they are saving a lot of time and resources which allows them to focus on the game itself and provide great content, gameplay, and story with well developed characters. I think it's a great idea.

If only there was a Google images for animations.

Prime Junta

The best part about this thread is the people saying that the artist used bio characters so bioware has the right to use the pictures.

Might actually be true. Copyrightability isn't as simplistic as DeviantArtists usually assume. F.ex. if you take a screenshot of a game made by somebody else, you will have to make a pret-t-t-ty strong argument if you want to claim copyright on it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The best part about this thread is the people saying that the artist used bio characters so bioware has the right to use the pictures.

Might actually be true. Copyrightability isn't as simplistic as DeviantArtists usually assume. F.ex. if you take a screenshot of a game made by somebody else, you will have to make a pret-t-t-ty strong argument if you want to claim copyright on it.

But those are not screenshots are they? Didn't the artist render them himself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom