Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Might & Magic X Gameplay Video + Developer Q&A

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Typical Codex, rolls over for the first awesome button they find. Hitting an attack button and see numbers fly out of monsters is difficult indeed. Do you think Ubisoft is publishing this because they had a sudden change of heart?
No. Because M&M games were always retard friendly and nowadays even Skyrim is much more advanced gameplay-wise than them. I predict this'll be nothing like Kotor. :decline:

To be honest I expected more after these years... at least the following:
1) Tactical positions (guard, protect, tank etc.)
2) 360 degree movement (no step-based)

Though I am marked by Wizardry8 and I always had the feeling that Might&Magic is much more mainstream, simplified - RPGs for the poor. Having no tactics does really suck, it's like going back to the days where your wizard always died, because you just couldn't protect him. I thought we have passed this annoyance...

And I agree with another comment which is, that the character portraits look boring and generic.

Another thing is: if you look at the naturally looking landscape (it does not look grid-like), and the fact that you can rotate the mouse around freely (but it snaps back to grid view once you release the button) hints, that originally a somehow open world with full 360 degree movement was planned - and the grid based movement was implemented afterwards, so to say, it was dumbed down to grid and step based movement. -- for whatever reason they dumbed it down to step/grid based movement -- maybe because "oh grimrock was a success, now we must use the same"

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Another thing is: if you look at the naturally looking landscape (it does not look grid-like), and the fact that you can rotate the mouse around freely (but it snaps back to grid view once you release the button) hints, that originally a somehow open world with full 360 degree movement was planned - and the grid based movement was implemented afterwards, so to say, it was dumbed down to grid and step based movement. -- for whatever reason they dumbed it down to step/grid based movement -- maybe because "oh grimrock was a success, now we must use the same"

338048-images.jpeg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Step-based movement is the actual incline. At least something we can thank Legend of Grimrock for.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Why exactly is step-based movement better?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why exactly is step-based movement better?

Because it is an RPG and not a shooter. We already had that discussion about Wizardry 8 vs. the earlier Wizardries. Step-based movement is a good abstraction for RPG's.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Aside from my critics, I'm afraid we don't get anything better than MMX for the next few years. It's either this or isometric rpgs (if you are fanboi of the latter ones - i am not. And it makes me :mad: when I see that again only isometric RPGs cash in millions of funds, whereas others e.g. the failed ShakerRPG (o.k. their concept was a fail itself) not even achieved 1/10 in their campaign. But the point is: it's a sign. A sign that potential successors of games like Wizardry, M&M are still a niche compared to the mainstream WorldofWarcraft-like isometric games... and might never get funded by kickstarters.
When will we get a game with an entitlement like Wiz8 again? (and by that I don't mean a game with its only content being 1000 buttons, trapdoors to open another barred door like some... other game...)

norolim

Arcane
Aside from my critics, I'm afraid we don't get anything better than MMX for the next few years. It's either this or isometric rpgs (if you are fanboi of the latter ones - i am not. And it makes me :mad: when I see that again only isometric RPGs cash in millions of funds, whereas others e.g. the failed ShakerRPG (o.k. their concept was a fail itself) not even achieved 1/10 in their campaign. But the point is: it's a sign. A sign that potential successors of games like Wizardry, M&M are still a niche compared to the mainstream WorldofWarcraft-like isometric games... and might never get funded by kickstarters.
When will we get a game with an entitlement like Wiz8 again? (and by that I don't mean a game with its only content being 1000 buttons, trapdoors to open another barred door like some... other game...)
:what:

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's just lazy hack design, think about it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have games waiting for me that I've only replayed 6 times.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
And apparently the designer's favorite MM game is World of Xeen and he's been trying to get MMX made for three years now. That's good news, it shows that people who actually care about the series are making it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And apparently the designer's favorite MM game is World of Xeen and he's been trying to get MMX made for three years now. That's good news, it shows that people who actually care about the series are making it.
Really? Good find. What's our defcon at? I'm sure we're at guardedly optimistic now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Really? Good find. What's our defcon at? I'm sure we're at guardedly optimistic now.

I agree with Jaesun. Cautiously fapping. Getting close to gently masturbating though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, dude-
What if we're all just sharing the same dream?

Torment, P:E, a TB M&M with step-based movement in 2013, Shadowrun, etc., etc. This can't possibly be true or real.

What's next, Arcanum 2 Kickstarter?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
That would complete my dreams. I adore Arcanum and M&M perhaps the most.

But yeah, not gonna happen. Unless maybe Activision takes the hint from UBI but Arcanum wasn't a hugely popular game anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Activision owns Arcanum. Any Arcanum done by them would be utter shit.

Obsidian can take Project Eternity's setting a few hundred years into the future and make an Arcanum clone. It already has guns.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Activision owns Arcanum. Any Arcanum done by them would be utter shit.

Obsidian can take Project Eternity's setting a few hundred years into the future and make an Arcanum clone. It already has guns.
With RTwP? No thanks, even shitty turn-based is better.

I like the implicit fallacy in this.

Please stop spoiling my dream by interjecting images of you guys fapping, cautiously or not.
*smoothly unzips his pants, takes his manhood in his grip, and starts thinking about all the pretty pictures of Crispy*

(don't worry bro, Emma Watson is in there too)

likaq

Arcane
Broseph is right.
Any TB, even shitty one ( arcanum ) > rtwp.
Period.

There is not, and there will never be, a single instant where rtwp is superior to TB. Never ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom