Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Some thoughts on the DLC:

The first dungeon (Fort Laegaire) is pretty standard fare, but it's a bit more interesting than most in MMX since you get all your shit taken away and there's a pseudo-stealth sequence with the prison guards before you get to the smuggler's bay to buy some equipment. Very combat heavy and for the most part it's a faceroll, but I found myself in a bind a few times with the Inquisitors. The boss was almost impossible until I figured out that he doesn't bother approaching you until later into the battle (bug or feature?) so you can stand back and spam cyclones/ranged attacks and slowly whittle down his massive health bar. Light resistance scrolls and your usual buffs are pretty much essential or it's insta-death. Inquisitors have a v. annoying Mass Heal spell, but they seem to use it less when you're at range for some reason.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Alright so I bought this fucker despite not being a big blobber fan. If I need any help I am relying on your snarky condescension to eventually get around to answering my question.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Two hours later: Wow this shit is pretty good.

Why do I keep getting jewelry that doesn't seem to do anything? Is that just vendor trash in disguise?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Two hours later: Wow this shit is pretty good.

Why do I keep getting jewelry that doesn't seem to do anything? Is that just vendor trash in disguise?

Just like Diablo. White items vendor trash. Green items mostly that. Blue items worth inspecting. Legendaries awesome.

Post your party.

madaosoul

Barely Literate
Full Might parties are so screwed in first DLC dungeon
Hah, and I just started one. But putting that aside, my hybrid party with Archmage instead of Warden was getting wrecked quite hard : / Maybe that's because I messed up my Mages's masteries, or maybe because my party was only level 34.

Arkeus

Arcane
Just like Diablo. White items vendor trash. Green items mostly that. Blue items worth inspecting. Legendaries awesome.

Post your party.
Kinda sad that we didn't get a 'Enchant Item' spell. Prime could totally deserve it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why was I a retard and focused my freemage on fire magic when she can't max that out, huh? Why the fuck would you let me do such a thing you wankers?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Why was I a retard and focused my freemage on fire magic when she can't max that out, huh? Why the fuck would you let me do such a thing you wankers?
Only popamolers demand their games not let them screw up. But then again, you are our resident popamole expert. :troll:

Anyway, don't worry about it too much. You can easily take 4 skills to Grandmaster level, and if you have the Deluxe Edition then you've already got the DLC which adds like another 6 hours of content. IMO there are more than enough skill points to allow you to mess up a little.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Although the freemage can't achieve light magic grandmastery, it's still worth it to expert because celestial armor is such an essential spell (unless you have another character who can achieve light magic grandmastery, but even then it's good to have the freemage cast celestial armor as a back-up when the other character is unconscious/paralyzed/needs to drink a mana potion).

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Damn it, the DLC made performance worse for me. The loading times are a bit shorter, but every time I click a button in the menu I'm inexplicably made to wait about ten seconds before there's a response. Not only does it take longer to reload after death, but I have to sit through most of it instead of passing the time by doing some pushups or going to the toilet because I need to click the next button to continue the process. As opening the first door I saw in the first dungeon resulted in insta-death, I don't feel much inclined to play unless this is resolved.

Fiery Determination remains a handy guard against some of the most annoying effects throughout the whole game, so at least you'll get some use out of it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Thanks guys, nice to know you can make some mistakes and not have to start over. I chose medium armor for my crusader as well, which I now see was super dumb. Oh well.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Also, I found Fire Bolt and Fireball to be good damage-dealing spells for my freemage, since my other spellcaster is a druid, who can't learn fire magic.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Medium armor ain't bad. Grab that relic set from ubi launcher and vampire armor is good too. I only use medium armor.

If you can't GM damaging school it's not worth it. Can Expert fire for Burning Determination though.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why was I a retard and focused my freemage on fire magic when she can't max that out, huh?

Because "Kill it with fire!" has been the war cry of the RPG adventurer since time immemorial. Sure you can vary things up with the "Sorcerer's Darling", Lightning Bolt, or take advantage of the benefits of a water-based spell. But there's nothing quite like the aroma of some critter's charred corpse, or seeing bandits lit up with what we dwarves like to call Arkath's blessing.

Gozma

Arcane
Master fire is probably not any worse than GM air, even setting aside that it's cheaper; for some reason almost everything you'd like to hurt with spells in the game is resistant as hell to air.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Master fire is probably not any worse than GM air, even setting aside that it's cheaper; for some reason almost everything you'd like to hurt with spells in the game is resistant as hell to air.

My freemage is kind of a mess honestly, I'll have to make a plan with her as soon as I load up in about five minutes. I think she also can master primordial, which seemed decent. So maybe she can GM Primordial and Air, and simply master fire and the MP boosting one. That leaves extra points for some dodging, endurance and whatnot.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
for some reason almost everything you'd like to hurt with spells in the game is resistant as hell to air.
This is partly because you fight so many human foes, and in the new M&M mythology, humans are associated with Ylath, the dragon of air, so they have a natural air resistance.

Edit: yes, I realize I'm paying way too much attention to the lore than it probably deserves, but I'm a bit of a compulsive reader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom