Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

April

Educated
New patch made cheapest mana potions restore 50 mana instead of 150 like it was, and seemed to scale down all other potions. Nice little surprise. I didn't think they will actually raise the difficulty, just fix bugs.
That's strange, I've used plenty of those cheapest mana potions, and they restored 50 mana for me.

Same, the cheapest ones have always been 50 mana for me, while cheapest healing potion have been 100 hp.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hm, maybe my mistake. But it feels like low tier pots restore less now. But at least they nerfed healers too.

Gozma

Arcane
Got it, pretty bored so far. Did not play the demo or early access thing. Picked Warrior difficulty which was a mistake in retrospect. The castle full of brigand-militia-roguemage after the lighthouse is a Geneforge 5 level slog that is daring me to drop it. This is a Wizardry game with all the tedium and plot-gated design that implies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got it, pretty bored so far. Did not play the demo or early access thing. Picked Warrior difficulty which was a mistake in retrospect. The castle full of brigand-militia-roguemage after the lighthouse is a Geneforge 5 level slog that is daring me to drop it. This is a Wizardry game with all the tedium and plot-gated design that implies.

Finish Act 1

Gozma

Arcane
Is it after the castle ends because I am at that point where I groan every time there is another floor of dungeon.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I recommend playing on Adventurer the first time around. Warrior difficulty mainly adds enemy HP bloat, so I think it's better for a second play-through, after getting a feel of the game and being able to use some meta-knowledge.

Edit: Yes, Act II starts after Castle Portmeyron.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

This criticism is pretty inane, what exactly did you expect out of a dungeon crawler?

1st Act can easily be the hardest part of the game since a large number of skills are gimped by not having expert trainers, meaning you are basically 1/2 as strong as a another character who has Expert training and 2x the skill points invested. Don't be afraid to rest every fight if you have to.

Gozma

Arcane

This criticism is pretty inane, what exactly did you expect out of a dungeon crawler?

Compare it to MM3 or Xeen. Those games have almost no build sperging, the power growth curve is explosive, combat is instantaneously fast whether you kill or die, and something like navigating to a secluded fountain can let you completely leapfrog your current "power gates". Those also give you instant backtracking tools very early in the game. This is something like Wizardry or the later Geneforges where you figure out some power combo (e.g. abusing Sleep or bard songs in Wizardry 6/strong daze and charm in Geneforge 5) and then try to apply it to a trillion slow fights with minor variations, using some secondary power combo in the cases where the first one breaks.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Compare it to MM3 or Xeen. Those games have almost no build sperging, the power growth curve is explosive, combat is instantaneously fast whether you kill or die, and something like navigating to a secluded fountain can let you completely leapfrog your current "power gates". Those also give you instant backtracking tools very early in the game. This is something like Wizardry or the later Geneforges where you figure out some power combo (e.g. abusing Sleep or bard songs in Wizardry 6/strong daze and charm in Geneforge 5) and then try to apply it to a trillion slow fights with minor variations, using some secondary power combo in the cases where the first one breaks.

Misjudged what you were saying then. Are you saying the sense of progression in MMX is uninteresting compared to these other games? I don't have that much experience with dungeon crawlers (didn't play MM3 or Xeen, the only Wizardry I've played is 8), to me they're mostly the same, although I can see that in terms of growth curve the earlier MM (6-7) were more interesting, if only because MMX has a very boring range of possible spells. I suppose your criticism is on the other range of the scale - I'm curious how the veterans actually see this game, if it's a competent crawler or mostly plain compared to the classics.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
The Limbo dungeon is awful. Pop culture reference after pop culture reference (admittedly there was a time when I would have liked this), two doors with codes that are just lying around, one puzzle which I did actually have a lot of trouble with and ended up cheating on because I wasn't enjoying the dungeon anyway, finishing with what may be the most tedious final boss I have ever encountered.

Are you saying the sense of progression in MMX is uninteresting compared to these other games?
I suspect he's also talking about the pacing. You just have to load up MM3 and step outside the town to get an immediate feel for the difference. You start rapidly plowing through hordes of weak goblins who chip at your health at an equally rapidly pace, and if you get carried away somebody dies. It almost feels like real time without the need for good reflexes.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Finally finished the game. The final dungeon almost made me want to smash my keyboard. It was really a painful chore.

But hey at least it's done! Time to restart MM7.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yup. The last dungeon is just awful. It's crazy how frequent it is that great RPGs let their last levels be mindnumbing shit full of filler combat and other redundancies. I know you really gotta accentuate your "ending" with some whizzbangs, but endless combat encounters you can faceroll through is not the way to do it.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Terrible endgames are an RPG tradition and especially a Might & Magic tradition. At least the end of MMX wasn't as unsatisfying as 7, IMO.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
It's nothing special. The worst part is that you have to return to the questgiver to watch a cutscene. Felt very anticlimactic.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I absolutely hated MM7 endgame, mainly because before that game I had no idea the original M&M universe had sci-fi stuff. Totally ruined my immershun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/113213-might-magic-x-legacy-review/all-pages.html

Doesn't take into account the effects of the new patch, so some of the criticisms are invalid.

For the very first quest in the game, you're asked to kill some spiders under a well. The quest giver makes a joke that at least he's not asking you to kill rats in a cellar... except that he is, and nobody on the writing staff seems to realize that the quests are all but the same.

WHOOSH! Thank god it's not by sea.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/113213-might-magic-x-legacy-review/all-pages.html

Doesn't take into account the effects of the new patch, so some of the criticisms are invalid.

For the very first quest in the game, you're asked to kill some spiders under a well. The quest giver makes a joke that at least he's not asking you to kill rats in a cellar... except that he is, and nobody on the writing staff seems to realize that the quests are all but the same.

Someone actually wrote a comment that fucking dumb?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Someone actually wrote a comment that fucking dumb?

That's a sentence from the review itself!!

Eyeball

Arcane
MM7's endgame was the derpiest derp that ever derped. No end boss and hordes of HP sponge cyborg Ninja robots to kill with laser rifles in a spaceship. So fucking retarded, thank Christ they excised the shitty sci-fi elements.

Personally, I quite liked MMX's end game - I like the big bad boss popping up to take potshots at you when trying to fight his Little homies and I don't mind that the end boss is essentially an exercise in adventuregamism. After all the slog it took to get to the final boss, it was a welcome change.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
The boss itself wasn't too bad, a mole I didn't mind having to repeatedly pop (even if being able to sleep between bouts made no sense), but I'm pretty sure that when people refer to the MMX endgame they're including the five floors of trash mobs that preceded the boss.

Game Banshee said:
Unlike most RPGs where you create a single character and then either play the game solo or gather up companions as you go, in Legacy you create your full party of four characters right at the start.
hmmmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom