Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
Wait, they downgraded the game on PC?
it was worth it - you would not believe the fps gain after the patch and it looks almost the same

2ba1XtB.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Wait, they downgraded the game on PC?
it was worth it - you would not believe the fps gain after the patch and it looks almost the same

2ba1XtB.jpg

Ny absolute favorite is this, when I flew via the North pole route.

What I expected was something beautiful like

Alaska-Seaplane-Adventures-Daniel-Kirkwood-DSC_0329.jpg

and what I got was

AvOocQy.jpeg

that was before SU5 of course, I'm sure it looks amazong now.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
People really shouldn't have expected to get a good FS from Nadella's Microsoft.

Burning Bridges

It is an ok sim actually, but not the permanent fellatio that a certain crowd expects.

Currently I am back in X-Plane, but I was really happy with the PA-28 and DC-6 for some months. And the horror stories about the updates are in reality not really that bad. The folks who permanently whine do it mostly because they have invested way too much money and emotional attachment to realize there are other sims that can fill the weaknesses MSFS has.

MSFS is good for VFR and realistic light. For IFR, texture resolution, ground handling? .. nah

Burning Bridges

That trailer says nothing but here is more info

https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-...unced-replay-mode-new-aircraft-dx12-and-more/

what seems remarkable is that this is a lot of free content (most are shit but the Pilatus Porter sounds interesting)

However not so remarkable there is actually going to be a paid update, the Reno Air races. Confuses the shit out of you with a edition with "40 new aircraft" that are apparently versions of 5 actual new aircraft models, for 60$. The standard edition without the variants will cost 20$.

https://fselite.net/news/reno-air-races-coming-to-microsoft-flight-simulator-november-18th/

Reno_Line_T6-1600x900.jpg

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, today I've learnt there was a Reno race class only for t-6 Texan.

Burning Bridges

Well I dunno but for me soon having a Texan in the sim is fantastic news by itself.

The Junkers 52 has shown that Asobos planes are not particular realistic but extremely good looking and with life like sound (in fact better than 3rd party planes). If the Texan is of the same standards that alone would be worth the 20$.

I assume the racing planes are more arcadey and compare more with the default planes. Which would still make them a fun addition to the hangar.

Of course I dont expect the L-39 to be modelled to very high standards, it's much too sophisticated. And for the TF-51 there is a free version in DCS that is 100 times more realistic. But with the Texan it might be just enough.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If there ends up being some sort of combat aircraft addon or spinoff to this game it could be amazing.

Burning Bridges

A combat version of MSFS is doubtful, but 2 days ago Just Flight has released the T1 Hawk. After my epxerience with their Arrow it was a day 1 purchase for me, JF is currently my top 1 aircraft developer.

It's a work of art, havent flown her enough to say if realism is on par with L-39 in DCS (it's safe to assume it is not because MSFS has too many quirks) but the immersion is already surpassing DCS. And btw it is normal for a combat pilot career to being on such a tandem aircraft.

Burning Bridges

Yes, but everything about MSFS is more of an immershun thing. It cannot compete with DCS or even X-Plane ins some regards, but I play it when I want to have the feeling to be flying above ground, that it does better than anything else.

But everyone is keeping their other sims, in fact one real life pilot in my fse group went from MSFS to P3D and likes it more :lol:

randir14

Augur
Someone made a mod to replace Bing maps with Google Maps, and it's a huge improvement. Better textures, better world coverage, better color grading, and the maps are more up to date.

Burning Bridges

Absolutely incredibly someone actually did this. Although the difference mainly seems more in resolution, the Bing data is compressed so much that it hurts.

It will of course be taken down and people might face legal consequences.

Btw for Orhto4XP I never use google maps and go with ARC instead. Even Bing is often better than google because it has better colors. With Google there is a terrible greenish tint. Now as to why this looks better in the video, maybe MSFS lighting system overrides the tint or it might also be that this is actually a zoomlevel higher than 17 or 18 which you never use in Ortho4XP because you'd need a Petabyte harddisk.

Burning Bridges

Someone made a mod to replace Bing maps with Google Maps, and it's a huge improvement. Better textures, better world coverage, better color grading, and the maps are more up to date.

I'm not gonna try this mod though, it does not sound like something that is going to work for a long time or leave you better off than without it, just like a Dx11 for Windows 7 wouldn't, nor a working artificial penis transplant for women.

Microsoft will not tolerate it, Google will not tolerate it and probably it isn't really working either. I saw something on flightsim.to about running batch files with admin privileges and even if it is secure in the long term it probably just fucks up your installation.

randir14

Augur
You're probably right about the legal issues. Some flight sim forums are already banning discussion about the mod, and supposedly it breaks Google Maps TOS. But it does work, the video shows it working and I'm using it myself. I don't think it can screw up the installation since it's just hooking into the game, not replacing any files.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
It does ovewrite windows host file while it's running. but it's open source and the code seems allright

Burning Bridges

still sounds kind of pointless to fight against Microsofts entire business plan.

if more people use it they will probably make changes which only slow down the development process. The best outcome would be that they just ignore it.

I would see better chances for a mod that downloads Bing textures in the best quality. Right now it is running at 1-2Mbs which is a bit of a joke.

Burning Bridges

internal screens of the BAe have now been shown which can only mean the plane is in heavy development

https://fselite.net/previews/justflight-previews-146-professional-hawk-t1-a-advanced-update/

255567526_10161635865013499_5439564213405566128_n-1600x900.jpg

255511665_10161635864883499_4446501974894247500_n-1600x900.jpg

255252676_10161635864858499_6991879835122981837_n-1600x900.jpg

And they look good but somehow I have started wondering why everything in MSFS looks the way it does. MAybe its just the shitty resolution, but when I did not play MSFS for a couple of weeks and came back it was a trip to uncanny valley. It does not look like real, more like an acid trip.

I think those screenshots show the effect very well. Some areas are actually almost just white, they show nothing but are only supposed to trigger some stored picture in your brain. Somehow this doesn't work anymore and I often get MSFS syndrome in which I crave older sims and their graphics.

I also noticed that even if it sometimes looks real the sense of scale is completely wrong, as if you were inside a scale diarama.

Anyway, I am looking to the BAe 146 more than any other plane. Just Flight have become my favorite TPD and the combination of size, performance and 1980s technology is exactly what I like. A 737-200 or Saab 2000 would also be right up my alley.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom