Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Gerrard

Arcane
uk5fsb9r6sb21.png

Weren't you paying attention?
DXhb4tE.jpg

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Amazon is slowly releasing their own storefront. Currently only free games that come with Prime subscription is in it, but that will change.
Amazon's might realize their store can't compete and will either buy Steam to get their infrastructure and customer base, swallow a big player, or both.
Amazon already has the infrastructure (AWS, not to be confused with Anonymous Wife Scholar) and already have Prime subscribers. They don't have the catalogue, either to sell or already sold. So the idea is interesting, but Amazon doesn't need Steam.

hello friend

Arcane
Strongly disagree: 10 years ago people were saying that every game would be a mobile game and while mobile games grew well for a time those pesky "core gamers" still exist and still buy proper games. 3 years later the same hype machine was saying that everything would be streamed but streaming doesn't work (for latency reasons) for the huge fraction of game genres. 3 years after that the idea was the individual games would be subscription services lasting forever - this was the plan for Anthem (and for Halo Infinite) but the cracks are already starting to show: these games aren't as successful as planned.

These are all just short-lived boardroom memes. Game Pass is a better idea than most of these previous ones and will be a big thing but the suggestion that it will utterly displace the existing way is a fantasy. They're just making the common mistake of assuming that the future will displace the past completely but that only happens for a very small number of innovations.

The Kindle exists but people still read normal books. That's just how it will be with Game Pass.

These big corporations will try every trick in the book except make good games

Artyoan

Arbiter
I would not take a hands off approach here if I were Microsoft. Lots of firing and restructuring to do. I would also reboot every single IP on Blizzard's side. This strikes me as a very poor acquisition.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I would not take a hands off approach here if I were Microsoft. Lots of firing and restructuring to do. I would also reboot every single IP on Blizzard's side. This strikes me as a very poor acquisition.
Yeah, at that price I hope they're ready to get hands on. Activision has been on the cliff for what feels like decades.

However, their IP catalogue is huge. It's almost like buying an EA.

Gerrard

Arcane
Some people here need some reminders about the times when Microsoft tried pushing people to get Vista with DX10 exclusive games, and pushing people to use their shitty Windows Store with exclusive games.
Those attempts worked out great. So great that Forza Horizon 5 launched on Steam at the same time.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't play Actiblizz games, but I earned a lot of money today.
I can't congratulate you out of principle. Holding Acti-Blizz during these lawsuits, with all the talent leeching away, with their esports failing, with China penalizing video games, everything going wrong.... its just retarded. But hey, a lot of retards also made money in this market, I guess.

How are Activision's finances looking these days?
Best they've ever been, probably. Thing is it looks they are peaking, there isn't anything lined up for the next few years, plus lawsuits, etc, as I wrote above. Microsoft is buying the top, and I think they just want to waste dollars before inflation. They are talking about a "metaverse" play, and they could use Battlenet as their front to customers, and just to steal some games away from Sony by forcing exclusivity.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I can't congratulate you out of principle. Holding Acti-Blizz during these lawsuits, with all the talent leeching away, with their esports failing, with China penalizing video games, everything going wrong.... its just retarded. But hey, a lot of retards also made money in this market, I guess.

I don't think that the lawsuits were a substantial problem, that shit would have passed. The loss of talent is a much bigger risk, but do CoD and CandyCrush really need outstanding talent or rather manager types? Blizzard provided just a nice optionality with D4 on the horizon.

Grimlorn

Arcane
So, /pol/ was right again.. :lol: Not sure if buying such toxic assets is a good investment for Microsoft, but they probably bought everything in bulk to get that sweet battle royale cash
You're assuming Microsoft didn't set them up with the recent negative PR. Probably dropped the price by several billion dollars and increased pressure on Activision to sell out to get rid of the negative brand recognition. I was kind of wondering why that news story broke about Activision. I figured they maybe didn't "donate" enough money to politicians recently, but it was so Microsoft could get this deal to go through.

No one will care about the negative PR and it will disappear now that Activision is under new leadership in Microsoft.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Microsoft: We need to take the Apple approach and make Windows a walled garden. We'll get a cut of all the software sales!
Gaben: Like hell you will! I'll make Linux a viable gaming platform!
Microsoft: Good luck.

*Years pass*

Gaben: Hey Microsoft. Checkout out this Linux-powered console!
Microsoft: Oh yeah? Well how will your little gaming storefront fare if it has no games to sell?
Gaben: ...shit.

Buying the husks of formerly innovative companies that haven't produced anything interesting in years sure isn't a good long-term strategy to own the market. Its easy to throw money around, look at how well EGS has worked to kill Steam, but to actually change something you need more than just money.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Microsoft is buying the top, and I think they just want to waste dollars before inflation. They are talking about a "metaverse" play, and they could use Battlenet as their front to customers, and just to steal some games away from Sony by forcing exclusivity.

Their offer is 10 bucks below the 52 week high. Considering that they won't have to pay before 2023, they get an okay deal.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Amazon is slowly releasing their own storefront. Currently only free games that come with Prime subscription is in it, but that will change.
Amazon's might realize their store can't compete and will either buy Steam to get their infrastructure and customer base, swallow a big player, or both.
Valve won't be sold as long as Gabe lives. You better pray he has a long life ahead.
And may he live forever.

However, Amazon probably has no problem waiting for Gabe bites the dust, which could never happen or as soon as tomorrow, to make moves to acquire Valve. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Mustawd

I think the biggest challenge for indies is that regardless of some of the quality of their games, they still suffer a bit from price depreciation due to so many market entrants.

So a quality game that could have sold for $20.00 before the Steam boom now has to start at $15.00 before discounts/sales to make the same volume.

At the end of the day the boom-bust model will continue just like all other growth industries. Consolidation is inevitable.

IP-gobbling publisher THQ Nordic announced today that they'd acquired Logic Artist's Expeditions franchise

So we have Obsidian, inXile, Hairbraned Schemes, and now the main IP of Logic Artist being acquired.

I think we can safely say the A.5-AA rpg dev consolidation is well under way.

I guess the questions now are:

1.) Who is left?
2.) Who is next?

Seems I was right, but it wasn’t just A or AA devs….

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom