Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Might & Magic X Gameplay Video + Developer Q&A

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
mondblutian Seal of Approval™? I've seen everything now.

mondblut

Arcane
mondblutian Seal of Approval™? I've seen everything now.

I used to be a big fan of World of Xeen, and suddenly seeing the series getting back on their track after nearly 20 years of trying to cater to FPS kiddies is, at very least, refreshing.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Past few days I have been playing Avernum 5 and I'm furious because the animations (i.e. attacking animation, casting spells etc.) are so fucking slow and you have to wait those to play out before proceeding with next action. This video was short and I didn't watch it very closely, but hopefully this game has options to speed up those animations. The goblin taking damage and dying took ages...

Answer: Yes - casters have spellbooks. You need to raise your magic skills (aka. spell school) with skill points from level-ups. Then you have to find the right trainer to get access to a higher tier. Finally you need to locate the right person to buy new spells. Sounds complicated? Well, noone said it's easy to be a caster!
:notsureifserious:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Past few days I have been playing Avernum 5 and I'm furious because the animations (i.e. attacking animation, casting spells etc.) are so fucking slow and you have to wait those to play out before proceeding with next action. This video was short and I didn't watch it very closely, but hopefully this game has options to speed up those animations. The goblin taking damage and dying took ages...

Answer: Yes - casters have spellbooks. You need to raise your magic skills (aka. spell school) with skill points from level-ups. Then you have to find the right trainer to get access to a higher tier. Finally you need to locate the right person to buy new spells. Sounds complicated? Well, noone said it's easy to be a caster!
:notsureifserious:

Give them a break. What they're doing here is rocket science compared to what we've been used to the last ten years.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
From the reddit source which you probably missed:

It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.

Oh yes, I already saw that. It's just that I need to see it with my own eyes, since it sounds to good to be true. I'm trying to not get hyped for this and it's getting difficult!

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
From the reddit source which you probably missed:

It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.

Oh yes, I already saw that. It's just that I need to see it with my own eyes, since it sounds to good to be true. I'm trying to not get hyped for this and it's getting difficult!
Like I pointed out in another thread, the movement compass in the video implies that you'll be able to get off the gravel path.

Luzur

Good Sir
It strikes me that this will be a combination of tried and true RPG design, as well as compromises made for modern conveniences. The gameplay will be a struggle between good and evil for the soul of Might & Magic. I do think, in the end, the designers will have shown to remember their roots and the good will outweigh the bad.

problem is that the dev team making this doesnt have any kind of "roots" with the old Might and Magic series to remember.

but i guess they finished their homework atleast.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those are some nice looking animations. And damn, I can't troll about the alleged-lack-of-attack-rating anymore.

Dorateen

Arcane
It strikes me that this will be a combination of tried and true RPG design, as well as compromises made for modern conveniences. The gameplay will be a struggle between good and evil for the soul of Might & Magic. I do think, in the end, the designers will have shown to remember their roots and the good will outweigh the bad.

problem is that the dev team making this doesnt have any kind of "roots" with the old Might and Magic series to remember.

but i guess they finished their homework atleast.

I thought about this. What I believe is happening, or will happen, is that Limbic Entertainment is now part of the Might & Magic universe. The original MM RPG franchise, I mean, not the other spin-offs. It's like putting on a prestigious uniform, which they have to fill out. They must answer the call, they will answer the call. So long as the designers stay true to the roots of the original games.

Doesn't happen often, but sometimes people do rise to the occasion.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, this looks surprisingly good. Not as WoW-ified as my friend seemed to suggest. I suppose the demo characters are way overpowered as each hit is doing a huge amount of damage and enemies are dying after 2-3 hits only. What I would like to know is the number of enemies that can be on-screen or surrounding the party at once? So far I'm cautiously hopeful. Maybe a little :incline: here....?

Gwendo

Augur
It looks like in combat you can only control the party as a whole, not each individual. You press attack, they all attack. You press ranged attak, they all throw arrows. What if I want one to attack, the other to guard, another to spellcast and another to use a potion?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It looks like in combat you can only control the party as a whole, not each individual. You press attack, they all attack. You press ranged attak, they all throw arrows. What if I want one to attack, the other to guard, another to spellcast and another to use a potion?
That doesn't seem to be the case except for shooting with your ranged weapons out of melee, look at that little flame thing over the portrait, it indicates the character turn.

Gozma

Arcane
The "everyone shoots" = 1 turn thing is directly ripped from M&M3-5; they still take individual turns doing stuff in melee.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Now I am sure it will be a much better game than Grimrock 2. The TB combat + non-linear world is what makes the difference.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The only good thing about Grimrock was the dungeon atmosphere and a few of the puzzles, so I dunno why people get their dicks in a knot over the game being outdoors.

Drowed

Arcane
To be honest I'm still too shocked with the recent events, not only about this game, but everything else that has happened lately. So many games to get me excited. I'm getting terrified at the possibility that they will let me down again. After all, in recent years, when something really good came it was just a good surprise. Now, many seemingly interesting games are appearing that I'm feeling too optimistic for my own good. And it worries me.

I'm trying hard to keep my expectations low, but literally, I see nothing to complain of what has been shown so far. Nothing relevant, at least.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
To be honest I'm still too shocked with the recent events, not only about this game, but everything else that has happened lately. So many games to get me excited. I'm getting terrified at the possibility that they will let me down again. After all, in recent years, when something really good came it was just a good surprise. Now, many seemingly interesting games are appearing that I'm feeling too optimistic for my own good. And it worries me.

I'm trying hard to keep my expectations low, but literally, I see nothing to complain of what has been shown so far. Nothing relevant, at least.
Don't worry. BioWare is hard at work making sure we have a balanced good/shit ratio the coming years.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I would imagine that even if this game isn't everything we hope or wish it'd be, it's certainly a huge step in the right direction (no pun intended) and any sequels it may spawn would very likely be larger and contain more depth. The same holds true for many upcoming RPG's.

It's like the industry is learning to walk again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MMX will be the better game because turn-based.

The fact that this statement can exist in a non-sarcastic form is incline in itself.
The SHEER fact that in 2013 for whatever reason UBISoft has not decided to shit all over the corpse rape of franchises that other AAA Publishers is.......astounding(?) XCOM, Thiaf, Tomb Raider, Fallout 3... the list is endless.
Apparently there seems to be someone at UBISoft that actually gets it.
Anyways, I am still awaiting more info....

flushfire

Augur
WoW threat mechanics, great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom