Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trying to manage different weapons is a problem in previous MW, but I have 5 button mouse ready, only a question of time, the game will be released later outside of Epic?

Black

Arcane
Well there's basically no consistency at all when it comes to autocannons in the material, you can have 203mm full automatics and ones that are like modern 120mm tank guns both classified as the same fucking thing (AC20), since like you said it's basically just an abstraction that's never been given any real definition (and is only made MORE confusing by UAC and RAC, and RAC is THE headscratcher). Hence why I said full auto is the aesthetically pleasing way to handle the autocannons.
There's even no consistency when it comes to mech sizes, unless specified. How tall and wide BT tanks and mechs are is for the artist to decide but obviously most go with the heavier = taller thing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Indeed. You can also look at the different visualizations given for a 'mech cockpit, and some of them clearly wouldn't fit in the quote-unquote canonical sizes. Atlas is probably the worst offender in regards to cockpits, given the decision to put it in its eye which means "yea this fucking thing isn't 13.5 meters tall."

(Also my favorite thing is how varied the depictions of Neurohelmets get, mostly because back in the 90's FMV days they were actively embarrassed of them; for damn good reason IMO)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
seems fun but the design and graphical effects of missiles and also their sound design is shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gauss Rifle sound effects will always be bad. (Though at least it's not the high-speed fart sound like in MW3 and MW4)

(Okay, the kind of distant echo thing in MechCommander was at least half-decent)

Black

Arcane
Gauss Rifle sound effects will always be bad.
Disagree, I liked the gauss sound effect from FO2. MWLL also has a fast FWUMP when fired combined with the sound of armour tearing upon hit.
Starsector gauss cannons are nice too.

Luka-boy

Arcane
The best thing about that trailer was the Urbies in fashionable 4th of July camouflage.
capturadepantalla_20183jxo.png

external-content.duckn5j0o.jpg

pm_675

Arbiter
Isn't this game set in 3015?

If so, why can you equip a fucking Gauss Rifle in your mech?

Cael

Arcane
Isn't this game set in 3015?

If so, why can you equip a fucking Gauss Rifle in your mech?
They put in Swarm missiles, NARC beacons, TAG, Gauss Rifles, and a ton of other Invasion-era items into the HBS game. Why not this one?

Cael

Arcane
The best thing about that trailer was the Urbies in fashionable 4th of July camouflage.
capturadepantalla_20183jxo.png

external-content.duckn5j0o.jpg
Still remember the first time I ran into an Urbie. It was in The Crescent Hawk's Inception. There I was in a souped up Commando, feeling like nothing can stop me. Ran into what looked like a Locust in the Arena... Yeah... Time to reload, bud...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Mechwarrior 2 simulation engine was written by a guy who did flight simulators for the military. MW2: Mercs, Interstate 76, Battlezone also used that engine, which helped them feel "real". "Heavy Gear" series may have used it as well.

But ever since then, every Mechwarrior game comes with shitty physics and feels like a cartoon. People laugh at me when I point out that quality code is an art, and that engine programmers were often writing better gameplay code in the 90s than they do now. Fallout 1/2 and Mechwarrior 2 are good examples of that.

Look at MW5 gameplay videos. Rigid, light, toy-like movement. There's nothing real about any of it. So much focus put on graphics, and yet for physics they plugged some generic UE library. Way to miss the point of a fucking Mechwarrior game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Mechwarrior 2 simulation engine was written by a guy who did flight simulators for the military. MW2: Mercs, Interstate 76, Battlezone also used that engine, which helped them feel "real". "Heavy Gear" series may have used it as well.

But ever since then, every Mechwarrior game comes with shitty physics and feels like a cartoon. People laugh at me when I point out that quality code is an art, and that engine programmers were often writing better gameplay code in the 90s than they do now. Fallout 1/2 and Mechwarrior 2 are good examples of that.

Look at MW5 gameplay videos. Rigid, light, toy-like movement. There's nothing real about any of it. So much focus put on graphics, and yet for physics they plugged some generic UE library. Way to miss the point of a fucking Mechwarrior game.
If you think that mechwarrior 2 had the best physics engine, you should be locked in a mental institution because you're clearly deranged.
And have you played the Mechwarrior 5 beta to make such statements?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If you think that mechwarrior 2 had the best physics engine, you should be locked in a mental institution because you're clearly deranged.

MW2 and Mercs2 were the only Mechwarrior games where the Mechs felt like giant stomping robots. Best or not, they got the physics right.

I've seen the videos, dude. Do you not see the difference between this:
https://youtu.be/L0mSdnxM7fc?t=1901

and this?
https://youtu.be/EQ6dpXB4LgA?t=327

Hint: MW2 upper body rotation is capped. It feels mechanical, like actual pneumatics and gears are rotating or someshit. You had to negotiate with the mechanics just to aim properly. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. Some things are hard to describe. Don't you see how in MW5 everyone is so light on their feet? Do you seriously not see the difference? One feels like a mech game, the other is a goddamn FPS with slowed walking speed and tiny buildings.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

MW2 and Mercs2 were the only Mechwarrior games where the Mechs felt like giant stomping robots. Best or not, they got the physics right.

I've seen the videos, dude. Do you not see the difference between this:
https://youtu.be/L0mSdnxM7fc?t=1901

and this?
https://youtu.be/EQ6dpXB4LgA?t=327

Hint: MW2 upper body rotation is capped. It feels mechanical, like actual pneumatics and gears are rotating or someshit. You had to negotiate with the mechanics just to aim properly. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. Some things are hard to describe. Don't you see how in MW5 everyone is so light on their feet? Do you seriously not see the difference? One feels like a mech game, the other is a goddamn FPS with slowed walking speed and tiny buildings.
you are right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom