Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Zeriel

Arcane
Compare it to MM3 or Xeen. Those games have almost no build sperging, the power growth curve is explosive, combat is instantaneously fast whether you kill or die, and something like navigating to a secluded fountain can let you completely leapfrog your current "power gates". Those also give you instant backtracking tools very early in the game. This is something like Wizardry or the later Geneforges where you figure out some power combo (e.g. abusing Sleep or bard songs in Wizardry 6/strong daze and charm in Geneforge 5) and then try to apply it to a trillion slow fights with minor variations, using some secondary power combo in the cases where the first one breaks.

So you like easy games that make you feel like a god for no particular reason. Updated my Gozma.txt.

GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/113213-might-magic-x-legacy-review/all-pages.html

Doesn't take into account the effects of the new patch, so some of the criticisms are invalid.

For the very first quest in the game, you're asked to kill some spiders under a well. The quest giver makes a joke that at least he's not asking you to kill rats in a cellar... except that he is, and nobody on the writing staff seems to realize that the quests are all but the same.

WHOOSH! Thank god it's not by sea.

That reviewer fell face-first into a WHOOSH puddle and still managed to miss it.

Lhynn

Arcane
MM7's endgame was the derpiest derp that ever derped. No end boss and hordes of HP sponge cyborg Ninja robots to kill with laser rifles in a spaceship. So fucking retarded, thank Christ they excised the shitty sci-fi elements.
Personally, I quite liked MMX's end game - I like the big bad boss popping up to take potshots at you when trying to fight his Little homies and I don't mind that the end boss is essentially an exercise in adventuregamism. After all the slog it took to get to the final boss, it was a welcome change.
Fucking cunts cannot into awesome anymore.
I mean re-read what you wrote: end of game fighting "cyborg Ninja robots to kill with laser rifles in a spaceship". I dont mind it not being there, but it deffinitely lost some of the uniqueness of it all.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
For the very first quest in the game, you're asked to kill some spiders under a well. The quest giver makes a joke that at least he's not asking you to kill rats in a cellar... except that he is, and nobody on the writing staff seems to realize that the quests are all but the same.
I saw this and cannot get myself to read the rest of the review. Has modern gaming really made gamers THIS dumb?

Good thing for Brother None that he no longer works at Gamebanshee. My outrage will be directed at sea instead. WTF is this shit?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I saw this and cannot get myself to read the rest of the review. Has modern gaming really made gamers THIS dumb?

Good thing for Brother None that he no longer works at Gamebanshee. My outrage will be directed at sea instead. WTF is this shit?
I am kinda probably not really writing for GB anymore. Maybe.

That said, it's Steven Carter's preview. I can't really speak to the guy, he doesn't really talk with the rest of the "GB crowd."

Eyeball

Arcane
MM7's endgame was the derpiest derp that ever derped. No end boss and hordes of HP sponge cyborg Ninja robots to kill with laser rifles in a spaceship. So fucking retarded, thank Christ they excised the shitty sci-fi elements.
Personally, I quite liked MMX's end game - I like the big bad boss popping up to take potshots at you when trying to fight his Little homies and I don't mind that the end boss is essentially an exercise in adventuregamism. After all the slog it took to get to the final boss, it was a welcome change.
I mean re-read what you wrote: end of game fighting "cyborg Ninja robots to kill with laser rifles in a spaceship". I dont mind it not being there, but it deffinitely lost some of the uniqueness of it all.
Mechanically, it was fucking boring. Huge HP robots with big damage taking ages to slog through.
Stylistically, it was ridiculous. Wiz8 did an excellent job at integrating the silly sci-fi elements into a pseudofantasy storyline, MM7 just seemed like it got bored with orcs and demons and decided fuck this, LAZORTIME!

It's like if they decided to have Schindler's List end with a kung-fu match between Genghiz Khan and Abraham Lincoln. Completely nonsensical when seen alongside the rest of the game.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might & Magic was always a fantasy world with a sci-fi twist at the end. If you had played the games prior to MM7 you would have known that. :M

Eyeball

Arcane
Which is fine. If it is Integrated into the storyline in a halfway coherent way. Would you have accepted it without question if Gladiator had ended with Luke Skywalker zooming by in a spaceship blasting the emperor with a laser cannon? No, because that would have been fucking silly and out of nowhere. Like it was in MM7.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its.a.game.
Stop taking it so seriously ffs, if well executed it can be awesome. in which case, yes, the execution of that in mm7 wasnt very good, but the combat in that game wasnt all that interesting to begin with.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The review is fair. The guy did invest 60 hours in it if he's not lying, and his overall opinion is positive.

That's an interesting part - if you pick on things in game one by one, they may not be so impressive, but the gameplay is surprisingly addictive. It's just fun to build parties and kill monsters.

The spiders in the well thing actually shows the weakness of the game - that developers had to use provided setting of HoMM VI while they probably wanted to make players of older M&M feel at home. In the end it's not satisfying for either party, as new players (and new players means more $$$) find that lame, while old players find all the archangel shit and new wowish visual style lame.

But in the end it doesn't matter much, because behind that there is an addictive blobber, which is not about archangels or spiders, but about your customized party growing, killing and looting, and that's the story I like.

Lhynn

Arcane

Its.a.game.
Stop taking it so seriously ffs

:whatho:
Basically means games take themselves too seriously to take you anywhere interesting or new. Gamers are too embarrassed to have their games lead them into bizarre places.
And gamers think they want to play the same thing from start to finish, while i see nothing wrong with starting as a warrior in the bronze age and finishing as a priest in Jupiter marrying the emperor of the galaxy with a goat.
As long as the transition is smooth and the story telling cohesive and coherent i see nothing wrong with that.
Shit, thats why i love san andreas so much, you see an ignorant nigger of a gettho transform himself into this man of the world, and the things in between? burning pot, fighting the military, alone. getting a jet-pack, working for the FBI (if i remember correctly), etc. felt like a fresh story worth telling. Instead of a rehash and just going thru the motions.

Thats how i feel :M

Gozma

Arcane
So you like easy games that make you feel like a god for no particular reason. Updated my Gozma.txt.

I'm sure you felt very clever chaining heals or divine armor or whatever it's called the first couple of times you used that to tank a trash encounter over the course of 2-3 minutes of somnambulic clicking, but it turns out difficulty is not a multiplication of tedium. OG Might and Magic is about sperging over knowledge of the gameworld, not builds or MMORPGish mez and DPS/healing "tactics" against mindless AIs. Hey, MMX just needed kiting to round out the worthless single player RPG tedium-tactics-triumvirate. Maybe when they make a free movement sequel eh?

Now that said, I got into the second act point where you can go into Seahaven and I can finally get into a regular patient RPG groove since I can leave an area when I get bored of it instead of being railroaded.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

if only i could login and post that they are dumb as shit for saying that.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/113213-might-magic-x-legacy-review.html#comment-1256097886

:hero:

Angthoron

Arcane

if only i could login and post that they are dumb as shit for saying that.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/113213-might-magic-x-legacy-review.html#comment-1256097886

:hero:
Self-referential humour, how does it work?

The guy replying to Infinitron has a point - what the reviewer likely meant is that even if you're winking to the audience to show you recognize you're doing something banal, you're still doing something banal; not that the developers were genuinely unaware of what they were doing.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The guy replying to Infinitron has a point - what the reviewer likely meant is that even if you're winking to the audience to show you recognize you're doing something banal, you're still doing something banal; not that the developers were genuinely unaware of what they were doing.

This. It IS a shit joke without a punchline and deserves to be called out as one.

Angthoron

Arcane
Considering it's about a beginner adventuring party, I can't really fault them for doing so. Games that throw a newbie hero into a situation where you take on a dozen EPIC assailants with relative ease are actually even more laughable.

Besides, those lame spiders could maybe spell a TPW to someone that underestimated the effects of poison and derped around without applying antidote for too long. They're not exactly defenseless rats.

Of course, nothing stopped the devs from completely skipping the mandatory rat dungeon and sending people out into the wild, but again, I see it as a "tutorial for people that haven't ever seen a blobber".

Though yes, it's not really an amazingly funny joke.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
what the reviewer likely meant is that even if you're winking to the audience to show you recognize you're doing something banal, you're still doing something banal; not that the developers were genuinely unaware of what they were doing.

Well, that's precisely what he said:

nobody on the writing staff seems to realize that the quests are all but the same.

I interpret that bit as "nobody on the writing staff realizes that if the quest plays the exact same way it's not a joke", not that he thinks the staff are literally oblivious to the fact that sending you to kill spiders in a well is just like sending you to kill rats in a cellar. He even mentions the questgiver's joke, so he understands it's supposed to be humorous. Basically, I believe he meant "the joke is not funny" but he expressed it poorly, makes it look like he thinks the staff is braindead.

Yes, he could just be that much of an aspie, but I think it's more likely that he just didn't think over that bit of the text thoroughly.

Considering it's about a beginner adventuring party, I can't really fault them for doing so. Games that throw a newbie hero into a situation where you take on a dozen EPIC assailants with relative ease are actually even more laughable.

The party could be sent to do something more interesting, instead. I dunno, retrieve an item in another village. Something. It doesn't have to be about either epic quests right off the bat or pest extermination.

Angthoron

Arcane

The party could be sent to do something more interesting, instead. I dunno, retrieve an item in another village. Something. It doesn't have to be about either epic quests right off the bat or pest extermination.

Oh, fuck yes, a FedEx quest, just what another RPG needs at the start, totally not done before a million times.

See? Pretty easy to ridicule just about any standard opener. Thing is, you can do them well, or you can make it shit-fucking-dumb. I didn't feel the spider cave to be on the same level of "meh" as, for example, BG1 rats in the storage, or, say, DA: O rats in the storage (so much blood! doge!), so, while the actual premise for luring the player into combat is lukewarm, it's not really a structure that actually needs removal.

However, I do recall M&M 6, 7, 8 openers being more interesting. "You're taking part in a tournament, this is why you're killing shit!", "Oh hey, we want you to kill goblins because they SHOOT FUCKING CANNONS AT US FROM THAT FORT", "DO YOU WANT THAT CASTLE? CLEAR IT", all are much better than standard stuff, I'd say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom