Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The fact that there is no 2h mace relic
There is one, though you can only get it very late in the game. TBH it didn't matter to my barbarian much, because he was doing insane damage with just a green magic mace, and the stun made a HUGE difference mid-game when I got lucky and stunlocked some tough opponents several rounds in a row.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Great game with some annoying stuff dragging it down and the entirely expected shitty plot/dialogue/whatever. Pity about the complete lack of charm due to the engine and assets and so on, but the sheer heart that obviously went into it made up for a lot in that regard.

:4/5:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How about you axe Google that question, hmm?

Tomb of Thousand Terrors level 4, near the very end of the game

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron do you happen to have an insight on how well it did in sales?
No hard data, no. I don't think it did extremely well, but the real question is how much money it made relative to its budget.
Blackguards seems to have made more money than MMX when it came out (although it didn't do as well when it was an Early Access title, so perhaps it all evens out in the end).

From what I gathered doing a quick Steam exclusive research and very basic calculations (I know both titles are not Steam exclusive, but those numbers are the most easily accessible for a quick estimation and both titles were available via the Steam Early Access program so I assume Might & Magic and The Dark Eye hardcore fans alike and probably a significant chunk of the target audience bought it there to get immediate access... I know for a fact that at least I personally did purchase via Steam in both cases ;)):

Concurrent players, all-time peak according to Steamcharts.com
Blackguards: 2,348
MMX: 7,953

Both games peaked player wise around release day.

General research into concurrent players to sales ratio, once again based exclusively on the Steam numbers:
The post-mortem for Eldritch for example states that on release day they made roughly $15,000 while selling for $11,99

launch.png

Which equals around 1,250 sales with 116 concurrent players tops during the first sale days.

So applying this sale/player ratio for a very crude estimation of Steam sales up until / on day 1:
Blackguards sold 25,300 copies
MMX sold 85,700 copies

Like I said this whole thing is only a very crude and quickly done estimation, but it gives me the impression that MMX sold more copies than Blackguards.
And even though a copy of Blackguards costs more than a copy of MMX, the apparently big sales difference also gives the impression that MMX actually earned more money than Blackguards.

Once again this is all based on Steam numbers exclusively, so you might have based your statement that Blackguards did better than MMX money wise on other more reliable and/or more diverse sources.
For example one big German retail store chain ("Saturn") releases weekly video game sales charts, for this week Blackguards is No. 10 and MMX is No. 11.

In regards to the Budget of both titles I have not the slightest idea and as you pointed out that's an important factor as well. I only know that it was hinted at several times on how small and "indie" the budget for MMX was, since it has been something along the lines of an experiment for the suits upstairs more than anything else really.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
How do you know whether or not your party in a blobber is not just one character with multiple personality disorder?
a good indication would be a game over screen when one of them dies but ability to res when the others do.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
He'd have to be a pretty fast guy, performing four actions in the time it takes most to do one. I prefer the multi-headed monster characterisation.

Are there actually any enemies that can send you to sleep? I had a whole bunch of sleep-warding items in reserve for when I started encountering enemies who could cast sleep on me, which turned out to be a complete waste of inventory space.

Renevent

Cipher
Finally started playing this after finishing Blackguards (also great)...really enjoying it. I personally think they nailed the feel of older PC-RPG's and thoroughly enjoy my time with the game so far which is just past the first act. With that said I think I'm going to stop playing until the new patch due to a couple reasons:

a) New patch seems to have a ton of improvements and some content additions

b) I think I borked my party. I chose a freemage as my Earth mage (healer) and didn't at the time realize he can only go up to master.

Honestly the second reason isnt *that* big of a deal and I'm still doing well in game...it's just bothering me too much knowing I can't GM earth lol.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wish there were more classes or better yet, more advanced classes for each class with different benefits.

Also thanks Angelo85 Infinitron i hope these guys do really well, their fuck ups cant hide that their heart is in the right place.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Angelo85 Interesting. All I know is that for the period after MMX's and Blackguards' releases, Blackguards was consistently higher than it on the top sellers chart. It might be that MMX "spiked" very hard at the beginning and then dropped down below Blackguards immediately afterwards, giving the impression that it sold less.

Zeriel

Arcane
Was Blackguards on early access for over half a year before release like MMXL? Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Angelo85 Interesting. All I know is that for the period after MMX's and Blackguards' releases, Blackguards was consistently higher than it on the top sellers chart. It might be that MMX "spiked" very hard at the beginning and then dropped down below Blackguards immediately afterwards, giving the impression that it sold less.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

There's also the sales from uPlay directly which may not be marginal.
Me and a buddy of mine did exactly that since from past experiences we knew better than to buy an Ubi game on Steam.

Renevent

Cipher
Hell yeah! I was half expecting to having to wait until the later part of the month...guess it's time to think about what my party should be...anyone want to share their thoughts?

I am pretty set on having a Crusader as my first character, and def want a 2nd melee character as well though I'm undecided at this point. What's the general consensus on 2HD merc? I know the blade dancer is supposed to be really powerful but frankly I'm really turned off at how silly they look. Also, I was going to go with 2 mages the first being fire (and maybe something else) with focus GM, and the second being my healer with Earth and whatever other supporting magic discipline.

Last edited:

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is getting pretty desperate. Perhaps I'll get all the chars to level 32 after the fortress of crows.

betrayal

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/post-launch-patch-1-now-available

POST-LAUNCH PATCH 1 NOW AVAILABLE!
Hello adventurers!

You have been waiting for it and might already saw it, but here it comes, the official release of Might & Magic X – Legacy first post launch patch!

Your game should patch automatically on both Uplay & Steam platforms.

To discover all improvements of this version, please check our last week article on MMX OpenDev http://bit.ly/1gb9I8N

2014.02.19%20-%20MM%20Body%20-%20600x...%20-%20Patch1.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Started a new party for the patch

Axe/Sword/DW Mercenary
Earth/Wind/Spear Shaman
Bow/Dagger Ranger
Primal/Dark/Light Freemage

The Mercenary and the Shaman will take all barrels (Shaman every blue one, Merc everything else). I'll boost them to become the most 'useful' on purpose. I really want a maxed-out Mercenary :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom