Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Kojima has now a Jootoob

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 10th place
Shaun the Sheep Movie in 6th place.

The movie geek has spoken. Shaun the Sheep is better than Star Wars. Suck it Star Fags.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The Masters of Vaporware
Yesh that PT proves your point exactly, Konami must have done that themselves on a pachinko and was just beign nice leting them get all the credit
Proof of concept now qualifies as a full-fledged release? K

the FOX engine is more than just a proof of concept.
Developed on time and on budget.

Maybe their team up is an At the Mountains of Madness game interactive digital experience.

Caim

Arcane
Why the hell i cannot buy a boxed copy on PC of this anywhere?
Because Konami hates it when people pay them money for their games. This is why Metal Gear is getting its own pachinko machine instead of a next game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cost-cutting measure. Europe's the only reliable market for it to make it worthwhile, but Japan's pretty cargo-cult about these things, so the European MGSV PC box merely has a slip with a Steam key in it.

Bethesda was marginally better with Fallout 4. They only included one disc with 5 gb of content with the expectation that you download the other 15 because they were too cheap to print other discs and for some reason publishers are reluctant to make the switch over to blu-ray (for PCs at least, consoles have already switched) even though the massive sizes of current generation games kinda demand it.

Caim

Arcane
Bethesda was marginally better with Fallout 4. They only included one disc with 5 gb of content with the expectation that you download the other 15 because they were too cheap to print other discs and for some reason publishers are reluctant to make the switch over to blu-ray (for PCs at least, consoles have already switched) even though the massive sizes of current generation games kinda demand it.
How common are blu-ray players on PCs right now? If I were to go and buy a PC capable of running Fallout 4 decently, would I get a blu-ray or a DVD player?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How common are blu-ray players on PCs right now? If I were to go and buy a PC capable of running Fallout 4 decently, would I get a blu-ray or a DVD player?

I dunno, but my current rig is from 2012 and I made the switch to a blu-ray drive back then, and the drives themselves first started coming out in 2006. It's been 10 years, if you still want to use physical media, you should be expected to keep up with it after a grace period.

By comparison, the first CD ROM drive was released in 1985. By 1995, the biggest computer games were shipping on discs, because releasing them on floppies would have been absurd with their sizes.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
Because it was pulled off the shelves after huge uproar when people found out that the 'physical copy' is a cd with a 5mb steam installer and a cdkey. That's literally all there was.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Cbl9QuqUAAAuPOv.jpg

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Did they add any interesting or important new features through patches? I only played the game during the release week but I might want to play the game again soon.

Caim

Arcane
There's a few more weapons at top tier (60+) research levels, but they cost unreasonable amounts of resources to research and use.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They also added the option to get Quiet to rejoin your group after her final mission if you replay her boss fight a Skyway number of times.

boot

Prophet
This thread is not worth reviving, but I've found that playing without HUD/Reflex Mode and turning brightness as far down you can tolerate turns this into a decent stealth game. The sight-ranges become pretty believable - guards can see actually see you when you begin to see them- and you will actually find a use for the flashlight attachments. LMGs are actually worth carrying around for when you get into a firefight since firing accurately from shoulder view is difficult- saturating an area with bullets feels like an effective tactic rather than overkill.

Snake is still nearly unkillable, but these changes limit your capabilities so much that it doesn't feel so cheap. Straight up fighting takes more tact.

While infiltrating the Jungle Mansion I moved from one of the interior rooms to the balcony and was spotted by one of the guards. I couldn't even see him as he was in a patch of very dark shadow, but I was able to intuit his position by the direction of his shout/scream and kill him by shooting blind. A lot of little moments like this.

dunno lah

Arcane
Anybody know a way to kill the chopper in Backup, back down without getting an alert?

Note: I'm playing the game with minimal equipment/subsistence style for my own preferences.

boot

Prophet
Anybody know a way to kill the chopper in Backup, back down without getting an alert?

Note: I'm playing the game with minimal equipment/subsistence style for my own preferences.

If you get on an AA gun and shoot on target you might be able to take it down before triggering an alert.

Also, you can have D-Walker or Quiet attack an outpost near the chopper and try and get it to focus on them.

dunno lah

Arcane
Good points but im also playing for perfect stealth n other self imposed challenges, like not touching anyone who isnt involved with the mission objectives. Sorta quasi ghost run. Therefore, aa guns are out coz theyre lpcated within the bases. So i can only rely on the procured javelin.

All that said, i beat the chopper yesterday by distraction which was unintentional. Was lying in the desert and right as the chopper flew past me, i fired one ar round at it. He turned round and began shooting blindly while i rolled away from the area. As im rolling away, the chopper started firing elsewhere which turned out to be my summoned chopper. Such impeccable timing. Javelin out. Fire, forget, not even a ! from the chopper. Feel like im worthy of big boss title, man

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so after two months of not touching the game and coming back to it i now notice that going prone within 8meters (instead of previously 5, i believe) alerts the ai.

because sneaking with keyboard and mouse needed to be worse, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom