Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

KK1001

Arbiter
I'm going to get this out of my system and list what I think are the games glaring weaknesses. Some of them are objective and some of them stem from my desire for certain things in games.

1. Open world
This is sort of a running trend in video games recently. Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Batman, FF15, the upcoming Zelda, GTA, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, The Witcher 3, the list goes on and on. What's the appeal of an open world? For players, an open world offers freedom. The freedom to do, so the slogan goes, whatever you like, whenever you want. A player will have to consciously work pretty hard to run into invisible walls, and it seems at first glance that it is easier to become engrossed in a world that "feels" alive. For developers, the appeal of an open world is fairly straight forward: they can now advertise their game as an open world game. Everyone has seen the sorts of numbers that AC and GTA ship, and they want a piece of that action. Open world games seem big and full of lots of content. But unfortunately this isn't the case, almost without exception. Open world games are filled with wilderness (that the developers deemed boring enough to allow you to fast travel), monotonous fetch quests, whether it is collecting Riddler trophies, climbing tall buildings to unlock maps, or delving into cave #37 in Skyrim.

The open world in Metal Gear Solid 5 functions largely the same as it does in these other games. You have two big maps, populated with various outposts where the missions take place. Some trucks drive on the roads, and there are some animals, but otherwise the world feels pretty lifeless. The outposts and bases themselves are fairly well-designed. They offer at least 2 or 3 obvious routes of infiltration. Sneaking up on or through these bases feels pretty good, but you start unnecessarily far away.. As I've mentioned before, the open world breaks the AI and trivializes the game. I'll get into this in more detail soon, but it is clear that the AI was not meant to function in an open world. It is utterly incapable of pursuing you, engaging or spotting you from a distance, forming threatening search parties, or sending in reinforcements. The most the enemy will send is a single chopper (which Pequod downs in literally 2 seconds), or a few guys from the nearest outpost who will literally fucking walk all the way there. It is best to think of each outpost as surrounded by an impenetrable shroud 70m away through which you can safely escape each and every time. In real life, the Soviets responded with overwhelming force to Muhjahadeen attacks. Here, they let you take over base camps without much resistance at all. I found myself asking: how does the open world help the gameplay? I haven't really found an answer. I could imagine a game with better AI, more enemies, that it would be fun shaking off your pursuers by escaping into the mountains, hiding from them as they look for you, planning your routes in order to evade enemies as they try to close the noose around your location. But this isn't that game.

The mission structure doesn't even take advantage of the open world, either. You're in a cordoned off section of the map. Going outside of it results in a game over. In effect, the rest of the map may as well not even exist. Which leads me to ask: why not just fucking have various outposts of Camp Omega sized that are independent? If you aren't going to bother integrating the open world in any meaningful way (communication between maps, inevitable reinforcements from somewhere else, gameplay that revolves around evading patrolling or searching enemies that possess overwhelming force) why even fucking bother?

2. The AI
It's pretty bad.
- The combat AI is atrocious when it should be punishing, as this is still a sort of stealth game. It does not even execute basic pin and flank techniques, where one or two soldiers will fire at your location while others rotate around or behind you. Enemies will stand out in the open waiting for you to pick them off one by one, like in my shitty popamole games. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that you have 1) regenerating health and 2) the ability to soak damage. You can engage enemies, take hits, run away and hide behind some rocks where you're practically invincible, rise and repeat. The deadly combination of large spaces in which to operate, shitty AI, weak damage, no reinforcements, and regenerating health completely destroys the combat and makes enemies nonthreatening and boring to fight against.
- The stealth AI is standard shit. It can't be unfair or it would be too frustrating for the average retard. But it goes further. Sometimes enemies will be literally 10m away from you shining a flashlight at you and they won't be able to see you. In general, it is passable. The problem more has to do with level design and the relative lack of enemies rather than any sort of inherent flaws with how the AI operates without alert levels. However, I will say that is is far too easy to fulton enemy soldiers. Tranquilizing guards should be a temporary solution. They are out for a little while, but they are still alive and will start alerting their friends that something is up. With the fulton, you can tranq someone and remove them from the game, removing any need to hide their body or act while they're asleep.

3. Clash of Clans and Far Cry nonsense
Upgrading Mother Base is not fun. I have no problem with unlocking things, provided they give you different tactical options or provide a needed answer to the way your enemy is reacting to your tactics. This mini-game literally consists of a player navigating a set of menus and hitting enter. Zzzzzzzzz. Boring. This wouldn't be such a problem if it were a side thing, but it is literally integral to the game. Unlocking further story missions requires having certain upgrades. How do you get these upgrades? Well, you wait around. A lot. You wait for upgrades to finish; you wait for your men to finish missions. To even get later upgrades you have to out in the field and collect containers, packages, and fucking plants. You spend more time fultoning people and things or holding R than you do fucking sneaking. Let that sink in for a second.

If you have fun doing this, you have shit taste and you are actively ruining games for everyone else. Go play Clash of Clans you stupid fuck. Stand in the line for the next AC like the rest of the plebs.

4. The Missions
There are a ton of main missions that should have been sideops, and a lot of sideops that exist only to pad the game and give you resources to upgrade your clan. Of the 50 episodes, 75% feel like filler or are literal repeats of earlier (and mostly boring filler) missions with amped up difficulty or special conditions.

5. The Boss Fights
They're bad.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
Can someone more knowledgeable about similar systems estimate how long is this going to take to crack?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think I completed the eighth mission now. The game passed the sweet spot where it was getting interesting and went back to tedium imho. It's already just totally reusing the same levels for new missions, and they aren't even different. One mission was to kill a guy at a certain compound. The one I just completed was to kill a guy in the same compound and then two friends of his at other compounds I had already raided. Never you mind that I already killed off or abducted everyone at these spots before.

The AI is definitely flawed in terms of its detection ability now as well as its fighting ability. I discovered that for some reason I've got a cardboard box that I can crawl around in and it will make enemies oblivious to me. I fired like five sniper rifle rounds at a guy in a guard tower, and he kept stumbling because of stupid computer game armor until he finally fell over. But nobody else noticed the gunfire echoing through the hills, oh, 700 feet away.

I still wish I could enjoy this, but it is turning out more and more like the poor man's Crysis that I had predicted. I hope it manages to rebound. I will probably just play it like a shooter from now on, because I'm tired of crawling through the same base three times over to pick up different objectives.

34scell

Augur
Although bugs me so I have to ask you what in MGS and MGS2 corridor level design gives them a pass over MGS3, it really is the same design.

In MGS3 the level design is mostly just a path to the next objective, which would be fine if it were set on a train, but not in a jungle. The level designs in previous Metal Gear games are buildings containing objectives. So in the older games the gameplay roughly correlates with the character's actions; navigating the enemy base, whilst in MGS3 you're traversing a corridor with a jungle theme to represent Snake navigating the actual jungle.

Deleted member 7219

Bros, do enemies actually re spawn during a mission? I know they tend to come back as you travel to and from mother base and in between missions - that makes sense. But do they come back during one?

I was just doing the mission in the barracks and I was taking out soldiers silently at the main entrance but more just kept coming. I was wondering whether it was just because there were a lot of guards patrolling or whether it was because they were respawning. I fultoned a couple of guys, ran a certain distance away to fulton someone else, and when I came back two new guards were stood in their place

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It is possible to clear a base completely. One way to disable the enemies from calling in more backup is to destroy their comms equipment. When they do call in backup, I'm not sure if they cause new ones to just spawn or if they alert nearby patrols / camps to send in reinforcements. I think (hope) this might be the case since sometimes when they request backup the radio person tells them that they can't send in more troops and they just have to deal with it on their own, but who knows.

KK1001

Arbiter
You can clear a base completely by just killing everyone. You don't even need to destroy the comms. The most I've seen the enemy send is 4 soldiers and a helicopter. After that, no one comes after you.

Inf0mercial

Augur
So when i started i turned off all markers as for some reason map markers are joined with the tagging of enemies, at first it was a little bit frustrating to have to check idroid to find waypoints but it improved the game play a ton, i turned it back on for a base to check and and it made the game 500% worse, one of the things i got used to was checking windows and having to check corners when i was going to take out a guard, with markers on it kills all challenge. Lay on a hill stare at enemies never be surprised when moving in ever again, who thought being able to see them through walls was a good idea in a stealth game?

You can clear bases even if you don't destroy coms they will only get one reinforcement wave from nearby checkpoints if they have the manpower, so far my tactic if i'm a bit bored is to fire off a few sniper rounds on a hill circle around to the mortar emplacement then when a that squad forms up to investigate my last position moves out mortar them. At day and night they do swap shifts so if you don't kill soldiers sleeping in barracks they will move out when shift changes.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm on the mission 30 and I have not needed to unlock anything special at the moment to do main missions, excepting one grenade launcher for the tanks missions that was built in 0 seconds. You can develop a part of the base that gets resources constantly, so you don't need to stay looting the camps over and over again, and to obtain good soldiers I fulton the special ones in armor and the main missions bring me some of them. Also, they are voluntaries joining the mother base constantly. 0 secondaries missions done, excepting the forces ones. The only questionable think I found to this system is to wait until a "big thing" is under development, like the mother base sectors or some items. But taking aside this, I found the system a very good one to provide progression and more possibilities to the game.

Now, a question: Is only one female recruitable in the game?

Martius

Liturgist
In my case one of rescued prisoners was female although I don't remember any women as regular enemy soldier.

Deleted member 7219

I just extracted a female prisoner. First time I've seen a woman in this game since the nurse at the beginning.

I've completed five or six missions now and about as many side-ops. I like the game although at this point I do wonder how people have managed to develop their mother bases so much. Yes, resources are everywhere, but they give 50 or 100 a time and expanding platforms on the mother base require thousands of resources.

lightbane

Arcane
Does this game have Codec dialogues or something similar? These were one of the hightlights for MGS games (barring MGS4 and 2, which were intentionally annoying and boring most of the time).

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
you're traversing a corridor with a jungle theme to represent Snake navigating the actual jungle.

You mean like a video game ? I don't need 16x16 miles maps of jungle to understand I'm in a jungle. I'll take a tight level design over a big empty fuck anytime of the day and TPP confirmed me in that direction.
It's although rather funny you go in that direction, because if we'd take a poll and ask if TPP's afghanistan or africa felt more immersive than MGS3 russian wilderness, I bet you'd be surprised of the result.

In MGS3 the level design is mostly just a path to the next objective

And whether you decide to blind yourself or not, it's the same in MGS1 and 2. Shadow Moses was literally a line of building, they all had more or less floors and shit happening in them, but in the end of the day the base layout was something like =[][]=[][]=8==[]
MGS2 is exactly the same, though the corridor is crooked. I'm not of this sort of people that need to be lured to believe they're not railroaded when they clearly are so maybe that's why I didn't see what you meant by corridor level design.

Does this game have Codec dialogues or something similar?

No. Big Boss barely talks. Most of the chit chat happens in the record tapes, sometimes there's a little cutscene at mother base when you complete some stuff.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
the benefit of the open world comes from the tactical advantage, that was clearly the main point of focus for the devs, plus there's usually a helicopter zone within 1000 or a few hundred meters away from your objective anyways

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
the benefit of the open world comes from the tactical advantage, that was clearly the main point of focus for the devs, plus there's usually a helicopter zone within 1000 or a few hundred meters away from your objective anyways

Yet you could do that without a massive open world nothingness, just by designing big levels. Ground Zeroes also has a notion of large tactical approach of a situation, it doesn't requires miles of nothing surrounding the level (and supposed to reach to other levels, though it never matters) to do it.

CptMace doesn't like open-world games.

Tea at seven.

I wouldn't have a problem with open world if that wasn't so overpraised everywhere. The next game of our famous franchise is going OPEN WORLD GUYS WOOHOO SO FUCKIN COOL. It's more of a commercial manoeuver than anything else, and they spent their fucking budget on making sure that the player could reach that mountain he sees over there. At the end of the day it's less actual levels and more outposts which you don't even stop by anymore passed the 10th one.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can unlock the framerate now, and you can play with Quiet skin:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metal...-framerate-unlock-play-as-quiet-mod-released/

original.jpg

toroid

Arcane
At the end of the day it's less actual levels and more outposts which you don't even stop by anymore passed the 10th one.

Hideo Kojima's Far Cry.

btw, I haven't been able to enjoy a Metal Gear game since the first Metal Gear Solid. I thought MGS 2 went full retard, but this is so over the top ridiculous I can't even stand to watch gameplay video. Cutscenes make me want to start drinking. What age group did they focus on, I wonder..

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I just found out today that they cut the final boss fight and ending from the game.

:negative:

You can find a 20~ minute long video on youtube where you can watch some of the cut cutscenes, scenarios and concept art of the places were supposed to be in the game that someone was able to digout from the data, but do so at your risk as it may spoil something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom