Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Caim

Arcane
Did the mission where you kidnap the Spetznaz dude in the beginning of the game. I had to take out a sentry who nearly spotted me, and when I got to the main building a sandstorm hit the area. I had to take out another guard, went in through a window, grabbed the Spetznaz guy and the casette in the same room, started to play the song and hauled him out just as the storm was setting. I got out, put the Russian on my horse and rode off towards my helicopter while Kids In America was playing.

10/10 mix of Snake Eater and the first two acts of Guns of the Patriots.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Guys, guys. Are you seeing what is riding because Quiet, her clothing and the fanservice cinematics? I can't believe it. I mean, we come from games like the last GTA which have sex scenes, from the games like the Witcher 2 where we start fucking Triss and watching senseless Ves's neckline and The Witcher 3 where the characters fucks on a unicorn. And now, a bikini clothing character who rubs on water, takes a shower and have a camera shots in a very erotic way is object of controversy. I mean, wa da fuck man.

One interesting thing is when in MGSV you use de 3D spotting system, and the beginning of the "marking" you can watch the enemy behind obstacles in a X-ray way but, a couple of seconds later, the X-ray disappears and only a red triangle remain indicating where is the marked enemy but it doesn't tell you in which direction is the enemy looking. Still being a help but well, at least looks well designed and we can disable it.

Are you a fag or something.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Are you a fag or something.

untitled15ga2s.gif

Bigg Boss

Arcane
For those of you that played this game, and know anything about shealth/action gameplay, how does it hold up?
Does the enemy AI is actually intelligent or the mindless drones we get from all other games nowadays?
Are the missions fun and challenging, with unique and varied ways to solve them and interesting level design?
Is the the open world any fun to explore and does it have any aplications in the missions and gameplay?
Does it hold your hand in the slightest difficulty with any hints or popmole mechanics, or is it challenging enough to make you think for a moment (or several)?
And since this is a japonese game, is it well optimized?

In the end should I wait for the crack or is it worth 20 EUR?

It holds up well. Probably the best stealth game in the series. I was...unconvinced of a MGS in an open world, but it really is the perfect stealth game due to that. Attempting to rescue some of the more important NPC's really feels like an important mission. The stakes are real. One little fuck up and the entire base will freak out; Gunships spewing hot lead from above, artillery, flares shot in the air for increases visibility - the soldiers are the mot realistic they have ever been. Taking out communications equipment and AA guns is vital in some missions due to this. The enemy AI is extremely intelligent. Especially on higher levels.

The missions are varied, from rescuing POW's, to destroying tanks on a convoy, there are plenty of things to do. More so than in the past games. The open world is one of the best I have seen. It really feels like Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion. Imagine Red Dead Redemption without all of the Strangers peppered throughout. There aren't many unique encounters peppered throughout like in many open world games aside from finding a couple of buddies, so people shouldn't' expect a lot of mindless tasks while playing. I honestly expected a lot of useless collectibles but I haven't found any to speak of.

It does not hold your hand, but if you suck it up you can put on the Chicken Hat so the enemies won't see you. That is the only instance of hand holding and it is optional. I can't speak of optimization since I play on PS4. I have encountered no problems on the PS4 version.

I haven't even met her ingame despite playing 15 hours already. :( The dog is still a puppy too. Think I am a slowpoke when it comes to such games.

20 hours in I encountered her.

Ivan

Arcane
what i use to take to the skies

ILL BEEEE GONEEE

dis game dough
:love::love::love::love:
cant wait to replay on HARD (just got to Africa)

Last edited:

Trotsky

Arcane
Yes I agree with you in that. But at the same time, once I've spoted all of enemies then I have no more worries because I will always know were they are, and it takes away the thrill (at least for me). While on Thief, Dishonered, Splinter Cell, Hitman (I could go on) I have to memorize the enemies ''schedules'' and ''routes'' and be awary of sound, because since there is no 3D spotting the player must do that by himself. It may come down to taste, but me that one of the things I like about shealth games it's that unique preparation and stratagy the player has to make to achieve the objectives and also that emotion of suspense. With the 3D spotting I don't even need to be listening to the sound of the enemies or memorize their rotines to know where they are, nor do I need much thinking or skill to complete the goals and much less do I get the sense of acomplishment and suspense of sneaking.

But then agian thats my opinion, and the game fortunatly let's me disable that (hoah!). So I'll definitely buy it for 20EUR.

The games you listed also rely on the shadow meter which makes you invisible. MGSV is no better/worse only different and pretty unique for its freedom.

Malpercio

Arcane
Meh, missions do get a tad repetitive, at least side op do. "Sneak into this base you sneaked 5 minutes ago to kill/save this guy" over and over. Yeah, you could not do them, but then again, you may miss some soldiers with a special skill needed to develop very useful stuff.

I do agree that the I.A. has been surprisingly reactive and intelligent, I mean, there are the usual weird cases of NPC not noticing everyone around them is asleep, but overall it has been pretty gud, certainly some of the best in the genre.

I do wonder if you can pull "gamey" stuff like this into this one, though.

http://webm.land/media/tmp/ed162fb2-73e7-4b43-b378-4f53637cecfc.webm

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Anyone knows at what point I can take Quiet as a 'buddy' ( :) ) to my missions?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
BOSS
IVE UPDATED YOUR INTEL
BOSS
PRESS THE AIM BUTTON TO AIM
BOSS
SEARCH FOR CLUES
BOSS
YOUVE ENTERED A BUILDING
YOUVE ENTERED A FUCKING BUILDING

He actually said, "Boss, you've entered a building," the first time I entered a building. Jesus fucking Christ.

I played the first few bits of the game as violently as possible to get it over with. The reactivity, as others described in response to me earlier, is really nice. The AI is still pretty slow and stupid IMHO on an individual level, but it has that collective behavior going for it. I couldn't stand to have Robin Atkin Downes's shitty mouth breathing voice whispering in my ear every thirty seconds, but thankfully that thinned out over time.

The weird thing is that even despite the fact that the world reacts to your violence, it's extremely easy. I can't find any sort of difficulty option anywhere. When I first started the game, it just started without any sort of option. At least Ground Zeroes says hard mode is locked off. Is there any hard mode in this at all?

Regardless, I stuck with it beyond the two hour period of refund eligibility, and I enjoy the game more now that the announcers fuck off a bit. I've started getting into the stealth, and it feels nice. It feels wrong how close I can kill a guy with an unsuppressed rifle and not have any of his buddies notice, but all of the closer range stuff is alright or good.

Except for some unclimbable rocks in the middle of nowhere, the world feels very believable and well designed. The mission design is truly open compared to what Ground Zeroes had, and their levels contain a lot of varying architecture that makes exploring and planning an attack pretty fun.

I've skipped nearly all of the cutscenes, because I just wanted to play the damn game. I have to ask, what was the purpose of designing a player avatar at the start? I saw it in a mirror, skipped the rest of the cutscenes, and woke up again as Big Boss, and there's been no sign of my avatar fellow ever since.

I'm enjoying it a fair amount now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but still worried that it won't take advantage of the potential that it does show.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Sexbad just wait it out a bit. The world opens after a few ops and so will the AI :)

dunno lah

Arcane
It feels wrong how close I can kill a guy with an unsuppressed rifle and not have any of his buddies notice

That sounds a little off. Are you saying that after you've killed the guy, the enemies don't even report in to CP about the gunfire?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
That sounds a little off. Are you saying that after you've killed the guy, the enemies don't even report in to CP about the gunfire?
Yes. I think this was in the first village after the intro. Nobody was facing him, so they didn't see him get shot. I was on a ledge not too far from them, but I guess the sound of gunfire doesn't travel that far.

dunno lah

Arcane
Did the encounter happen at the outermost parts of enemy territory i.e. a small shack with 2 or 3 Soviets far away from any Soviet outpost/stronghold? If so, this could either be a glitch or gunfire sound really does not travel far, meaning :decline:.

:argh:This is what I was talking about with the game doing a poor job with the use of sound..

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It was an actual village, not just one of the one-building outposts. The other guards were a bit down the street. I think sound just doesn't propagate very meaningfully. Otherwise the stealth is pretty solid.

dunno lah

Arcane
It was an actual village, not just one of the one-building outposts. The other guards were a bit down the street. I think sound just doesn't propagate very meaningfully. Otherwise the stealth is pretty solid.
But this really shouldn't be the case...In GZ, if you fire an unsuppressed gun wherever you are, they will always hear it and send someone to your location. Could disabling enemy comms have anything to do with this?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Ahah, nope. And in GZ, I knocked out a few guys and commandeered a giant machine gun next to them and proceeded to destroy a bunch of oil tanks and an unmanned APC. One of the oil tank explosions managed to alert the guys, but the radio message said they didn't hear distinct gunfire. There wasn't anybody right in this courtyard, as I recall, but there were guards right down the hill in that area with all the tents. I think you overestimate the importance of sound in these games.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have to ask, what was the purpose of designing a player avatar at the start? I saw it in a mirror, skipped the rest of the cutscenes, and woke up again as Big Boss, and there's been no sign of my avatar fellow ever since.

Its for multiplayer purposes I guess. I was pretty at first angry because I thought that I'm gonna play like that and not the original Big Boss. At least that was not the case thanks to "haunting".

dunno lah

Arcane
Ahah, nope. And in GZ, I knocked out a few guys and commandeered a giant machine gun next to them and proceeded to destroy a bunch of oil tanks and an unmanned APC. One of the oil tank explosions managed to alert the guys, but the radio message said they didn't hear distinct gunfire. There wasn't anybody right in this courtyard, as I recall, but there were guards right down the hill in that area with all the tents. I think you overestimate the importance of sound in these games.

No way, bro. Every time I fired my rifle, even a single bullet out to sea, they'll report it. Not a Caution state, but a "?" state if you know what I mean. I think the AI states are just finicky when they are aware of more than one thing that you're doing. Sort of like exploiting the AI.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
There is nothing more glorious than confusing the enemy with Quiet and myself sniping from the opposite direction. They scatter around and dont know whats coming for them. Being sniped at irl must be a horrifying experience.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah I found even firing a silenced weapon would bring over everyone nearby to investigate.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like getting base commaders attention via shutting down bases power. Poor bastards come to me all alone in darkness, for stealth karate action.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Managed to get game for 3 potatos (guy sell passes to account with control so nobody can change password and you can download it and play offline.)

You can say that my metal Gear is...
Solid. :yeah:

Caim

Arcane
I really need to start finding more fuel items so that I can actually expand Mother Base. Thus far I've found only trickles of the stuff. I understand that at the point I'm at (I've done the Honey Bee mission) Mother base will generate some stuff on its own, but it just is not enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom