Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They have disabled crashes, and it's the fault of lunatics like you :argh:

unlike X-Plane you can crash into buildings but there is only a black "game over" screen

Burning Bridges

If they replaced a lot of code they had automatically converted into shitty Web technologies with proper C++, this might actually be true.

50% more fps and 66% footprint reduction sound quite ridiculous, but it would make people very happy.

Right now I run it capped at 40fps and the performance is ok actually. I would rather want that they offered a choice to have high res ground textures and live with less fps. But apparently they want to trim this down until the texture streaming is under 100kb/s and could run on cellphones in Africa. No good times for power users, though the results are more than ok. It looks very pretty but not nearly as high-res as you would expect on the PC.

Burning Bridges

And more good planes have been announced.

Might not be for everyone but this Fokker F28 by Just Flight gives me a massive hardon. I love 80s and 90s planes because the cockpits have just the right amount of old and new technology. It is a rumor they also are working on a BAe146 Jumbolino which they already made for X-Plane.

Screenshot-2021-06-29-at-22.13.49-1600x895.png

I have to use my imagination but this is what the cockpit could look like

65174_1067050605.jpg

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is a rumor they also are working on a BAe146 Jumbolino which they already made for X-Plane.
Always found it was an ugly and boring plane, but I kind of like it for its numerous and inspired nicknames. Such as :
  • Smurfjet with 5 APU's,
  • The Gas Chamber,
  • Bring Another Engine,
  • 1-4-Sick,
  • Airborne Auschwitz,
  • Barbie Jet,
  • 4 oil leaks connected by an electrical fault,
  • Lead Sled,
  • Mini Galaxy,
  • Fisher Price Starlifter,
  • "1 aeroplane, 4 engines, needs 6",
  • Toxic Terror,
  • Muffler (Because all the noise is on the inside),
  • The SUV of RJs,
  • Four hairdryers in close formation.

Burning Bridges

Big performance increase coming in the next patch

Did you notice he runs at renderscale 40? who would run renderscale 40?

If he wants that he should simply use a 1920x1080 monitor and run at 110-120. It will probably look better too.

Burning Bridges

Always found it was an ugly and boring plane, but I kind of like it for its numerous and inspired nicknames.

Not my favorite choice of plane either. But it's 1980s, some people simply like that.

I personally judges planes mostly on their cockpit, my personal favorite being something like a Saab 340.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Those graphics are really nice. I can't wait for the new Microprose games but their low-fi graphics are kind of a bummer. It looks nice but it's so far off this.

ADL

Prophet
Apparently the Xbox port is very good and the performance update that'll nearly double frame rates comes out tomorrow on PC.

randir14

Augur
I switched a bunch of my graphics settings from medium to high and I'm still getting 20-25 more fps than before the new patch. They also added a new gamepad cursor to interact with the panels, so it's nice not having to reach for the mouse and keyboard anymore.

Burning Bridges

Look closer, the objects and highres textures now pop in when you move the camera, like in a popamole game.

Also half the addons are broken and high altitude / far distance looks absolute shit. But it can run in 74 fps now, yay.

The update was a huge disaster for the PC users and its not even clear if Asobo care. I definitely don't care, because it is pointless to lobby for changes. They did not even bother to fix the lightning bug that generates lighting in about 50% of the flights.

It is wit it is

Burning Bridges

Since it has to run on the XBox their goal is apparently that you can run everything on Ultra on a potato.

The sim was in a pretty good state before this XBox update. The fps gains are real, however you better not look at the terrain for more than a few seconds or you will notice all the shittiness happening. Also, almost nothing is working anymore in the planes either and practically every TPD will have to patch their planes back to where they were.

This will also go on for some time now. At the moment the hands of the Frenchies are obviously bound because they have to please their XBox overlords. But at least I still get the impression that they do care for the sim and maybe also the PC. But it is all about politics. Just as we expected when this was announced.

It's not that I do not recommend the game. But it's almost impossible not to be disappointed. It's like being with a girl and 4 children and 12 family members in the same tiny appartment who are constantly interrupting the sex.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
MS gave the middle finger to the PC before when they abandoned gaming. Now they are doing it again by dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator which is the Xbox. All they needed to do was make it work well on "High" with the Xbox and let PC users can go beyond that with an Ultra or Custom option or whatever. Anyone who gave a shit about PCs would provide that.

Burning Bridges

But what are you flying instead anvi?

I can't even be angry about this anymore because I knew what would happen. I bought MSFS and planes after I had seen the problems, and I don't regret because the quality clearly was there. I did have a good time when it worked.

It's just totally ridiculous to have to take month or two long breaks because of a French developer team that does not understand the simplest things and ignore the issues.

After it happened time after time, it's no coincidence anymore: Every major update breaks your addons, causes a shitload of anger and work and there will be some new crap that you did not want. Every time one of those sim updates is dumped on your computer like a truckload of dung you get another 45 gigabytes of angst and frustration.

I don't even hate FS2020. It is simply too nice to be able to fly anywhere in the world, and have all this land data. No other sim allows that. The world in XPlane looks crap, Orthos feel like a second job and DCS maps are a joke.

But it is essentially CRAP with a ribbon around it. I guess I just need to play something else.

I also guess the guys at PMDG and other developers who bet their financial future on this are currently all at their psychotherapist. It must be one of the worst things that can happen, to just have finished a major project and now have to do half of that work over again, and most likely again every 2-3 times every year.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think all genres of gaming are going through the same thing. Your choices are either, janky indie games that mean well but can't quite pull it off. Or huge corporations making beautiful but soulless games with a million cut corners under the surface.

I don't really play anything with flying anymore, I used to play Lock On but DCS is a bit much for me. The sim is too simmy and the 'action' mode was too dumb. The most fun I ever had flying was in a mode called CTI in Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. The planes were ok but I rarely survived long enough to get good at them. But the gunships... wow. I would fly towards a mountain and then pop up, target some tanks and shoot my hellfires, then quickly drop below the mountain line again. And then a second later I could hear the bullets and missiles fly over my head :) I loved that I was playing against other people, it made it feel like more of a victory. I loved that you could basically dominate the game if you were good in a gunship, but that's exactly how it should be. But it was also tough enough that you can very easily die. You get so confident and then you hit your tail on a telegraph pole And I think most of all I loved the addictive aspect of having to earn money from blowing up targets. You had to fly back to base and pay for repairs, fuel, and rearming. And then keep going out on little sorties that you make up, to make money. And eventually you would get shot down so any money you make is essential for your new life.

Also the new life was starting with nothing but a rifle and you had to blow up tanks and stuff to earn enough to get back into the chopper... Such a brilliant and addictive game! I never managed to enjoy it in Arma 3, not really sure why.

randir14

Augur
If graphics were downgraded because of the consoles I don't understand why. The Series X uses the equivalent of something like a Ryzen 3700 and a 2070 Super which is enough to play the PC version on a mix of high and ultra. I noticed people saying the game looks too bright now, and I think I'm noticing the same thing. White highlights are kind of blown out.

randir14

Augur
Asobo confirmed the downgrades. Some will be fixed in upcoming patches, including a new graphics setting to use the old LOD system with less pop-in (and presumably lower fps).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wait, they downgraded the game on PC?

Lmao wtf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom