Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Hobo Elf

Arcane
MGS3 is the only one I didn't enjoy. I can appreciate the depth they tried to add into the game, but they forgot to stop and ask themselves if they could've made everything work somehow with less wanking around the menus. Going back to 30FPS from 60FPS (MGS2) felt a bit jarring as well.

Ivan

Arcane
Though 5 is a sequel to the ideas/format presented in Peace Walker, it takes the freedom and creativity of 3 and sets it an open environment. This is fun with a capital "F"

GOTY Easily

5>3>1>2>PW

HELPS: where is "99 Red Balloons"?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah. I remember seeing all the information about it and GZ and I thought this would be a complete disaster. Then it turned out amazing.

Performed a daring infiltration by using a roadside C4 to blow up a jeep and then sneak in while the guard was distracted.

I see a 44 revolver in the tech tree...I want it. I also expect Ocelot to mock me as its probably a break away revolver.

KK1001

Arbiter
I'm the odd man out here but I think the open world is fucking lifeless, the missions are repetitive, and the game is overall just too easy. I need a modicum of challenge if experimentation is going to be satisfying at all.

The game has a lot of great things about it, but god damn it is fucking piss easy.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm the odd man out here but I think the open world is fucking lifeless, the missions are repetitive, and the game is overall just too easy. I need a modicum of challenge if experimentation is going to be satisfying at all.

The game has a lot of great things about it, but god damn it is fucking piss easy.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

There is no much life in the maps of the game in form of animals. There is a couple of them. After all, the maps of the game are places like Afganistan and Angola, very militarized and conflictives zones in this game. Secondary missions are repetitive, except the required ones. Main missions are repetitive in objectives, but in ejecution are very varied. An the difficulty, well, depend of the missions. In my game are appearing soldiers with helmets and armors, forcing me to change my playstile and kill them catching the from behind.

KK1001

Arbiter
I think modding can fix a lot of the issues I have. Better AI, more enemy soldiers, really strong reinforcements. Add those things in and I'll be happy.

Ivan

Arcane
KK1001 I had the same feelings regarding the difficulty but that changes a few hours in when the npcs adapt to your tactics. You will start seeing armored enemies, more enemies with shotties, more enemies with grenade launchers. Never would I have imagined that in a fucking Metal Gear Solid game, I would thoroughly enjoy a gunfight. I recently had a firefight in one of the more vertical outposts in Africa and it was so intense. This isn't just popamole, though it can be played as one. Here you can escape through windows, through smokes, dive off a cliff onto a roof below, ok I'm getting carried away. Point is, the gave gets more interesting as you play, not easier.

Malpercio

Arcane
Try getting into Africa, Afghanistan started to bore me too, outpusts fell too much the samey.

"YOU DESTROYED THEIR ANTI-AIR RADAR?! IT WASN'T ONE OF THE TARGETS, BUT THAT'S PUT A HOLE IN THEIR AIR SURVEILLANCE"

ENOUGH

Malpercio

Arcane
Never played a MGS game before. Should I go back and play 1-4, or a selection thereof before I play 5?

That's an interesting question. V has so little story that you could technically enjoy it without playing the sequels, it's really a game that prioritizes gameplay over story. It's completely different from what MGS usually does. Heck, Big Boss is pretty much mute in the game, he barely talks and he feels like a jRPG silent main character!

On other hand, it is the 8th or so installment of the franchise, and the game itself is a direct to the PSP game. It does have several returning characters (In Metal Gear LOL EVERYONE IS RELATED SOMEHOW) who rely on their MGS1-3 etc characterization.

So to be honest... duh. I dunno how to answer this. It depends how much time you got, how much the series interest you. It's an interesting series, sometimes stupid as fuck, but nevertheless interesting.

KK1001

Arbiter
KK1001 I had the same feelings regarding the difficulty but that changes a few hours in when the npcs adapt to your tactics. You will start seeing armored enemies, more enemies with shotties, more enemies with grenade launchers. Never would I have imagined that in a fucking Metal Gear Solid game, I would thoroughly enjoy a gunfight. I recently had a firefight in one of the more vertical outposts in Africa and it was so intense. This isn't just popamole, though it can be played as one. Here you can escape through windows, through smokes, dive off a cliff onto a roof below, ok I'm getting carried away. Point is, the gave gets more interesting as you play, not easier.

I'm more than a few hours in. The problem is that the game just isn't very difficult. I never send my guys to disrupt shipments of helmets or whatever and it is still just really easy.

Having to replay the same missions in order to progress the story is also stupid as fuck. Doesn't help that they chose the filler missions, too.

KK1001

Arbiter
Overall the whole game screams development issues. Whether it was Kojima fucking around or Konami interfering or some combination of the two we'll never know, but I don't think I've soured so fast on a game before. There's a lot of padding and grinding that really hurt what is otherwise a pretty solid gameplay experience underneath. It's still a good game but there are some glaring issues people are overlooking because it's Metal Gear.

Ivan

Arcane
had to do it
E4B77F3FCCF47E21AB750EAA676363EE60A8EDA0

also, what makes revisiting the same stages so interesting is the whole pokemon element from PW. it changes how I infiltrate, how I prioritize targets. it's wonderful.

Trotsky

Arcane
Yeah. I remember seeing all the information about it and GZ and I thought this would be a complete disaster. Then it turned out amazing.

I can tell when a game is gonna be good/bad. When MGS3 had its very first jungle trailer I was blown away. The previews for MGS4 looked terrible despite the pretty graphics. When MGS5 was revealed I knew the game had major potential. The moby dick trailer, the music choice, the darker ambiance. the choice of villain, and the setting were very convincing. The only issue that really bothered me was David Hayter no longer voicing Big Boss but I realize it was the right call. Hayter's voice acting had gone massively downhill from its heyday. Bad writing and phoning it in diminished Hayter's value to the brand and it was time for a change. Does anyone know if he still appears in the game?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I can tell when a game is gonna be good/bad. When MGS3 had its very first jungle trailer I was blown away. The previews for MGS4 looked terrible despite the pretty graphics. When MGS5 was revealed I knew the game had major potential. The moby dick trailer, the music choice, the darker ambiance. the choice of villain, and the setting were very convincing. The only issue that really bothered me was David Hayter no longer voicing Big Boss but I realize it was the right call. Hayter's voice acting had gone massively downhill from its heyday. Bad writing and phoning it in diminished Hayter's value to the brand and it was time for a change. Does anyone know if he still appears in the game?
Haven't finished the game yet, but I have hopes that he'll voice Solid Snake in the final boss fight, which is the same final boss as in Metal Gear 1 but from Big Boss' perspective.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah. I remember seeing all the information about it and GZ and I thought this would be a complete disaster.

I was cold towards MGSV based on the very first Ground Zeroes play I saw, because fucking wall hax and slo mo now?!!!!" And I remained skeptical until seeing the Phantom Pain footage with wolf cub/sheep Fulton action, Snake-to-Quiet-grenade-shooting ally-oop action, the-shooter-action-looks-better-than-most-shooters action. And it looked better an better with each following video.

PirateScum

Augur
had to do it
E4B77F3FCCF47E21AB750EAA676363EE60A8EDA0

also, what makes revisiting the same stages so interesting is the whole pokemon element from PW. it changes how I infiltrate, how I prioritize targets. it's wonderful.

Big Boss: Legendary Soldier Mercenary Brofister :bro:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't think that the padding and the grinding hurts the game in any way. Mainly because the game is constructed around doing missions and improving the mother base. In fact, this games looks like the response of Kojima and his team against the critics of MGS and its excessive cinematics and short gameplay parts. And what a response.

Caim

Arcane
Is it possible to upgrade silencers to actually last a while and not run out after 10 shots or so?

KK1001

Arbiter
I don't think that the padding and the grinding hurts the game in any way. Mainly because the game is constructed around doing missions and improving the mother base. In fact, this games looks like the response of Kojima and his team against the critics of MGS and its excessive cinematics and short gameplay parts. And what a response.

But a lot of the missions (probably 40 or 50%) are boring filler.

If the game is constructed around improving Mother Base, well, I guess it's a bad game then? The game should be focused on the various ways you can approach missions, not picking up plants and people to unlock +1 smoke grenades. Keep that shit in fucking Far Cry and Clash of Clans.

I'm not saying there isn't mission variety and lots of ways to do some missions; I'm saying that the open world serves absolutely no purpose, is detrimental to the core gameplay mechanics, breaks the AI, and introduces a whole set of problems that wouldn't exist otherwise. It was included for the sake of going "Well, I guess an open world would be cool?" when open worlds are shit until proven otherwise. Fuck, I had more fun in Ground Zeroes than most of the missions in TPP. It had a tight narrative focus, meaningfully punished you for not being stealthy, and was just big enough to give you freedom of movement but not so big that it required endlessly trekking.

What exactly does an open world do that makes designing the whole game around it worthwhile?

Caim

Arcane
I'm not saying there isn't mission variety and lots of ways to do some missions; I'm saying that the open world serves absolutely no purpose, is detrimental to the core gameplay mechanics, breaks the AI, and introduces a whole set of problems that wouldn't exist otherwise. It was included for the sake of going "Well, I guess an open world would be cool?" when open worlds are shit until proven otherwise. Fuck, I had more fun in Ground Zeroes than most of the missions in TPP. It had a tight narrative focus, meaningfully punished you for not being stealthy, and was just big enough to give you freedom of movement but not so big that it required endlessly trekking.

What exactly does an open world do that makes designing the whole game around it worthwhile?
Yeah, I hear you. I was doing a mission and was spotted by the guards. They came at me in full force, shelled my location, shot flares so they could see me... that is, if I had not pulled back, circled around and attacked the target from the other side.

If you were spotted in, say, Metal Gear Solid 3 you were fucked and had to run, hide and hope you wouldn't be found. Here you can just run away from the base, circle around and try again while everyone else was distracted without any punishment other than the loss of points for being spotted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom