Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Codex Year of the Donut
Nobody mentioned the lack of the term "RPG" in the game's description. I wonder if that remains the case when it's formally announced.
battle brothers isn't an rpg either so
more rpg than 90% games in this subforum
it's as much of an rpg as xcom
which is again more rpg than 90% games in this subforum
you're confusing tacticool games with rpg
tacticool games are more rpg than 90% games in this subforum.
nope
there's a tendency for people on this forum to equate "games I like" with rpg

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nobody mentioned the lack of the term "RPG" in the game's description. I wonder if that remains the case when it's formally announced.
nope
Look back last few pages and see how many rpgs you can find. This subforum is a disgrace.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
nope
You like games?

Codex Year of the Donut
nope
You like games?
probably far more than most of the people on this site

Reinhardt

Arcane
nope
You like games?
what about rpg games?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Exploration is one of the three pillars of RPG mechanics. Although squad-based tactics game have substantial overlap with RPG mechanics, without exploration they can't be RPGs.

On the other hand, "tactics is the new RPG":

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

Z6Xqdt4.gif

35b28e.png

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, and Urtuk

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exploration is one of the three pillars of RPG mechanics. Although squad-based tactics game have substantial overlap with RPG mechanics, without exploration they can't be RPGs.

On the other hand, "tactics is the new RPG":

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

Z6Xqdt4.gif

35b28e.png

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, and Urtuk
Hang on, would you consider combat to be one of these pillars? Or should it be a chief aspect of the pillar that ought to be rightly called- problem solving?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
As someone who prefers exploration above all else, I'm dismayed by CRPGs becoming a struggle between tactics games and CYOA&Cs. :negative:

Some of the tactics games are pretty damned good, though. :positive:

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
That is interesting:
Overhype Studios, Hamburg – €1,073,555
They got the money from the German government.

Edit:
Awesome, instead of telling me there was already a thread someone just sent my post here.
My criticism is that maybe people following the news could have benefited from within the news thread knowing this thread existed, or does the responsible person really think I'm the only one who didn't know?

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
nope
You like games?
What a missed opportunity to say "more than 90% of peope on this subforum". I'm disappointed in you, son.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:yeah:

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/MENACE-turn-based-rpg-announced

August 21, 2023 – Hooded Horse is excited to announce MENACE, the first of two new games to be announced during gamescom 2023. From Overhype Studios, the developers behind popular medieval turn-based tactical RPG Battle Brothers, MENACE is a grounded sci-fi strategy experience that tasks players to restore order in the far reaches of space.

Lead a strike force against numerous threats in this brutal tactical RPG. Players must pick their allegiances and travel from planet to planet, fielding infantry, tanks, and mechs to answer distress calls and engage in intense turn-based battles. Cut off from the core worlds, help isn’t coming but neither is oversight or repercussions.

MENACE takes everything beloved about Battle Brothers – the evolving characters, the challenge, the army management, the dynamic sandbox gameplay – and yes, even the existential horror of facing off against an unbeatable enemy – and improves it tenfold. 3D environments allow for larger skirmishes across living battlefields, and the game’s mysterious enemy builds on Battle Brother’s sandbox and offers a powerful foe that has profound consequences on the strategic layer. Together these innovations will shake up the current norms of turn-based tactics games.

Key features of MENACE include:
  • Procedurally generated multi-mission operations.
  • Large, dynamic battle maps with innovative new mechanics for suppression and cover.
  • A wide variety of vehicles for total combined-arms warfare.
  • A large (and randomized) selection of characters to talk to, train, and forge together into an elite force aboard the TCRN Impetus, the player’s mobile base of operations.
  • Countless equipment options, detailed supply management, and the ability to commandeer vehicles.
  • Disparate factions to negotiate and ally with, or destroy, at the player’s option.
Every run of MENACE plays differently from the last, and players will face seemingly insurmountable challenges that take multiple forms across playthroughs, testing strategic and tactical prowess in new ways each time.

MENACE_marines.png

The Hooded Horse team will be at our booth in Hall 10.1 / stand E-020 throughout gamescom, so please do drop by to find out more about MENACE and the other games in the portfolio. We’ll have demos, goodie bags, and more new stuff to show!

MENACE will be localized from English into German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

MENACE will be coming to early access for PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store in 2024. A press kit is available.

Press inquiries: press@hoodedhorse.com

almondblight

Arcane
As someone who prefers exploration above all else, I'm dismayed by CRPGs becoming a struggle between tactics games and CYOA&Cs. :negative:

Most RPGs have terrible exploration though. It's pretty good in the Exile series, OK-ish in some of the Ultima's. Most of the time it's just bad though.

Anyway, I really hate generic 3D graphics. I feel like you could show someone screenshots from a dozen games with this style, and they wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

Shaki

Arbiter
:d1p:
If it's even half as good as Battle Brothers, then it's already enough to become one of the greatest games. I'm extremely hyped for this shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
:yeah:

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/MENACE-turn-based-rpg-announced

August 21, 2023 – Hooded Horse is excited to announce MENACE, the first of two new games to be announced during gamescom 2023. From Overhype Studios, the developers behind popular medieval turn-based tactical RPG Battle Brothers, MENACE is a grounded sci-fi strategy experience that tasks players to restore order in the far reaches of space.

Lead a strike force against numerous threats in this brutal tactical RPG. Players must pick their allegiances and travel from planet to planet, fielding infantry, tanks, and mechs to answer distress calls and engage in intense turn-based battles. Cut off from the core worlds, help isn’t coming but neither is oversight or repercussions.

MENACE takes everything beloved about Battle Brothers – the evolving characters, the challenge, the army management, the dynamic sandbox gameplay – and yes, even the existential horror of facing off against an unbeatable enemy – and improves it tenfold. 3D environments allow for larger skirmishes across living battlefields, and the game’s mysterious enemy builds on Battle Brother’s sandbox and offers a powerful foe that has profound consequences on the strategic layer. Together these innovations will shake up the current norms of turn-based tactics games.

Key features of MENACE include:
  • Procedurally generated multi-mission operations.
  • Large, dynamic battle maps with innovative new mechanics for suppression and cover.
  • A wide variety of vehicles for total combined-arms warfare.
  • A large (and randomized) selection of characters to talk to, train, and forge together into an elite force aboard the TCRN Impetus, the player’s mobile base of operations.
  • Countless equipment options, detailed supply management, and the ability to commandeer vehicles.
  • Disparate factions to negotiate and ally with, or destroy, at the player’s option.
Every run of MENACE plays differently from the last, and players will face seemingly insurmountable challenges that take multiple forms across playthroughs, testing strategic and tactical prowess in new ways each time.

MENACE_marines.png

The Hooded Horse team will be at our booth in Hall 10.1 / stand E-020 throughout gamescom, so please do drop by to find out more about MENACE and the other games in the portfolio. We’ll have demos, goodie bags, and more new stuff to show!

MENACE will be localized from English into German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

MENACE will be coming to early access for PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store in 2024. A press kit is available.

Press inquiries: press@hoodedhorse.com

First it looked like their take on X-com but after reading a bit more it is BB in space with legs. Still seems interesting, but I would have preferred their take on X-com.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom