Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great info ultimanecat , thanks. Also apparently you can join your troops live while the attack is going on, Dark Souls style? Have you ever done that?

There are two benefits to the event FOBs: you’ll never risk retaliation (although succeeding will raise your ranking which theoretically could make you more of a target) and you earn event points. The first thing may or may not be important, but with the event points you can straight up buy large numbers of high rank personnel, among other FOB-related things.
Event points are kind of shit return IMO. Easily get more free guys on quick 1-platform FOBs.

The points that are good are the ladder points, those add up in IRL time based on your general development level and you can probably buy a lot of shit if you come back to the game after a while.

There are two benefits to the event FOBs: you’ll never risk retaliation

How do retaliations work anyway? I just infiltrated some Russian guy's unguarded base, mindlessly ran up to the highest level....and then press "E" for some reason, jumped over the rails, fell down three floors and killed myself dead. Yeah.

So if the Russian dude is still active can he discover it was me who died like a retard in his base and raid my base in return? And if he does then what? When I win a FOB raid I get about 600k credits and thousands of materials. Does the other guy actually loses that some amount? So technically people could keep raiding me and bleed me dry?

If he logs into in the next x number of days he can invade you back. I believe you lose the personal stolen/killed + materials, not sure on GMP. Keep in mind of the stuff you get is just from a mission completion bonus and not stolen.

Some FOB questions I have:
- What determines how many materials you get from containers in FOBs? I constantly see people with 500k or more materials on a platform yet when I go there the giant containers give 50 precious metals each. Fucking worthless.
- Is there no way to restock on fultons mid-FOB raid?

Also if you want to really cheese them, you can play as Quiet apparently.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

with Infinite Heaven mod gameplay is god tier and best stealth action game ever.
explain IH to me. I saw it and tried to dl it, but couldn't be bothered to figure out how it was supposed to work.

Perkel

Arcane
with Infinite Heaven mod gameplay is god tier and best stealth action game ever.
explain IH to me. I saw it and tried to dl it, but couldn't be bothered to figure out how it was supposed to work.

IH is basically gameplay menu where you can fine tune gameplay.
What you look for is enemy sight % and hp %
Increase Enemy sight to 200% and HP to 20%.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Increase Enemy sight to 200% and HP to 20%.
why lower hp when a headshot kills almost anything human?
It's YOUR hp. So that you get one-shotted in most situations I guess.

EDIT: The HP reduction isn't for me tbh. Usually getting into a hot firefight means restart from checkpoint for me. I just don't enjoy playing the game as a TPS. And the purely fighting missions like Metal Archea or Sahelantropus must be p. annoying with you being one-shotted all the time.

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
Great info ultimanecat , thanks. Also apparently you can join your troops live while the attack is going on, Dark Souls style? Have you ever done that?

I originally played this on PS3 at release, and that was the last time I had the opportunity to do it and I still think I only did it once. I don’t remember if I won or not. It doesn’t take much for an invader to trip it (I think even being seen but not identified will do it) then you get a message saying something screwy is going on at your FOB and you can warp in. Not sure how common it is now since I get the feeling most dedicated invaders try to focus either on neglected FOBs or are set up for PvP and seek it out with other high ranked players.

Edit: Also I think you can warp in to FOBs to players you support if they’re offline.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
At 20% you won't get one shot by anything other than direct headshot or high explosives.
20% is about few hits to body.

Tried 40% but it was still very spongy. Only at 20% or below you can't anymore just run and gun with whole battalion of soldiers. It still allows you for getting shot but you won't be able to to fight 2-3 guys shooting directly at you.

Only if you are few shots away from death you start to utilize all option you have like heli support, various gadgets etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At 20% you won't get one shot by anything other than direct headshot or high explosives.
20% is about few hits to body.

Tried 40% but it was still very spongy. Only at 20% or below you can't anymore just run and gun with whole battalion of soldiers. It still allows you for getting shot but you won't be able to to fight 2-3 guys shooting directly at you.
I don't fight too much but I don't think you can take on a whole battalion. From what I saw it usually took like two shotgun shots and a few AK bullets to put me down, even with the hardened suit. That's GG in a couple of seconds. Not a big problem for me.

It's true tho you can easily survive a high-caliber sniper shot and even a grenade blast which IS dumb.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cloaked in Silence on Extreme must be the biggest cancer in the game. At least the non-firearm task.

It seems she has a much higher chance to jump away from the cargo drop and even if it hits her it does only 20% dmg or so. Plus she always one-shots you so you can spend 30 minutes trying to hit her with that damn thing, you finally get her to a sliver of her blue bar and then you make a microscopic mistake and you can start from scratch. Fucking Kojima man.

Cloaked in Silence on Extreme must be the biggest cancer in the game. At least the non-firearm task.

It seems she has a much higher chance to jump away from the cargo drop and even if it hits her it does only 20% dmg or so. Plus she always one-shots you so you can spend 30 minutes trying to hit her with that damn thing, you finally get her to a sliver of her blue bar and then you make a microscopic mistake and you can start from scratch. Fucking Kojima man.

Have you checked whether non-firearm precludes throwing a dozen grenades at her? Its probably not implemented but at least according to the fiction she should also go down basically immediately if you got her with something like a molotov or sleep grenade. EDIT: technically, even a tank should qualify as "non-firearm"

Also you could develop and use the parasite armor thing. Never used it myself but I assume its good enough to save you from at least one shot.

Last edited:
btw, fun fact for anyone going for a low time or trying to hit specific timings in enemy movement (e.g. set up a mine before a patrolling vehicle can arrive): Rather than starting a mission from the ACC, deploy in free roam and then start it on the ground. The timer is ticking while you fly in otherwise. Also way more convenient if you have to restart.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have you checked whether non-firearm precludes throwing a dozen grenades at her?
It does. It counts for non lethal but not non firearm. However, if you close the fight with a punch it counts for non firearm. Easier said than done however.
cvv if you have researched sleeping mines it's an option if you can place it at her usual spots.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have you checked whether non-firearm precludes throwing a dozen grenades at her?
It does. It counts for non lethal but not non firearm. However, if you close the fight with a punch it counts for non firearm. Easier said than done however.
cvv if you have researched sleeping mines it's an option if you can place it at her usual spots.

The problem is she only very rarely goes into some of the ruin posts in the middle of the arena. She usually stays at the fringes, on inaccessible rocks. First I thought it's because I was running inside the arena and she won't come close to me but then I stayed at the spawn point, picking her at a distance, and she was still sticking to the outskirts. There go mines. Didn't have much luck with grenades either. As soon as I come to a throwing distance I have maybe 2 seconds to aim and throw, otherwise she magically smells me and quickly fucks off.

I can see the devs wanted to simulate a tense sniper battle, problem is when the other dude has perfect sight, perfect aim and always knows where you are it's incredibly frustrating. Even trying to pop in and out your head lighting fast, waiting for her shot and then try to shoot her back has like 20% chance you get shot. It' a hitscan mechanics with an erratic delay. Ofc I can cheese easily with bombardment but you don't get the non firearm task or S rank.

EDIT: Wasted 3 hours trying to do it properly. Final resorted to the stupid cargo drop cheese. With good timing most drops hit. For the non-firearm challenge you're obviously supposed to wait till she settles in one of the destructible structures and shoot the loose brick but her AI is apparently programmed to avoid those places like plague. Womp.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you have stealth camo? It works.
You mean sneaking suit? Yeah, lvl 3. She doesn't care about your silly sneaking suit tho.
No men, stealth camo. Basically invisibility like the predator. It caps your ranking to A, but for the last part it's very useful. And the battle dress is more useful than stealth suit in extreme missions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So it's done, 100%-ed, all achievements.

First off, to get this out of the way, the "story" is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while. Kojima's narrative building is like a 10-year old trying to cook.

"So first imma put some serious stuff in the pot just like the grown-ups, lots of water, salt, some onions and beef. But that's booooring, I'd some cool stuff too, so a handful of jelly beans, a can of coke, some chips, I love those, a bucket of popcorn and the rest of the cake mum made for my birthday, that one was really good. It's a big piece tho so I just have to sort of mash it in and then imma put it in the microwave for 30 mins, on full blast. Aaaand presto! What a dish, yum."

Initially it looks p. engaging, like something an adult wouldn't be embarrassed to get invested in, but then you'll get a full load of kraaaazy cartoon stuff in the face like flying kids and fire golems. Then, once you hop on the gameplay loop, you'll get your typical 1970s tech like optical scanning or DNA tests and of course silly looking giant robots. Oh and a skull-faced villain. With a fedora hat. And an eye-mask. Yes, a villain with an eye-mask.

And the entire MSG mythos is exactly what you'd expect from decades old IP - bits and pieces haphazardly slapped together, creating an incoherent mess. Kojima's own Lost. The "Everything Wrong With" Youtube guy must've had a field day with this.

Put all this emotionally stunted childishness, embarrassing retardery and Jappy weirdness aside though and the core gameplay loop is one the of the most fun things I've ever played in my life. It'd take only a few relatively minor fixes of the AI and it'd be basically perfect. If the AI kept to a more logical behaviour, if they could hear and see what real people would be expected to hear and see...oh em gee.

When it comes to Death Stranding I'm almost certain the plot and writing will be just as catastrophically embarrassing as MSG5 but it won't matter if the gameplay is half as good.

Metal Gear has always been sort of silly, in a Japanese take on the same sort of the way that Fallout was intentionally silly. I don't see that as a problem.

The big problem is that almost none of the missions matter for the "story", the "story" is almost entirely told in Mother Base cutscenes, and many of the plot points (like you not really being the real snake) only really serve to explain the dizzying array of "twists" in the overarching story between the disparate games of the franchise. It's not entirely incoherent but it might as well be if you haven't played them all + listened to hundreds of hours of audio logs in them all + read through wikis and timelines. There's several characters that are talked about constantly and central whats going on yet never appear or get their backstory described in any way. e.g. I don't think its ever explained who Zero or Cipher is or that they are the same person.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Metal Gear has always been sort of silly, in a Japanese take on the same sort of the way that Fallout was intentionally silly.

I don't know about previous MGS games but I don't think MGS5 is "intentionally" silly. It comes across as something Kojima thought was genuinely cool. To borrow my own cooking example - like a kid that genuinely thought putting coke and jelly beans in a beef stew would be cool and tasty. Dunno, I'd have to see or play something Kojima did that is actually grounded and serious, to see if MGS5 is really just a tongue-in-cheek stunt or if it's Kojima's actual idea of creative and interesting storytelling.

I think the only thing that originates in MGS5 is the parasite stuff (EDIT: and skull face). You'd also have to ask whether it was 1987 (MG1) or 1998 (MGS1) Kojima who thought that nuke-toting mechs and psionic kid experiments and cloning supersoldiers were cool and 2015 Kojima was just bound to tie up loose ends and include them for continuity reasons, because MGS5 is a direct prequel leading up to MG1. IIRC he's said something to the effect that he was tired of working on the series and wanted to get away from them.

It's funny, "fans" lament that the 3rd chapter was cut and was supposed to be about Eli (and him stealing Sahelanthropus w/ the psionic kid), but literally everything involving him disgusts me to the same extent that watching anything with Anakin in The Phantom Menace disgusts me. Having more retarded wanking over the antagonist of MGS1 would just make MGS5 worse. Liquid Snake isn't even interesting or cool, he's roughly as much of an annoying cunt in MGS1 as he is in MGS5. If you want to see a sad version of "cool", go watch Kojima's MGS1 cutscenes. Ocelot is still pretty cool though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom