Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned was a bump in spear damage, as well. Pretty sure my hunter's spear damage went from 32-64 to 32-87. Not bad.

Hell yeah! I was half expecting to having to wait until the later part of the month...guess it's time to think about what my party should be...anyone want to share their thoughts?

I am pretty set on having a Crusader as my first character, and def want a 2nd melee character as well though I'm undecided at this point. What's the general consensus on 2HD merc? I know the blade dancer is supposed to be really powerful but frankly I'm really turned off at how silly they look. Also, I was going to go with 2 mages the first being fire (and maybe something else) with focus GM, and the second being my healer with Earth and whatever other supporting magic discipline.

My 2h-sword mercenary is fine at the midway point. I leveled Might (dmg) and Destiny (crit-chance, dodge). It's hard to say where he'll be late-game considering there are other classes that can GM their weapons. But, Mercenary is really the only one that can carry two-hand swords around, which means he can get double-attacks on his 2h weapon. With a Relentless attribute, it might be even more. I've already seen my Mercenary pull double-crits for big, chunky damage. Dunno if he can beat a Scout or Bladedancer on pure "DPS", but he's respectable enough.

I was lucky and got a higher-end Relentless 2hand sword from the shop in Seahaven early in the game. My merc's really been wrecking stuff for quite a while. I just managed to get her promoted, but haven't gotten a chance to GM Warfare so I can use the auto-crit ability. One thing I would recommend, though, is getting your Perception up somehow. The merc loses out on 20 Attack, and I've noticed she misses more than I'd like. Getting some mana drain and using the auto-hit ability could work instead, but I haven't managed to set that up yet.

LivingOne

Savant
More than party barks it's towns' barks

"Don't you have anything better to do than to chat of women?!"

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More than party barks it's towns' barks

The one that sounds like an attempted rape is the weirdest.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I turned off party barks at the third "Who forgot to take a bath".

I think this depends on the VA to some degree.

The first time I played MMX, my female Elf was absolutely insufferable with this line, nearly making me rage quit. On the second playthrough, my designated hygiene inquirer was a male dwarf, and I actually enjoyed his delivery a lot. He just put so much effort into making it sound funny, it was almost admirable.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
All the worlds in MM1-5 were flat (VARN in MM1, CRON in MM2, Terra in MM3, and Xeen in MM4-5).
wrong. cron and its varns were flat because they were an ancient-made vehicle. terra was a whole planet not made by the ancients and the isles were just nacelles sheltem crashed into it or something like that. last but not least xeen became a round planet at the end.
I admit I was partly wrong, but my main point was to show that the flat nacelles are an important part of M&M lore. I was only wrong regarding MM3 and I appreciate you pointing it out, since I tend to be a bit of a pedant. The fact that Xeen is no longer flat when the game ends is splitting hairs.

Anyway, does anybody know whether the patch fixed Jassad's bestiary quest?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I turned off party barks at the third "Who forgot to take a bath".

I think this depends on the VA to some degree.

The first time I played MMX, my female Elf was absolutely insufferable with this line, nearly making me rage quit. On the second playthrough, my designated hygiene inquirer was a male dwarf, and I actually enjoyed his delivery a lot. He just put so much effort into making it sound funny, it was almost admirable.
Huh, same. I've been searching for one sarcastic voice for the party, and in the end, picked a male dwarf. And he does all the lines well, not just that one.

What, he's famous or somethin?

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
So is the Dwarven Defender completely useless or something, seems like he can only force one enemy a turn to attack him instead of my squishy characters, but his provoke attack keeps missing or being blocked so I have to keep putting points into Might, which itself is contradictory for a tank...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
So is the Dwarven Defender completely useless or something, seems like he can only force one enemy a turn to attack him instead of my squishy characters, but his provoke attack keeps missing or being blocked so I have to keep putting points into Might, which itself is contradictory for a tank...
The Skullcrack ability he gets at Master level Warfare is useful against many casters, but I agree that he's a limited character who doesn't live up to his name, since he can't really defend the rest of the party. I often ended up with him as last man standing due to his high HP, heavy armor and shield.

Haven't actually used one, but:

GM shield = he can block anyone in the party.
+1% block chance per shield points = 75% block chance at GM
Promotion ability = only lose block chances on successful blocks.
M shield = free counter attack off first block.

I think you can hit 4 block attempts per turn, maybe 5, which sounds insanely good since it means your entire group effectively has 75% chance to take no damage from attacks until those are exhausted. +1 attacks per turn ain't too bad either, though you are only 1-handing your weapon so it probably just puts you on par with 2-handers. And keep in mind that this is all effectively free stuff he can do while wailing away with his axe or mace with guaranteed crits from GM warfare (huge axe crit damage or guaranteed mace stuns).

Seems quite powerful to me, but only once you've promoted and GMed shield. Before then it's shit and he's just a gimped melee character.

One interesting question is whether 2 shield guards would give you a (1 - (.25 * .25)) = 93.75% chance of blocking any attacks since both dwarfs would be rolling for the block, ontop of 8 or more block chances per turn. Could be cool for a melee-only playthrough. Of course spells and shit still get through. I don't know what the blockable to unblockable ratio is since I haven't played a game that relied on blocking.

In any case, "tanks" don't exist. Pretty much everyone should be putting the majority of their points into either might or magic depending on their specialization.

EDIT: NVM, I read the skill descriptions again and he only blocks RANGED attacks against the party. So yeah... back to being mostly useless.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Isn't THC determined by perception, not Might?

So with the ranged attack bonus provided by the patch my party has been tearing through things like knife through butter. Level 15/16 and just killed Montbard, and cleared Lost City Level 4 for good measure picking up the Water Shard. The 2h mace barbarian does 100+ damage a hit while the ranged damage still isn't that high but is reliable, and when up against melee characters rushing at you from afar they are very effective.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game really felt easier on my new playthrough last night. My party was,

-Female orc barbarian with heroic voice, (don't do this mistake, go get a male orc always...) going for 2h maces.
-Female dwarven scout, again heroic, thinking to invest in crossbow a bit since we can kill things with it in new version. Will expertise in fire for burning determination.
-Male elven druid with heroic voice, another mistake... (it hurst?!?!?) Earth ad water GM not decided with other skills, maybe mystic for mana.
-Male human free(dark...)mage again heroic voice, it really stinks that there is only 1 character able to cast dark magic...He's going for expert dark and GM light (shadow priest?). Probably GM air for damage, not decided to GM primordial or not.

Like I said, even with really bad gear I completed lighthouse much more easier than my first dwarven team. Probably did some mistakes palying then :)
Still got some performance issues but its better than before. Loading times are also better (or I got used to them maybe)

Heresiarch

Prophet

The solution is very easy: use a dual wielder to waste all the block attempts first, then strike with Challenge.

THC can be improved with spells such as eagle eye, with points into perception, against non bosses with poison as well. Enemy blocking is a major headache until you realize blocking attempts can be wasted by attacking with other characters first.

Against single enemies including most bosses the defender is a godsend. My typical attack sequence is: warden dualwield attack first to waste all the blocking attempts, freemage drop a cyclone, defender challenge, finally the paladin heal if the defender is heavily damaged, celestial armor if I need some cautions, attack if things look safe, or challenge too if the defender's challenge missed.

DraQ

Arcane
I would have thought they'd reduce the melee ranged attack penalty at each training tier. Seems the obvious way to make the bows more useful and add some attraction to boosting your skill with them.

By far the most obvious way to make bows, among other things, make more sense is to code in row formations.

Unfortunately the absurd lack of formations seems to me like another case of a lead developer coming up with a "brilliantly" unorthodox idea and stubbornly sticking to it against the whole world.
So the supposed massive incline and rebirth of blobbers has 4 races and no formation mechanics at all?

April

Educated
I would have thought they'd reduce the melee ranged attack penalty at each training tier. Seems the obvious way to make the bows more useful and add some attraction to boosting your skill with them.

By far the most obvious way to make bows, among other things, make more sense is to code in row formations.

Unfortunately the absurd lack of formations seems to me like another case of a lead developer coming up with a "brilliantly" unorthodox idea and stubbornly sticking to it against the whole world.
So the supposed massive incline and rebirth of blobbers has 4 races and no formation mechanics at all?

I don't see why the number of races would have anything to do with the quality of a game, but I agree about the lack of formations, that's something I really miss in this game.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

I don't see why the number of races would have anything to do with the quality of a game, but I agree about the lack of formations, that's something I really miss in this game.
He's just butthurt about the lack of scalies. Also, formation has never really been a thing in Might and Magic after the first two anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

MMX certainly isn't raising the level of modern gaming back to the Wizardry 7 level but it is very solid, enjoyable blobber published in 2014. Plus it's a full-blown turnbased RPG, not just a realtime dungeon crawler like Grimrock.

Races aren't a problem, since in reality they make up for 12 very different characters.

The lack of formation system is actually, in my view, the only real problem in this game, since it forces you to pump vitality in your lightly-armored mages before everything else and it makes your ranged classes basically useless for the majority of the plyathrough (until they gain the lategame Pointblank Shot ability that removes the ranged melee penalty). Apart from that the game is surprisingly enjoyable, with the potential to be even better with future added content, tweaks, mods and better optimalization.

Tigranes

Arcane
I discovered - something that should have been obvious - that the best order is to have my Scout attack first, waste the block attempt, then go in with the Barbarian's Provoke. Mace Masters' stun with crit is already giving some results and I should really jack up Destiny to maximise the effect.

Fire doesn't seem as high damage as it should be given its lack of other uses yet.

Loriac

Arcane
25% off on Steam today for anyone (like me) who's not yet taken the plunge on this game. I assume that the deluxe version is the one to go for?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Soo...anyone tried the new dungeons yet?

I'm not planning to go back to MMX anytime soon unless the hivemind starts raving about the new content.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
25% off on Steam today for anyone (like me) who's not yet taken the plunge on this game. I assume that the deluxe version is the one to go for?
That's what I got. It includes an exclusive dungeon, a digital copy of MM6, the MMX soundtrack, and the first DLC will be free

Soo...anyone tried the new dungeons yet?

I'm not planning to go back to MMX anytime soon unless the hivemind starts raving about the new content.
I found the Citadel of Crows in the Desolate Wilds, west of the mysterious crypt, but didn't enter yet.

Luzur

Good Sir
Yo, guys!

we got this on the VIP forums to share with you all:

Hello everyone!

Starting tonight at 7PM CET, and until February 24th, many games of Ubisoft's catalog will have a reduced price on both the UPlay shop and Steam. This includes several Might & Magic titles, even Might & Magic X :)

It is therefore a great opportunity for people who haven't bought MMXL yet to make the jump, especially since the patch was released yesterday :)

Here's a Uplay shop link for the M&M games: http://shop.ubi.com/promo/94507400
(The discount is not shown yet, it will only appear at 7PM.)

Might & Magic X will have a -25% discount, while the rest of the M&M titles will have a -75% discount (including Heroes VI Complete).

On Steam there will also be a Might & Magic "franchise pack" containing Dark Messiah + Heroes V + Hammers of Fate + Tribes of the East + Clash of Heroes + Clash DLC + Heroes VI Complete for $40 which is a bargain ;)

Please spread the word on your sites, communities and social networks :)

Thanks!

Julien

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom