Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Length of the cutscenes in MGS4 wasn't an issue, at least for me. It was the cutscene frequency. You could have doubled the length of MGS3 cutscenes and it wouldn't have bothered me since there's enough uninterrupted gameplay in between.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, I'd say the sheer volume of cutscenes was a bigger issue than their overall length. First hour or so of MGS4 is just torture on replays because it's basically just a thirty minute cutscene broken up by maybe one or two minutes of gameplay, it's just ridiculous.

As for the final part of the game, well, that one screenshot of a Twitch chat of a stream of the game where a site mod comes in and threatens to ban the streamer for showing a movie and not a game comes to mind.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The whole point of the audio logs was to listen to them while doing side ops, I do remember reading that originally Kojima didn't want MGS V to be a metal gear game but then Konami kinda forced that. (citation needed)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The whole point of the audio logs was to listen to them while doing side ops
I could never do that. Maybe because I am not a native english speaker, but if i don't concentrate on the audio itself, I don't understand and forget most of it. Either I"m listening the audio, or I'm fixated on gameplay. I can't mix the two. :)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What was annoying that you'd start listening to tapes, and then Miller or Ocelot would start talking on the radio and you wouldn't understand SHIT. And then you had to rewind the tape, and that happened every 1-2 minutes. Fuck.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
kat3btmrqftmeqmozu5a.png

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
KOJIMA CALLS OUT METAL GEAR SURVIVE'S ZOMBIES

During a stage presentation at Tokyo Game Show 2016 for Hideo Kojima's new game, Death Stranding, the Metal Gear series creator made several comments regarding Metal Gear Survive, the zombie action game set in the Metal Gear universe made by Konami.

Kojima took the opportunity to distance himself from Konami’s forthcoming game Metal Gear Survive, a spin-off from Kojima’s acclaimed Metal Gear series. When asked whether the idea for Survive had come from Kojima himself, he replied, “That’s nothing to do with me!

“The Metal Gear games are about political fiction and espionage,” he continued. “Where do zombies fit in with that?”

Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa on stage at TGS 2016.

Kojima was joined on stage by Yoji Shinkawa, the former character and mechanical designer on the Metal Gear series who is now working on Death Stranding at Kojima Productions. Shinkawa also denied any involvement in Konami’s game, joking, “If I had worked on that game, it would have mechs in it.”

Metal Gear Survive was announced at Gamescom 2016. Kojima's new game,Death Stranding, was revealed during the Sony Press Conference at E3 2016.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/18/kojima-calls-out-metal-gear-survives-zomibes

Min 2:00

:nocountryforshitposters:

Kojimbo pls.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hehe. Man, his game had a immortal vampire. He shouldn't really talk about outlandish stuff having any place in Metal Gear. Even if the new game itself look shitty.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is this worth playing now? Didn't pick it up for some odd reason, but I always enjoyed MGS series

Which of the past games is it most comparable to? Is the stealth gameplay great?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this worth playing now? Didn't pick it up for some odd reason, but I always enjoyed MGS series

Which of the past games is it most comparable to? Is the stealth gameplay great?
Well it is like Peace Walker, just in an open world setting. But you still have to gather an army and research your own tech, while building a base. The stealth gameplay is maybe the best in the series, but it is the MGS style stealth, not somethine like Thief. But if you have played the previous ones, then you know what I'm talking about. Overall, the MGS style gameplay is polished to perfection in this game. Great stuff.

If you are a fan of the series, you owe it to yourself to play this conclusion, because the core of the story is interesting. That said, this game is the worst MGS in my eyes, because the last act is unfinished, and there are a lot of rehashed missions. I also rarely like open world games, but that is just personal preference.

Declinator

Arbiter

Well it is like Peace Walker, just in an open world setting. But you still have to gather an army and research your own tech, while building a base. The stealth gameplay is maybe the best in the series, but it is the MGS style stealth, not somethine like Thief. But if you have played the previous ones, then you know what I'm talking about. Overall, the MGS style gameplay is polished to perfection in this game. Great stuff.

If you are a fan of the series, you owe it to yourself to play this conclusion, because the core of the story is interesting. That said, this game is the worst MGS in my eyes, because the last act is unfinished, and there are a lot of rehashed missions. I also rarely like open world games, but that is just personal preference.

Camo index doesn't really play a part in V though so if you liked the uniqueness of MGS3's camo microing, know that this one won't bring that to the table. Pretty stock standard stuff but entertaining too. For a stealth fan I'd recommend MGS3 over V because it is far more unique but this one deserves a playthrough too.

The game is very similar to Peace Walker as mentioned. Less clumsy but still quite repetitive and you'll do lots of mundane crap you don't want to have to do. Word of advice: don't always rely on Fulton, you'll have more fun that way.

Also, I'm still bitter about the fact that no matter how far I am, I cannot shoot my silenced .50 sniper rifle at a helicopter without the helicopter pinpointing my location with ridiculous precision (yes, yes you can escape without being actually seen). I grinded for ages for it and the game betrayed me. :argh:

Caim

Arcane
The downside still is that a non-lethal run is always preferable to a lethal run because of how the recruiting mechanics work. So you can put all your money into the fancy guns you can buy and customize, but at the end of the day you're going to need little more than your silenced sniper rifle and your silenced tranq pistol. Maybe a silenced SMG as your main gun.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
MGS games were always titled "tactical espionage action". They were never meant to be pure stealth or espionage games but playable 80s action movies with a spy theme and more mindfuckery.

nomask7

Arcane
I remember enjoying Metal Gear Solid (on Playstation) many, many years ago. I've played pretty much none of these games in between, I picked up Phantom Pain due to the open world elements. Some impressions after a couple of missions and reading a bit about it:

1) The game is wacky compared with MGS, at least if you don't restart missions but persist in pushing through them and don't restart from checkpoints unless you die. It's so emergent that it makes me laugh, but I suspect I'll grow tired of this quickly. Mission no. 3 for example, was I supposed to spend a day observing enemy behaviour? Well, I opted not to. I was crawling my way nicely further into enemy territory until one of the fuckers suddenly started climbing into an empty guard tower and spotted me due to his new-found height. I survived, but base went to high alert. Long-story short, I ended up massacring everyone in the base, mostly from a sort of bunker-like roof. I fucking ran out of sniper rifle bullets and took like 80 hits during the mission. It was completely wacky. I was sniping waves and waves of soldiers who kept shooting at me - and hitting - whenever I popped another mole.

2) Snake seems to have a (hidden) health regen system. Very popamole.

3) Issue with counting points. In mission no. 2, I reached the hostage without touching anyone, no not just without killing - without even touching the hair on an enemy's ass. Fucking hardcore experience, why don't they give you points for that? They let you use tranq pistol and all sorts of things and you'll get the same points, boring.

4) Do the sand and the shitty shacks ever end? I'm already tired of the setting. I wanted and expected different kinds of setting, including a lot of stuff like in the original MGS. Am disappoint.

Caim

Arcane
4) Do the sand and the shitty shacks ever end? I'm already tired of the setting. I wanted and expected different kinds of setting, including a lot of stuff like in the original MGS. Am disappoint.
Sure. About a third of the game in you're going to be trading the brown sand of Afghanistan for the red sand of the Angola-Zaire border region.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
1) The game is wacky compared with MGS, at least if you don't restart missions but persist in pushing through them and don't restart from checkpoints unless you die. It's so emergent that it makes me laugh, but I suspect I'll grow tired of this quickly. Mission no. 3 for example, was I supposed to spend a day observing enemy behaviour? Well, I opted not to. I was crawling my way nicely further into enemy territory until one of the fuckers suddenly started climbing into an empty guard tower and spotted me due to his new-found height. I survived, but base went to high alert. Long-story short, I ended up massacring everyone in the base, mostly from a sort of bunker-like roof. I fucking ran out of sniper rifle bullets and took like 80 hits during the mission. It was completely wacky. I was sniping waves and waves of soldiers who kept shooting at me - and hitting - whenever I popped another mole.

Yeah, this game allows you to pop moles like no other. You can also call helicopters and airstrikes to your aid which is really amusing. The game does react to you though; if you score tons of headshots, enemies start wearing helmets, if you always attack during night, they start wearing night vision goggles etc. Eventually, alerts will cause enemy helicopters to arrive too, and those are ridiculously deadly.

2) Snake seems to have a (hidden) health regen system. Very popamole.

Yes, this is true.

3) Issue with counting points. In mission no. 2, I reached the hostage without touching anyone, no not just without killing - without even touching the hair on an enemy's ass. Fucking hardcore experience, why don't they give you points for that? They let you use tranq pistol and all sorts of things and you'll get the same points, boring.

If you don't touch any enemies at all or get caught, you should get No Trace bonus which is so massive that it basically guarantees S rating. Other than that, completion time makes the biggest difference.

Second part of the game takes place in Africa but it will surely get old too, if you play like a completionist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom