Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mature and rational discussion re: itemization in Pillars of Eternity

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I rather have limited inventory space and juggle a few important items than having unlimited space and being forced to play fantasy Gamestop, taking 80 identical sets of used armor and weapon to shop to exchange for one new item.

One system forces you to make decisions, the other forces you to make busy work.

I made this exact argument 4 months before the game came out and people bitched saying "Inventory Management and Choosing What Items To Pick Up" Wasn't a valid choice people should make since you could run back and forth 30 times and eventually take everything..

Now my stash has 1000 Fine Maces in it and quick saving takes 30 seconds on a SSD.

Perkel

Arcane
Probably this is a problem of OCD not limited space itself.

Some people instead of choosing what they should take they will simply spend 2 hours collecting everything even if it is worth 1 and they have like 20000 in their pocket.

Can't reason with such stupid people.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Every char already has 16 inventory slots. 16*6=96

This is the same as in Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale by the way:
331013-baldur-s-gate-windows-screenshot-inventory-screen-team-members.png

I don't have to imagine some theoretical scenario of WHAT WOULD HAPPEN, because I know what would. I never had to ask myself, WILL I POSSIBLY take these healing potions or wands or that pair of extra weapons with me or will I pick up that magical breastplate to sell, because there's enough room to do that when you go out. I'd just constantly switch items between chars to not make them Overencumbered and if I was at the bottom of a dungeon and didn't want to go back to town the stacking, sorting and exchanging of items started so I could go on for a bit longer. You know what choices these usually were? Can I put these arrows into the quiver slot (even though this char doesn't use a bow) and save some space? If I identify those potions maybe I can stack them on those others and save some space. Let's put these items and/or useless vendor trash rings and amulets that will give a bunch of gold into the quick item and ring slots to save some space. Let's put this weapon I don't really need into the secondary weapon slot to save some space etc. Crafting items, letters and similar would end up in chests in some keep or local headquarter anyway till they were required. This and the inevitable trips back to town usually cost several dozen minutes and map transitions and added just that, tedium. At least a lot of action games at that point had discovered the use of the "town portal".

Getting the Bags of Holding in those games was a fucking godsend.

Anyway, you just have to untick "Don't Restrict Stash" in the game options and you can go on LARPing, since you can only access it from base camp locations then. Or as I said just don't use it at all and use the chests in your stronghold instead. For me, it's one of the best fucking design decisions in the game as it spares me of the situations described above.
That just about says it all. If the number of stuff you can carry not only doesn't have any restriction but is also the best design decision the game has, then the game is fucked.
Also fuck this game and anyone who developed it, contributed to it or fanboyed about it. just realized after achieving lvl 7 or something on path of the damned that my tank was getting kinda too much damage from giant druids. sure enough the weapon and shield bonus stopped applying to reflex. this is not just some minor bug. it's the fucking core of the game. you don't release this kind of shit on people and call it a finished fucking game. plenty of unreleased games out there that seem to be able to remember the numbers they run on... and no, i don't care if patches will fix it. patches should not have to fix core fucking mechanix.
also, who's this dexter idiot and why doesn't he have a dumbfuck label yet?

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Probably this is a problem of OCD not limited space itself.

Some people instead of choosing what they should take they will simply spend 2 hours collecting everything even if it is worth 1 and they have like 20000 in their pocket.

Can't reason with such stupid people.

Same rationality applied to Combat XP.. People didn't want xp for combat because then they -HAD- to "grind" mobs. Never mind that you reach max level long before the game ends and that you can't really grind encounters because nothing respawns except maybe the battles you encounter while fast travelling..

Just because you -could- do something, doesn't mean it makes sense or you should do it.

But all this stuff is unimportant. What is really important is if there are any Trans Characters in the game.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Carsomyr it sure isn't:

Po_Escr_Sky_Drag_Loot.jpg

Cool name and detailed item history don't help when the item itself is absolute shit tier long before this point of the game (forged by master smiths my ass).

Can't bring up BG1 for comparison either, you didn't kill Dragons in it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just wait until you reforge the legendary broken blade of the endless paths... and note that it's probably weaker than the weapon you enchanted yourself.

Since they are allowing us to craft legendary weapons, they should at least allow us to rename them.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Just wait until you reforge the legendary broken blade of the endless paths... and note that it's probably weaker than the weapon you enchanted yourself.

Since they are allowing us to craft legendary weapons, they should at least allow us to rename them.

Never found all the blade parts. what are its stats?

hiver

eh, and i was just getting happier that im finding more named items in my game.

ZjW8AMy.jpg

qeICoDX.jpg

P7EVuqr.jpg

plus, bonus pimping disguise clothes!

pRVBhvh.jpg

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
eh, and i was just getting happier that im finding more named items in my game.

ZjW8AMy.jpg

qeICoDX.jpg

P7EVuqr.jpg

plus, bonus pimping disguise clothes!

pRVBhvh.jpg

Heldrik's Coat is pretty fucking good btw, used it on eder until the end pretty much.

hiver

and those stories about the items histories are all actually good too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It becomes even more retarded when you recall that the first companion you recruit comes with a magical armor that revives him mid-combat if his endurance reaches zero.

Dexter

Arcane
It becomes even more retarded when you recall that the first companion you recruit comes with a magical armor that revives him mid-combat if his endurance reaches zero.
I stole his armor and upgraded it for my Barbarian. Gave him a Heavy Armor instead.

Apexeon

Arcane
It's really a shame because the itemization is one of my favorite things about the IE games, and something that a lot of the AAA console dragon age rabble could never appreciate.

I remember a sword in IWD that made you immune to Cloudkill. I mean, who would think of such a thing? I don't think its offensive power was anything to write home about, but it was such an interesting idea. I loved how so many of the IE items said fuck it to balance and just tried to do cool shit instead.

:bro: **** it lets be cool to hell with balance.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
We should get hand-drawn illustrations for PoE2, this time they just lacked time.

No they just didn't bother to put a Artist on to the task.

They had heaps of time to draw.

They had only one artist to do all of the UI work, bestiary sketches, CYOA's and etc. This was confirmed on their forums. Why do you think it took them so long to get that solid UI done?

Apexeon

Arcane
We should get hand-drawn illustrations for PoE2, this time they just lacked time.

No they just didn't bother to put a Artist on to the task.

They had heaps of time to draw.

They had only one artist to do all of the UI work, bestiary sketches, CYOA's and etc. This was confirmed on their forums. Why do you think it took them so long to get that solid UI done?

My violin is on standby for the sad song for this overworked artist.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
AD 2000: Kill a dragon, take his scale and forge yourself a bitchin' unique armoire.

AD 2015: Kill a dragon, take his scale and add +2 damage reduction to your shit.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Apexeon

Arcane
AD 2000: Kill a dragon, take his scale and forge yourself a bitchin' unique armoire.

AD 2015: Kill a dragon, take his scale and add +2 damage reduction to your shit.

+2 DR is more balanced and more FUN. That op bitchin armoire had to go its too OLD and out dated.

Project: Eternity

+2 DR is more balanced and more FUN. That op bitchin armoire had to go its too OLD and out dated.
And crashes between areas are even more balanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom