Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Comte

So are the stories about extra rare early print copies of Akalabeth a hoax?

Someone on E-Bay was making and selling counterfeit copies of Akalabeth for big $$$ several years ago.

Repressed Homosexual
Wow so Robert's interest in interactive entertainment begun due to a hipster experimental "interactive movie" at the Montreal Expo '67, who would have thought that we might have never gotten Wizardry without it.

Wow so Robert's interest in interactive entertainment begun due to a hipster experimental "interactive movie" at the Montreal Expo '67, who would have thought that we might have never gotten Wizardry without it.
As you probly know Wizardry was developed by a kid in college (based on similar RPG's on the college mainframe computer), he would have found a publisher eventually.

Repressed Homosexual
As you probly know Wizardry was developed by a kid in college (based on similar RPG's on the college mainframe computer), he would have found a publisher eventually.

The thing is that without the Siroteks to help kickstart the company and promote the game, Rob and Andrew's game might have forever remained obscure or even lost in history like countless other games of the era did. There were a lot of other PLATO-inspired RPGs in these days done by hobbyist like them. They could give it a nice cover, market it well, build some hype, etc.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Hipsters didn't exist back in 1967. It's pretty clear by now that most of the first generation video game developers didn't and don't view gaming as some sort of high brow entertainment, so even if they made some of the best computer games of all time, they don't view them, or game design&development in general, the same way people in rpgcodex do

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Since they had nothing to compare their work to, I assume they just made whatever they liked. There's a certain purity to that.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Alzheimer's is not a funny subject and people should not make fun of it.

Also, the theories that you can see it coming decades in advance are all accurate. I will personally vouch for it.

Norm's new office looks like a notary republic nook behind a brothel. I saw some customers going in the window back there while he was talking. The sky is the limit when you are with the winnarz..

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Shame that Matt (and Sirotek as well) is so clueless about the japanese Wizardies, there are so many questions I would like to ask about those...

Also, I froze for a momment when he read that book title wrong "A Beginner's guide to Computer Role-Playing Games", I thought it was a new book just like mine. :3

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Wizardry 6 was the first game to have fantasy AND sci-fi"

Meanwhile, 10 years before at Ultima 1:

Ultima1-14.png
Ultima1-16.png

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Listening to him talk about catering to hardcore gamers with Wizardry 4, I can't help but wonder if he'd think that way if they still developed games. Of course there's an enormous gap between Wizardry 4 and Dragon Age 2 and a thousand shades of gray between the two. When judged by modern standards, the whole series is a niche, hardcore product. According to him, back in those days games like Wizardry were played by secretaries and kids at schools.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think Might and Magic 1 had a little bit of scifi?
"little bit of scifi" is not what i would use to describe a game about hunting a prisoner who escaped his (effectively) alien captors when their spaceship crashed on an artificially created flat slab of land...

^ NERD!

I know Matt had a lot of things to ask Robert but I wanted him to ask about permadeath.

I suppose Robert answered it by saying 'we want our players to laugh and cry'

Plus there is no need to get butthurt about wizardry's permadeath cos you have to keep a stable of adventurers.

get a level 1 party to level 4 for example
swap out 3 characters for level 1 noobs

Use the ability of the 3 remaining level 4 chars to take the level 1 chars into more dangerous fights so the level 1 chars level up quickly.

keep a stable of adventurers handy for the inevitable death or teleportation into walls

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom