Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't blame him. If anything I've read in this thread is to be believed, he's making a significant amount of money while engaging in his hobby and I feel like hes just as excited to listen to developers he interviews talk as any of his fans are.

There's no point in jeopardizing that by being confrontational with his guests and I honestly don't think he's the confrontational sort unless he was pushed to it somehow. He does hint at not appreciating wokeness in games or in general but he also doesn't really want to get into that because many of the people he interviews are still active developers and if Matt is branded as some type of racist/bigot/misogynist, they won't come on his show anymore.

I'm also curious to know what is defamatory about what was said in the clip?

It does sound like a bunch of bs to me but I don't know enough about TSR to say if its accurate or not. I am interested in Dnd/TSR history even though I have no desire to ever play pnp, I just enjoy learning where the systems I came to enjoy in crpgs so much, derive from and what the development process for the systems/rulesets was like. The drama and controversies and legal battles surrounding Dnd also interest me. Matt's done some great interviews regarding those topics but it never seems to get too controversial.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's pretty crazy to me that he's actually an English professor.
I find it crazy that he's supposed to be a professor, i.e. gives lectures and talks to audiences. Yet during interviews acts like a downtrodden nerd who's taking a girl out for the first time in his life. Never a follow up question, never a back and forth with his guests. And those AWKWARD LONG SILENCES, where even the guests are like "well maybe I should say smth if he's not gonna ask a follow up...", and then they both start speaking at the same time, and both stop. A classic.

The only time he does well is with guys like Fargo who can lead. Because Matt can't.

And after all these years, you would think he'd get better at it. He got zero % better.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You're absolutely right haha especially about the awkward pause, guest usually takes the initiative right when Matt decides to talk and then they both talk at once.

He never improved, his interviews from 8 years ago to now are the same. He also does well with guys that can just ramble on, the latest interview was good because the guest has a lot of life experience. I liked one recently with a former SSI guy, George MacDonald. It was funny in the end he admits he kind of had a midlife crisis and realized he couldn't keep up with the changing market and switched careers.

Boleskine

Arcane
Rusty is a 30 year veteran of the game industry with both developer and publisher experience at Interplay and beyond. He's shipped games from the NES to a plethora of games on the PC to shipping titles on the PS4 and Switch. His titles range from the AAA to pioneering indie experiences for PlayStation Network to pushing the limits for PSVR. His productions include Descent, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, Flow, Flower, and many more.

Last edited:

A horse of course

It's pretty crazy to me that he's actually an English professor.
I find it crazy that he's supposed to be a professor, i.e. gives lectures and talks to audiences. Yet during interviews acts like a downtrodden nerd who's taking a girl out for the first time in his life. Never a follow up question, never a back and forth with his guests. And those AWKWARD LONG SILENCES, where even the guests are like "well maybe I should say smth if he's not gonna ask a follow up...", and then they both start speaking at the same time, and both stop. A classic.

The only time he does well is with guys like Fargo who can lead. Because Matt can't.

And after all these years, you would think he'd get better at it. He got zero % better.
That's exactly what professors are like though

Pound Meat

Prophet
Matt is doing Youtube shorts now.

:rpgcodex:
DPpzJnw.png

Fallout 3 on the PS3 is the preferred experience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ernest W. Adams is a game designer consultant and professor of game design. He's a former Lead Game Designer at Electronic Arts and Bullfrog Productions and founder and first chairman of the IGDA (International Game Developer Association.) Ernest and I chat here about everything from hats to what it was like sitting across from the great John Madden in the recording booth.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Much more interesting interview than I expected, especially since I don't really care about American football and Madden series.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Didn't he say this before? Either way, if its the end of the line, I think he did an incredible job considering he's a terrible interviewer. He must not be making the money that some here have alleged he's made.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I agree but he's also getting older, maybe his priorities have changed? I believe he's married and may even have children. He does seem like he was just as excited for the interviews as any of his fans would be. He even interviews these guys as if he was a star struck fan.

Also, he's been at it so many years, maybe he feels he's done all he can do? I'm sure there are still other old school developers I've never heard of that would be interesting to interview but he's already met with some of the greatest minds ever involved in crpgs.

Side note, just discovered your blog and I enjoy it, you're doing a great job. I disagree with you on some things, I love IWD2 but I will be checking back in with your blog on a regular basis.

Unrelated question, does Lilura ever update that blog? It also seems like her blog isn't like most where there's a date and then content, the content is just all over the place.

axx

Savant
If money is the issue, I guess he don't enjoy doing these interviews.
He said he likes interviewing people, I think he just got bored making videos, playing games and '"reviewing" them. After all these years you get fed up with it and just have to move on. Also compare the latest interviews with some older ones (e.g. Scott Miller), there's a noticeable difference in the style, now it's more of an casual chat than an interview. But I really liked the Rusty Buchert one.

grimace

Arcane

Due to dwindling support for Matt Chat, I'm announcing that 498, my interview with Rusel DeMaria, will be the final episode. Thanks to all those who supported me over the years!​

Support?

Low view counts?
Low comment interaction?
YouTube not providing him with traffic?

screenshot2022-12-01aizd4k.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree but he's also getting older, maybe his priorities have changed? I believe he's married and may even have children. He does seem like he was just as excited for the interviews as any of his fans would be. He even interviews these guys as if he was a star struck fan.

Also, he's been at it so many years, maybe he feels he's done all he can do? I'm sure there are still other old school developers I've never heard of that would be interesting to interview but he's already met with some of the greatest minds ever involved in crpgs.

Side note, just discovered your blog and I enjoy it, you're doing a great job. I disagree with you on some things, I love IWD2 but I will be checking back in with your blog on a regular basis.

Unrelated question, does Lilura ever update that blog? It also seems like her blog isn't like most where there's a date and then content, the content is just all over the place.
Yeah, you are right. It's just me being a bit cynical. That burn-out feeling is real, even for something you enjoy doing.

And thanks, appreciate it, more reviews coming, just need to finish stuff :P About Lilura, I don't know. She seems to disappear for a while, then suddenly make a comeback.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Lilura is a strange one, I was surprised to learn "she" also claims to be from taiwan or something. I suppose I'd be more surprised to learn she's actually female. Anyways, I'm just asking if I'm missing something on her blog.

Like, your blog is a typical blog with dates and then content.

Her content is undated and all over that website. Is there a part of the website where she has content with dates on it?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can someone post their speculations on how much matt was making from patreon recently? Can't find itt atm

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone post their speculations on how much matt was making from patreon recently? Can't find itt atm
Graphtreon does not show much change in the last year or so, but I have no idea how accurate their estimates are.

On the Matt Chat Discord, Matt kept mentioning that the low support for his show makes him discouraged from making further episodes. It was still pretty surprising to everyone when he yesterday abruptly announced the end. I had just started arranging an interview with Mark Darrah (former Bioware) for him.

1669969431704.png

I won't post Matt's full thoughts from Discord, since they probably are not supposed to be public knowledge, but it seems that he lost the enthusiasm for the show some time ago and is looking to do other things, such as working on his own old-school Might&Magic style RPG.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
What kind of support is he talking about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom