Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Replaying all the missions to try and get no traces, I've found that

DDog is amazingly overpowered and basically breaks ghosting. Just tell him to wait somewhere and bark, he'll attract half of the base to his location

But if you want to see easy 450k+ point totals use it.

What does this game play like? Is it kind of an open world Rogue Spear, where you just travel around to do missions or what?

ultimanecat

Arcane
What does this game play like? Is it kind of an open world Rogue Spear, where you just travel around to do missions or what?

Two large open maps (one desert, one savannah that shows up about 1/3 through the game) with main missions generally taking place in “base” type areas on those maps. You can either select a main mission that is limited to its specific area, or you can drop into the map and do less involved side missions and roam freely.

Core gameplay is one of the more developed third-person shooters with a good amount of depth, reactive AI, and multiple tactical options that all feel satisfying but there is still a non-negligible amount of Japanese videogame wackiness like psychic dudes and teleporting zombie enemies plus some resource management in the form of developing base and weapon upgrades and kidnapping enemy soldiers to staff your facilities.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Core gameplay is one of the more developed third-person shooters with a good amount of depth

This is a deeply incompetent and incomplete description.

To begin with, you can finish almost the entire game (possibly 100% of the game; it's been a while since I've played) without firing a shot, and still have plenty of options in so doing. This includes the intro sequence and both confrontations with Quiet (the sniper sidekick, for the uninitiated). You can also finish most of the game without being shot at, or even seen. Kojima calls it tactical espionage action for a reason, and it absolutely deserves to be called that, because firearms and weapons are in many way secondary or even tertiary to the core game.

It's not "one of the more developed" third-person perspective games, either. It's by far THE most developed. Snake has an incredible array of contextually and environmentally sensitive actions at his disposal, many of which can be combined in unique and unexpected ways. Just in terms of movement and positioning alone, he can stand, kneel, go prone, flatten out, and (in the prior three stances) move slowly, move quickly, roll left or right, kick over on his back and aim down toward his feet, or dodge in any direction; leg-sweep or tackle an enemy while crouched or prone; use cover from nearly any stance, and yank an enemy over or around an obstacle, or into concealment....

That barely even scratches the surface. Anyway, it's pretty great, best commando simulator of all time, and everyone should play it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably the smoothest controls I've played with. Made Ghost recon wildlands look like Russian shovelware in comparison.

eXalted

Arcane
Game is so gud I don't even care that the last levels are duplicates of the earlier ones.

Venser

Erudite
ok its 15 nicker on steam atm and the barbarian and blaines recommendation just pushed it over the edge

look out wallet, im coming to open you up

EDIT:

and so it came to pass.....

got the definitive experience with all the fruit

Play Ground Zeroes prologue first.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
ok its 15 nicker on steam atm and the barbarian and blaines recommendation just pushed it over the edge

look out wallet, im coming to open you up

EDIT:

and so it came to pass.....

got the definitive experience with all the fruit

Play Ground Zeroes prologue first.

Yeah, and skip Phantom Pain entirely.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing Witcher 3 on Switch I am pretty sure it could run Metal Gear V... too bad that will probably never happen #fuckonami

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I've been playing this recently. Reached the mission where you have to extract Dr Emmerich. I pick him up, when suddenly a wild Metal Gear appears, and the game instructs to give it a slip. So I steal a truck, drive it through its legs and start running away. Suddenly, "you're out of the mission area", heroism decreased, Emmerich teleports back to his cell and I have to do the mission all over again.

Fucking hell.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Yeah, in retrospect it’s easy to guess I should’ve used another escape route. Just the game has so far been pretty open ended when it comes to achieving your objectives, and I expected that here.

Also that’s some 30-ish minutes of gameplay down the drain (maybe more) and I’m pretty butthurt about that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that's the only section where the sequence is absolutely retarded. Don't recall getting fucked in the other missions for doing logical shit.

I'm pretty sure that for all missions in which you can just run away to escape that the "you have now gotten far enough away to fail the mission" line is much, much further away than the "you have successfully escaped the mission" line. If you start hearing warnings about leaving the mission area then its not a valid escape route. Though at the same time if you are in a vehicle at full speed it might be too late to change course.

There are plenty of missions in which you can just avoid stuff the game wants you to do. For example in the first mission with Miller rather than going to the designated helicopter point to be ambushed by skulls you can just call it down somewhere else and ride away no prob. Surprised that this mission doesn't allow for that, I guess because it wants to have extra drama and story shit with one of the few times you fight the mecha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom