Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing in warrior mode, and since I read that the game could be stupid easy with blade dancers and a lot of dedicated DPS, I went for a hybrid-heavy party to increase the difficulty.

I'm using a:
Defender: high vitality and perception; shield/warfare spec, with expert fire/h. armor and free pts to arcane disc and axe
Paladin: high spirit and perception; master light, expert m. armor/warfare/arcane disc and free points to sword
Hunter: high might, some destiny; GM spear, expert dodge/air, not sure what to do with the rest of his points
Druid: high magic/spirit and some destiny; master water/earth/prime, expert magical focus w/ some arcane discipline thrown in

all chars are 18 (end of Act 2), I use a lot of potions (mainly mana), but so far it is a good balance of difficulty. I definitely abuse the shit out of celestial armor, I put 1 pt into light for my druid just to be able to cast it.

any comments / suggestions for this party or a more difficult second playthrough?

Tigranes

Arcane
Hunter / Bladedancer are super powerful, and tend to be high damage one trick ponies. Though I don't know about a spear hunter. Might as well beef up some Mysticism and go GM Dodge.

The defender and paladin point distribution seems pretty defensive, not sure if that will make you a bit impotent in attack later.

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been putting points toward Destiny on the Paladin. In warrior mode, you appreciate as many critical hits you can get.

Also, have a been going strong on Might for Defender, and I'm seeing a nice top level of damage (Imperial Axe) even on regular hits. But it's hard not to neglect points in Spirit for a higher mana pool, to use more warfare abilities in battle. I haven't enjoyed so much satisfaction in a cRPGs as skullcracking Dark Wizards!

Gozma

Arcane
DPS doesn't make the game too easy, it makes it less boring. Damage mitigation is what makes it too easy. Every character should have some primary way of doing damage - mitigation can be secondary stuff like having two DPS casters with one being a light magic master and one an expert on the side. Never put any skill points in non-magic mitigation (e.g. dodge or endurance) until your damage is maximized; the penalty for ignoring this advice is sitting through more shitty fights against enemies that can't reasonably kill you while you whittle them down with cheapo offense.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
DPS doesn't make the game too easy, it makes it less boring. Damage mitigation is what makes it too easy. Every character should have some primary way of doing damage - mitigation can be secondary stuff like having two DPS casters with one being a light magic master and one an expert on the side. Never put any skill points in non-magic mitigation (e.g. dodge or endurance) until your damage is maximized; the penalty for ignoring this advice is sitting through more shitty fights against enemies that can't reasonably kill you while you whittle them down with cheapo offense.
I agree, but in my case I think I went too far in the other direction and made my spellcasters glass cannons. They're half a level behind my melee guys because they were dead/unconscious when the killing blow was struck. Now that I have Water Membrane, I hope they won't lose out as much experience.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
We're discussing different playstyles, but for me, keeping the party's freemage alive is half the fun and challenge of combat.
I also had fun figuring out how to alternate healing and protection spells, but every so often I encounter creatures like a groups of elite ravenous ghouls who can one-hit kill my freemage, even with celestial armor, stone skin. C'est la vie.

Dorateen

Arcane
Just completed a ubisoft survey, doing what I can to influence the direction of future Might & Magic titles. Final parting comments offered:

Make more Might & Magic games in the style of the classics from 80's and early 90's

Tigranes

Arcane
Completed the survey, saying M&M X was good, make more in its spirit, no ARPGs or MMOs, and also your survey is the shittest survey in the history of surveys.

Seriously, there were about 30 different windows.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also completed the survey and made sure that all my responses made it clear that I want MM III thru VII... NO MMOs, Diablo-clones, tablet/ mobile junk, etc. Made sure they knew I ONLY play on a PC and that I want harder, more interesting dungeons, encounters and puzzles.

Oh yeah, I also typed in the last comment that I WANT PHYSICAL BOXED COPIES SOLD IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I asked for more party members, more tactical options in combat, more riddles and puzzles, and free-roaming movement. Closing comments: Make more Might & Magic RPGs.

imweasel

Great, I can hardly wait. :)

I shall get the DLC from the PB, even though I bought and really enjoyed MMX. Fuck Ubisoft and their Uplay shit. Sorry Limbic bros.

If you have the Deluxe Edition you already have it
Might & Magic X - Legacy Digital Deluxe Early Access Edition

I do have the deluxe edition. Completely forgot about the free DLC.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's a bit surprising to see Divinity: Original Sin on the "games you own" list - I do have the alpha version installed, sure (that technically counts as a "yes", I suppose), but why exactly do they expect me to rate it already?
Anyway, no surprise here - voted in favour of tile-based/turn-based mechanics, et cetera.

Answermancer

Educated
I filled out the survey, put the following for my comment (why the fuck was it only one line in the UI? You can type as much as you want but instead of being a proper multi-line text box they only make it one line, maybe to trick you into being brief. I was not tricked.).

Make another proper, turn-based Might and Magic game. Do it! I will buy it, I will buy it multiple times for friends. I loved MMX, I love old school turn based games. DO NOT MAKE ANY M&M GAME THAT IS REAL TIME OR HAS 'ACTION' ANYWHERE IN THE DESCRIPTION FOR FUCKS SAKE. Make another Heroes of Might and Magic game, those are also amazing. Do not make an MMO for fuck's sake, unless it's the first turn-based party-based MMO ever (as in you create your 4-man party, not as in you need to party with others). Then and only then do it, you would have to have massive balls. Bring back sci-fi aspects for Might and Magic. Integrate Ashan into the old cosmology and make new worlds. Do new and weird shit (or old and weird shit).

DemonKing

Arcane
I guess they wouldn't bother with a survey if they weren't thinking of making more M&M games so things are looking good!

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You can type as much as you want but instead of being a proper multi-line text box they only make it one line, maybe to trick you into being brief. I was not tricked.
Thanks for the tip, here's my comment:

I enjoyed MMX very much and hope to play its sequels. One complaint I have is that there are too many ambushes. I would prefer the sequels to be turn-based and grid-based like MM 1-5, but I would also buy a game in the style of MM 6-8. But I would not buy a casual game in the Might & Magic series. There are enough of those farming, trading, tower defense and card games around. Might and Magic should focus on its roots as immersive and fun turned based RPG's and strategy games. And please no HD remakes/enhanced editions. The original Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic are great for what they are. They have their own legacy (pun intended) and charm; they are highly playable even now. I appreciate all the hard work that Limbic has put in the game and realize that they couldn't make everyone happy. That being said, I think the game turned out very good and enjoyable. Also, congratulations to Julien Pirou. I know he put a lot of effort and love into making this great game.

madaosoul

Barely Literate
Yeah? Check my then:
Overall, playing MMX was a pleasurable experience, though a little bumpy one. Insufficient optimisation for 32-bit systems is in my opinion a grave shortcoming in dire need of addressing. I can't hide the fact that I was lucky enough to win your game through a contest on a fan website, otherwise I'm afraid I wouldn't have had an opportunity to play it in the nearest time, unless it became available for purchase at a discount price. In general, I'm against buying videogames at least in the first month of their launch. Not only the mere concept of paying for something, which you can't immediately own after the transaction repels me, but also it caught my attention, that long time has passed since a video game came out without number of apparent and glaring blemishes. That's why it's my policy to wait, consult various video game medias and seek the opinion of veteran players who express certain expectations, before buying the game I'm interested in. I must confess, I had huge prejudices against MMX, but in the end I found myself quite surprised, that the tile-based movement doesn't pain me as much as I anticipated it would (though I still regard it needlessly limiting and nothing will change this opinion), combat and skill system is entertainingly complex and clear at the same time and the game does a fine job upholding the glorious tradition of humouring discerning players with lots of references, easter eggs and familiar names. Last thing I wanted to write is, despite not being a fanatical fan and buyer, for me following the fate of a beloved series and any news that pertain to it, is an activity that I wholeheartedly enjoy. I sincerely hope that the Legacy continues to carry on.

Hi btw, avid M&M player here. Nice to make you aquaintance : )

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hi btw, avid M&M player here. Nice to make you aquaintance : )
Welcome to the Codex! That was an eloquent review.

One question: what did you mean by "concept of paying for something, which you can't immediately own after the transaction repels me"? If you buy a digital version, you can download the game after purchase. I do agree that physical versions are starting to become meaningless if the game requires a day one patch to be playable.

madaosoul

Barely Literate
Nah, I'm aware it was kind of incoherent in some places. And sentences shouldn't be so long. I'm not native english.

And what I meant? Why, preorders and early access editions of course. But please, don't get into my post any further. It's embarassing. :oops:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just loaded it up, haven't played the content (need to beat the OC first) but they've changed the loading screen (not sure I like it more, and this appears to be the only image)

j7OayOF.jpg

I was more interested to see if they've fixed bugs or improved the hotbar. Fast travel prices have been fixed (no longer -1 gold), but there is still just 1 hotbar with 10 slots... I was trying to champion the idea of multiple hotbars accessible via holding down CTL, SHIFT, ALT (since this wouldn't require any reworking on the GUI or new art assets) but no luck. I'm also worried about the reboot's financial success, since you can't purchase the DLC through steam (I bought the deluxe version) and have to go through uplay atm. edit: available through steam now, thanks Infinitron

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.c...x-legacy-the-falcon-the-unicorn-now-available

The time has come Adventurers!

Discover right now a whole new chapter of your quest in the Agyn Peninsula with Might & Magic X - Legacy : The Falcon & The Unicorn!

Face new enemies and explore new dungeons to solve the dark mystery that could change the fate of Ashan forever…

Available today on http://bit.ly/1dHdlli and automatically unlocked for all Deluxe Edition owners!

Concerning the Might & Magic X – Legacy Mac version, we are sorry to announce that we had to extend the testing period to secure & improve game compatibility with this platform.
We will keep you updated about this topic in the following days.

Your M&M Team.

2014.03.27%20-%20600x%20-%20MMX%20DLC%20Release.jpg

Patch note:

4.7. 1.5 version release note.

o New Content:
• The Falcon and the Unicorn DLC content:
• 7 new quests
• New exclusive dungeons:
• Fort Laegaire
• Summer Palace
• New enemies from the Haven faction
• New monster spells/abilities:
• Sun Ray - Deals Light Magic damages to all party members.
• Martyr - Passive Ability. When this monster dies, all other monsters on the same tile get the "Hour of Justice" buff.
• Celestial Armor - Adds the "Celestial Armor" buff to a single monster on the same tile. Prevents damages that would be dealt to the monster.
• Hour of Justice - Adds the "Hour of Justice" buff to a single monster on the same tile. Increases target monster's Melee and Ranged Damage Values, Magic Power and Attack Values.
• Mass Heal - Heals all monsters on the same tile.
• Pacification - Apply “Sleeping” condition to the targeted character.
• Piercing Strike - Every successful strike has a chance to ignore a part of the targeted character’s armor value. Always applied with a critical strike.
• Unstoppable Strike - Melee block attempts will always fail and the block chance value is reduced.

• New features and improvements:
• “Fast travel” system with the Obelisks. Once activated, you can enter the name of another activated Obelisk, and the party will be teleported to that corresponding Obelisk.
• Map notes are now also visible on the World map
• Spirit Beacon spell can now be used only on the Outdoor areas and in the Cities. It can’t be casted during a combat or in dungeons anymore.
• New Visual and Sound FX for Spirit Beacon spell.
• Faceless creature can now cast “Dark Nova” spell.
• Repair/Identify screen and process optimizations.
• Name of the current level/region on the top of the Area Map.
• New Two-handed weapons variations
• New Warfare Ability: Furious Blow – You perform a melee attack with a percentage of additional damages per mana point consumed.
• Save system – close the save window after successfully saving a game and print game message “Game Saved”

Plus a ton of bug fixes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom