Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

MuffinBun

Educated
I'm too much of a storyfag to get past that tbh.
I can totally see that. Have not finished it myself. Even 'make your own story' approach is made difficult by the fact that you have to roll with the companions bioware made for you. In a Bethesda game that would not be the case. Cora was my favorite, btw. She seemed more functional than most people on the ship. Most characters were quirky teenagers, regardless of station or age. I dont see such a team operating a space mission.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not a storyfag and I can't get past that. The only good thing about it is that there's so much text and dialogue that it can almost single-handedly push your foreign language skills up at least a level.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wonder if it's possible to explain away some of ME2's nonsensicality, and also enjoy the trashy fun of playing as a Renegade character, by just LARPing that Cerberus botched the Shepard revivification project and accidentally rebuilt her as a retarded lunatic. Does the game react in any way if you play full Paragon in ME1, then import the save into ME2 and suddenly turn into a Renegade psycho?
People are supposed to, but when I played one playthrough with a Renegade Shepard in ME1 and then a Paragon Shepard in ME2 nobody said anything throughout the series. Probably some obscure in-game section or dialog you can easily miss.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dudes, you can go from being a non-biotic to a biotic and vice versa between games without anyone reacting to it. Reactivity was not Bioware's priority.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yeah, reactivity was shit in Mass Effect. No one notices changes in class or karma between games, and if you played the series across different platforms (as I did) and couldn't import saves, Bioware's versions of the previous games' events assumed you were retarded rather than just provide a Daggerfall-style series of questions at the following game's outset.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Technically, a lot of your choices are remembered and reacted to, but it's mostly just small flavor text or inconsequential rewards. Besides, how do you program reactivity to a change of personality?

Semiurge

Cipher
Dudes, you can go from being a non-biotic to a biotic and vice versa between games without anyone reacting to it. Reactivity was not Bioware's priority.

And as a biotic, you can ask questions about biotics like a total noob, even though you're supposed to know the basics already. Shepard is meant to be a grunt, deal with it :negative:

Falksi

Arcane
That seemed to be a problem with Bioware's "red and blue" morality system in general when they still took that approach. I remember with Jade Empire the red path actually had a philosophy behind it that is explained multiple times in the game. But when your character actually chooses those options in dialogue, 90% of the time it's just you acting like an unhinged madman.
Yeah I'm still not really sure what Paragon and Renegade actually are, especially the latter. In ME1 Paragon seemed to be standing up for the values of the Alliance and doing your job properly (acting professionally, limiting casualties, etc) while Renegade seemed to be trying to get yourself court-martialled (acting like a prick to everyone, reckless endangerment of bystanders, making no attempt to de-escalate situations). But in ME2, Paragon is anything from killing "bad" people to lying to a war crimes tribunal to cover up for Tali's dad (why is this "Paragon"???), and Renegade is anything from being a bit brusque with people to actually executing civilians.
They are... very complicated. In 2 and 3 they boil down to: good guy goes here(top), bad guy goes there(bottom). But in 1 its really interesting because basically, they don't mean much. That game is much closer to older games with dialogue trees, rather than anything that came later. Its just that for console sake all these options from the dialogue tree, which could span over 10-15 lines or more, were segregated and placed on a wheel. So the inquiries were relegated to the separate menu, opened by the left dialogue choice(s), whereas the more constructive options or actions were put to the right. Now, as to those: this is not the professional/rough divide, neither a good/evil one in absolute terms, you may find it hard to determine the principle with that approach, because in that game they're not going for that kind of roleplaying in which there are some predetermined paths that are incompatible, like, the path of the Sith vs Jedi; where you make a decision to be one or the other, and then basically you pick good/evil options consistently. In such games you could probably just have a mode where at the start you pick "i want to be good this playthrough" and then the game would automatically pick your dialogue options and you would loose none of the experience. (ME3 works exactly that way)

But in ME1 it's more about the actual roleplaying: you're put in the place of this space commando officer and you're supposed to just adapt to the situation, and act in the way you think is the most appropriate for that kind of person in that kind of moment. The game presents you with pre-written options, and even sorts them in a way, so that the top right option in the menu is always the most approving one, the softest one, whereas the bottom right is the roughest - in that specific context. But only a moron would pick them consistently, every time - because this is to not understand the game, and the fact that this does not represent two archetypes you can play as(like in later bioware games), but is simply a way all the available options are situationally placed on the wheel, for your convenience.

So, if you would pick for example renegade options consistently, your ME1 Shepard would make no sense.

In conversation about the role of humanity in the galaxy, renegade option will be something like: "We look after ourselves, we're not afraid to expand assertively, whether the Council likes it or not"
And in conversation with Ashley, when she says the famous line about attack dogs, the renegade will tell her to shut up. Whereas it is the paragon who sees the point in her story and appreciates it.

The renegade option is in one case chauvinist, and in the other anti-chauvinist. That makes sense, because renegade is not a personality type, but rather a loosely-approached position on the dialogue menu. The appreciative will always be at the top, but the content of that appreciation may differ from criminal acts to petting bunnies. That makes for very fun roleplaying experience, because you cannot just blindly click the same button, but you have to think about what would make sense in any given moment. There are people deserving of being listened to(top right), others that deserve being put down(bottom right), and in many cases the appropriate option is the middle one - like when you're receiving orders from Hackett or whatever. So thats very cool but they did not replicate it in later games.

It's also the thing that the game itself tricks you into thinking in this binary terms, since higher persuasion skills have alignment requirements. But if I remember right, these requirements are not that high, so that could be interpreted in a way that is not so at odds with the general philosophy of this system.

Good post.

The morality in ME1 was done pretty well, as was the whole game. There really was a foundation for something brilliant to follow, and instead Bioware somehow decided to choose the wrong direction to proceed on almost all of them.

Well the cunts are as good as dead now anyway, so fuck 'em.

Lemming42

Arcane
Got curious enough about the morality change idea, especially after finding a few people online claim that the game does acknowledge it, to actually try it. Blitzed through Mass Effect 1 over a couple days, always picking the top right dialogue choice regardless of circumstance, and maxed out my Paragon bar with virtually nothing in the Renegade bar.

Mass Effect 2 and I go to the Garrus recruitment mission. I spent the whole of ME1 telling him violence is unacceptable and that we should think twice before killing even Saren. Picking the bottom right option here, I say to him "I'm sick of sneaking around. Let's spill a little merc blood." His reply? "Glad to see you haven't changed."

Yep.

Yosharian

Arcane
guys you can get the LE for free on Origin through Amazon Prime. It ends tomorrow.

Not that I particularly want to play it, but free stuff is free stuff I guess

MuffinBun

Educated
Vac9vtM.png

killing Weed and Harris in one playthrough... truly a renegade experience.

racofer

Thread Incliner
You guys should check this channel out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCocG3kTKHIxGabue1nwTI6w/videos

Several comparisons of the original game with the "improved" version. I remember the bad scenes on the original game after the LE came out, and that looked awful, but the extent of the changes go far beyond that, even with ME2 and ME3. The retards at Bioware have completely butchered these games. Even the audio got fucked.

Yosharian

Arcane
You guys should check this channel out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCocG3kTKHIxGabue1nwTI6w/videos

Several comparisons of the original game with the "improved" version. I remember the bad scenes on the original game after the LE came out, and that looked awful, but the extent of the changes go far beyond that, even with ME2 and ME3. The retards at Bioware have completely butchered these games. Even the audio got fucked.

At this point you are beating a dead horse, we went through all this on release, the popamole fools who think that ME3 combat mechanics make ME1/ME2 better will say anything to justify LE being better, they'll even tell you to your face that LE looks better even though it is objectively awful.

I can guarantee that their response to your video will be something along the lines of:
  1. "I think the audio sounds better, because it sounds like they are in a big room which is more 'cinematic' "
  2. "The crackling/popping is just your audio drivers, I never experienced anything like that"
  3. "I think the graphics look better, you can actually see what the characters are doing"
  4. "LE textures look better" (even though the originals + mods can achieve better results)
Then following that you'll get a bunch of people coming into the thread to complain that you posted in here at all because they hate Mass Effect in general

Just stop wasting your time and move on

Quillon

Arcane
it would have if they had done it, I don't see ME3 combat in ME1-2 LEs
Proper remaster would take them ages to complete. Since next Mass Effect was already going on, they could not do it with all the pandemic slow down.

upgrading combat woulda been the only real reason to remaster/remake the games, games weren't that old anyway/twas a cashgrab project all along - cpt. obv

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
upgrading combat woulda been the only real reason to remaster/remake the games, games weren't that old anyway/twas a cashgrab project all along - cpt. obv
Upgrading combat would require full remake. There would be no other way. That would cost even more time and money. Tbh, I rather they work on new ME than loose that much time on remake.

J1M

Arcane
Upgrading combat would require full remake. There would be no other way. That would cost even more time and money. Tbh, I rather they work on new ME than loose that much time on remake.
That's like saying that modifying a gun or the AI would require a full remake. It is nonsense.

Wunderbar

Arcane
That's like saying that modifying a gun or the AI would require a full remake. It is nonsense.
me1 and me3 combat systems are entirely different, it would indeed require to redesign the entire game to accommodate for the revamped combat.

Shepard can biotic-charge towards enemies as well as slide and vault over obstacles, so there would be a need to alter the level design. Overhauled movement would require changing behavior patterns of all enemies. Changed level layout and enemy AI would require a new encounter design. New abilities would require a different character stat system, different stat system and modified gunplay would require a different itemization with less copypasted vendor trash, etc etc. You can't just slap ME3 combat into a different game without changing almost everything else in the process.

Not to mention that ME1 was based on an early version of unreal engine 3, which was receiving upgrades with each new game. By 2012 the engine was different enough to cause problems with backporting newer stuff into older games - Epic added a bunch of new modules (such as Matinee animation sequencer, or Kismet scripting) that weren't present in the early UE3 builds.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
You need to have a more positive attitude.

I am positive that people who can't see problems with the lighting changes would be fine if only Shepard's movement changed.

I am positive they would be fine with slide and vault as new skills learned in ME3.

I am positive they would be happy if they automatically passed all skill checks for unlocking objects.

I am positive that the back-porting of skills would be trivial compared to the same ask if the engines or programming languages were different.

I am positive players would accept a version of the skill tree without biotic charge for ME1.

I am positive that EA didn't want to spend any money on improvements that can't be seen in a screenshot.

Etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom