Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
He gets fleshed out more in ME3 than ME2 despite not even being a companion.
Except L’Etoile got fired after ME2 and Legion was subsequently butchered by his new writers.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
Does this make ME2 the Last Jedi of the series?

Yes and no. It makes the same baseline mistake of trying to reset the story at the mid point but unlike TLJ it actually has some redeeming qualities. The shooting is genuinely better, the characters are for the most part more interesting(although bullshit at times) and... well thats pretty much it but you get the point. ME2 structurally changes the trilogy into a quadrilogy but Bioware was either too lazy or contractually bound to deliver three games. Either way for all the good it did momentarily it fucked the series in the long term.
Also, I have a lot of trouble with the writing in all three games, ME1 somewhat less so, but in ME2, putting the main quest aside it's actually got quite a nice amount of decent missions. Pretty predictable for the most part but were else am I going to get this kind of vicarious space opera stuff? It made it extra dissapointing in ME3 when they included way fewer characters and side-missions. God these games suck so much. It's a house of shit built on a solid foundation and it's just sad to see.
ME2 suffered from having so many characters, many of them barely got any involvement at all -- look at Legion, easily one of the most interesting characters in the series but barely gets any screentime in ME2 because he gets recruited so late. He gets fleshed out more in ME3 than ME2 despite not even being a companion.
Yeah I'm remindered of the YT-er Smudboy who said Jacob and Zaeed should be combined into one character, called Zaeed. But still I'd say Bioware would've liked to have at least as big a cast in ME3 but EA wanted them to wrap things up pretty quickly and they rushed the whole thing.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
ME2 was really goood. Problem went down when you jump into ME3. You were with Cerberus, a bad guy, and in ME3 you're suddenly a good guy working with Alliance and fighting IllusiveMan and Kai Leng. Kai could have been more fleshed out. Don't get me started with god child. They could have make story with Sovereign AI from Vermine and follow it. ME3 has the weirdest story choices in trilogy.

Ravielsk

Magister
ME3 does not have you "gather the troops"
In fact, it's possible for you to have your entire squad at the very start of the game depending on choices you made in ME1 and ME2 and don't have the Javik DLC.

I meant it in the sense that you are basically wrangling the whole galactic community into actually putting up some sort of unified resistance against the reapers. The plot pretends the reapers got the jump on everyone even though previous two games were all about preventing them from doing just that. Its like whatever time passed between ME2 and ME3 was not utilized by any of the space races to expand, prepare or have some sort of contingency plans for this invasion they knew was coming. Most of the mainline missions at least in some way consist of reminding the clowns that they need to stick together, especially now that they are unilaterally getting their assess kicked.
Cerberus stuff no less aggravating as it consist of them kidnapping and sabotaging human rescue efforts to build a army of ground troops... which are worthless when fighting sentient space ships.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
Everything past ME1 is the video game equivalent of popcorn. No salt or sugar in ME3 though. Very dry taste. Lair of the Shadow Broker was pretty good.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yes and no. It makes the same baseline mistake of trying to reset the story at the mid point but unlike TLJ it actually has some redeeming qualities. The shooting is genuinely better, the characters are for the most part more interesting(although bullshit at times) and... well thats pretty much it but you get the point. ME2 structurally changes the trilogy into a quadrilogy but Bioware was either too lazy or contractually bound to deliver three games. Either way for all the good it did momentarily it fucked the series in the long term.
Also, I have a lot of trouble with the writing in all three games, ME1 somewhat less so, but in ME2, putting the main quest aside it's actually got quite a nice amount of decent missions. Pretty predictable for the most part but were else am I going to get this kind of vicarious space opera stuff? It made it extra dissapointing in ME3 when they included way fewer characters and side-missions. God these games suck so much. It's a house of shit built on a solid foundation and it's just sad to see.
ME2 suffered from having so many characters, many of them barely got any involvement at all -- look at Legion, easily one of the most interesting characters in the series but barely gets any screentime in ME2 because he gets recruited so late. He gets fleshed out more in ME3 than ME2 despite not even being a companion.
Yeah I'm remindered of the YT-er Smudboy who said Jacob and Zaeed should be combined into one character, called Zaeed. But still I'd say Bioware would've liked to have at least as big a cast in ME3 but EA wanted them to wrap things up pretty quickly and they rushed the whole thing.

Zaeed was a great character so I disagree. It's a shame his VA died.

Codex Year of the Donut
ME3 does not have you "gather the troops"
In fact, it's possible for you to have your entire squad at the very start of the game depending on choices you made in ME1 and ME2 and don't have the Javik DLC.

I meant it in the sense that you are basically wrangling the whole galactic community into actually putting up some sort of unified resistance against the reapers. The plot pretends the reapers got the jump on everyone even though previous two games were all about preventing them from doing just that. Its like whatever time passed between ME2 and ME3 was not utilized by any of the space races to expand, prepare or have some sort of contingency plans for this invasion they knew was coming. Most of the mainline missions at least in some way consist of reminding the clowns that they need to stick together, especially now that they are unilaterally getting their assess kicked.
Cerberus stuff no less aggravating as it consist of them kidnapping and sabotaging human rescue efforts to build a army of ground troops... which are worthless when fighting sentient space ships.
The illusive man was indoctrinated and nobody in a position of power had a good reason to believe anything you said because officially you died. You shouldn't be alive.
Its like whatever time passed between ME2 and ME3
They happen only a few months apart.

Vatnik Wumao
He gets fleshed out more in ME3 than ME2 despite not even being a companion.
Except L’Etoile got fired after ME2 and Legion was subsequently butchered by his new writers.
Meh, I liked ME3 Legion. And his ending scene if you broker peace between the Quarians and Geth is quite well done.
Particularly that little detail of him switching from using 'we' to using 'I' when referring to himself right at the end.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
It's not well done! The group consciousness aspect is part of what made the geth cool and unique. Turning it into a Pinocchio story deprived them of that and totally missed the point of what the geth were in ME2.

Vatnik Wumao
It's not well done! The group consciousness aspect is part of what made the geth cool and unique. Turning it into a Pinocchio story deprived them of that and totally missed the point of what the geth were in ME2.
It didn't miss the point, since the Geth sticking to what made them 'cool and unique' is what led them to worship the Reapers as the pinnacle of AI development in the previous titles.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
It didn't miss the point, since the Geth sticking to what made them 'cool and unique' is what led them to worship the Reapers as the pinnacle of AI development in the previous titles.
It's what made *the ME3 version* of the geth follow the Reapers. The writers aren't the same and thus the vision isn't consistent.

Codex Year of the Donut
Legion is a collective individual.
refer to e.g., the Star Trek TNG episode that has an individualist borg(I, Borg)

Remember that Legion was tasked with understanding organics, so it's somewhat natural that he would over time develop a different viewpoint than other geth platforms.

In many ways, Legion is the Shepard of the geth in the same way that Shepard is the ...well, Shepard of humans.

Vatnik Wumao
It's what made *the ME3 version* of the geth follow the Reapers. The writers aren't the same and thus the vision isn't consistent.
The Geth who were pro-Reaper in the previous titles likewise revered the Reapers in the same manner, so nah.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron

Why do you disagree? Jacob is the one that should be excised. Zaeed was a mercenary. Make HIM the guard at the station for the Lazarus project, barely any changes. And yeah, Zaeed was kinda simple but I can't help but love him.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Remember that Legion was tasked with understanding organics, so it's somewhat natural that he would over time develop a different viewpoint than other geth platforms.
Legion is made up of 1,183 programs. That's why he used the "we".

Codex Year of the Donut

Why do you disagree? Jacob is the one that should be excised. Zaeed was a mercenary. Make HIM the guard at the station for the Lazarus project, barely any changes.
I honestly don't remember anything about Jacob at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
And due to studying organics(& help from Shepard, I assume -- I never did a run where I didn't help Legion,) Legion came to understand that the 1,183 programs made up a singular entity("Legion")

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Vatnik Wumao
And the upgrade in ME3 made him use 'I' at the end, yeah.

I think that you are misunderstanding the pre-ME3 relations between the Geth and the Reapers. The former refused to be 'upgraded' by the latter not because they did not want to become like the Reapers, but because they did not want to use Reaper tech to achieve said end (whether out of mistrust for the Reapers or due to a belief that a peak AI should self-engineer himself to reach that point rather than being uplifted by an outside force).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom