Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Dorateen

Arcane
True. I would only caution if a number comes out about how many boxes/downloads were sold, it means nothing without knowing how much was spent on development.

jdinatale

Cipher
Hey guys, haven't really played more than a few minutes a while back when it was in early access.

1. How many hours would a first playthrough take for someone unfamiliar with unforgiving old school blobbers?

2. Is the game still getting updated in terms of bugs, optimization, etc?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Hey guys, haven't really played more than a few minutes a while back when it was in early access.

1. How many hours would a first playthrough take for someone unfamiliar with unforgiving old school blobbers?

2. Is the game still getting updated in terms of bugs, optimization, etc?
1. About 40 hours; it's not all that unforgiving although the beginning of the game is kinda difficult/
2. The last patch was on March 27 IIRC. I'm not sure if there are further patches planned but I'd guess probably. A lot of bugs from launch have been fixed at this point but the optimization is still pretty bad.

Bros any advice on party building? Classes that are mandatory, classes I should avoid? Races etc.? I'm quite a newb in dungeon crawlers, but I'd like to experience best of the game in a single playthrough if possible?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freemage (light and fire magic), Druid (earth and water magic), Barbarian (twohanded hammers) and Defender (axe and shield) worked fine for my initial run. It's not the "best" party possible (people would probably urge you to get Bladedancer with dual daggers for example), but it was versatile and effective enough to provide a fun runthrough. Views and experiences differ, though, so someone might suggest a completely different set up.

Ranged partymembers (aside from casters) were something to avoid before, but if I recall correctly there was a late patch at some point that made them more worthwhile (haven't tried, though, just hearsay).

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Bros any advice on party building? Classes that are mandatory, classes I should avoid? Races etc.? I'm quite a newb in dungeon crawlers, but I'd like to experience best of the game in a single playthrough if possible?
I'll just link this previous post. If you're into making optimal builds, you might check out the table in alkeides's post that I linked.

Ranged damage has been improved significantly, but I still don't really like it because the game uses so many ambushes. In addition, there are often cases where you're fighting multiple ranged units, but only one of your characters can fire back effectively. I find it more useful to dodge behind a corner and wait for them to approach so I can use my melee fighters.

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont know if you got it, but i received a large Q/A poll by mail from ubi, probably because i bought the uplay version. One of the many questions was are you ready to buy more of it ? So at least they are taking this seriously and it seems likely we will get an improved MMXI, if the sales were abysmal i doubt they would bother with such poll.

Thx bros! I always liked spell schools in Heroes 5, so I thought going with 4 spellcasters, to cover all schools and interesting spells, but I guess melee is the way to go.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Spellcasters are important, especially late in the game where combat boils down to "put up your buffs or die in the first turn." The rift between Might-based and Magic-based characters isn't as large as it was in say MM6, but I think some parts of the game would be exceptionally difficult with an all Might party. Above all, you want to have a solid mix.

Luzur

Good Sir
so, has the overheat thing been fixed? i havent played the game since the last crash i had, prob some 3-4 months ago.

Zeriel

Arcane
so, has the overheat thing been fixed? i havent played the game since the last crash i had, prob some 3-4 months ago.

I was binge playing it last month for 2-3 hours at a time and never had a crash or overheat.

This, depends entirely on setup. It was extremely unoptimized and running on a bad engine, but overheating was always a result of how your system reacts to 100% usage, technically no system should ever overheat on 100% usage, but a lot of stock machines do.

I did experience crashes at very specific spots, though, almost always when changing between one "slice" of the overmap and the other (say, around the river delta between Karthal and the smaller town).

Luzur

Good Sir

I was binge playing it last month for 2-3 hours at a time and never had a crash or overheat.

This, depends entirely on setup. It was extremely unoptimized and running on a bad engine, but overheating was always a result of how your system reacts to 100% usage, technically no system should ever overheat on 100% usage, but a lot of stock machines do.

I did experience crashes at very specific spots, though, almost always when changing between one "slice" of the overmap and the other (say, around the river delta between Karthal and the smaller town).

that could be because the game loads the entire new area all at once.

I've just recently loaded up the game again after about a month and a half, and I'm not too sure how many updates there have been in the meantime, but the overheating issue improved for me to the point where it actually completely stopped trying to fry the motherboard and I've got to say it's quite a bit more enjoyable to play now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I started playing MMX again after taking a couple weeks' break. Soon after entering the Vantyr Range, I fought two Elite Earth Elementals. When I defeated them, the game crashed (screen goes black; had to restart and reconfigure boot order(!)). I restarted, beat those two elementals again, explored a little more, then entered the building north of the encounter. MMX crashed again, same symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced similar crashes. The game ran perfectly for me up to now, even on high resolutions/level of detail/shadow effects. When I launched the game, UPlay made some updates, so it might be related.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've never had any issue with my graphics card up until now. I'll test some more to see if I can replicate the bug outside the Vantyr Range.

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys guys!!

I just started this game!
It's awesome!
I mean, I have no idea what the old M&M played like so I don't care to compare the games, but I'm having so much fun with this!

I never liked the Ubisoft M&M setting but it works great, the game is beautiful, runs quite smooth on my piece of shit cumpoter, doesn't crash, doesn't bug out, I'm in awe! I stayed awake till 2am and played and played.
So I have a few questions. I've been keeping myself totally spoiler clear so please if you can avoid spoilers!
1) What spell effects stack and what don't? I have Sunder Armor on my free mage and some armor sundering skill on dwarf defender or what is it and don't know if the effects stack or which one is the valid one. How do heals stack? I remember vaguely from the newest HoMaM that spells with the same effect didn't stack at all unless specifically stated in the description...?

2) I play on hard and have: Dwarf tank with 1h axes and shield, barbar damagator with mace, free mage with wind, primordial and dark magic and druid with earth, light and water
The game seems quite hard so my question is: what to avoid not to completely fuck up my builds. Are all weapons and all magic schools properly supported? as in, will it happen to me that I learn a magic school only to find out it contains 2 spells in total and find 2 1h axes throughout the whole game? I don't want a perfect build, just not a totally broken one.

3) are there any major bugs I should watch out for? I'm lvl 8 or 9 or smth, now I'm in the fort near the starting town, it has been ambushed by militia!!! OMG! But I have no potions so I gotta rest a lot.

4) What are the ways to increase my food supply? I took the goblin chef and now I can buy 9 supplies in the out of town wagon vendor, are supplies amounts dependent on vendors or on companion specialty or on some stat?

5) I really liked how I had to backtrack 2 or 3 times even from the starting quest at the lighthouse because I was getting destroyed. And after the fucking naga boss pushed me from the tower, I remembered watching a video of that a long time ago and promising to myself I'd remember, lol.

6) is there a way to display a combat grid? there's some grid opacity slider in the menu but I don't know what it does

I'm so surprised they managed to pull off the tasteless art direction of Homam 6 and made it beatiful and intriguing and gave it a charm. How long is the game? I don't want it to end, it's so much fun!! Also the engine looks like shit on screenshots but ingame it's wonderful. Even the first starting cave in the well was so beautiful I couldn't believe it, I thought I was playing some really low budget fan made shit but this looks like a very serious game, yknow?

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
1) Most same buffs/debuffs wont stack. Sunder armor only stacks with some earth based acid spell that lowers armor too.

2) You can be GM at 3 skills (4 with DLC methniks) so plan your build accordingly, don't waste your points, don't become a jack of all trades master of none. Dark magic is the least usefull and you can leave it at expert level. Get identify spell from primordial asap.

3)I played and finished before any major patches and havent encountered any major bug. There was one gamebraking at the end of first act but it has been solved I think.

4)Different inns and shops will sell you more supplies, you'll find them as you progress.

5)Avoid dangerous caves :)

6)Not that I know.

I too hate Homm6s "art" direction but it never bothered me in MMXL. It's 40-50 hours long depending on your playstyle, DLC adds 5-6 hours of content (mostly battles)

Cadmus

Arcane
1) Most same buffs/debuffs wont stack. Sunder armor only stacks with some earth based acid spell that lowers armor too.

2) You can be GM at 3 skills (4 with DLC methniks) so plan your build accordingly, don't waste your points, don't become a jack of all trades master of none. Dark magic is the least usefull and you can leave it at expert level. Get identify spell from primordial asap.

3)I played and finished before any major patches and havent encountered any major bug. There was one gamebraking at the end of first act but it has been solved I think.

4)Different inns and shops will sell you more supplies, you'll find them as you progress.

5)Avoid dangerous caves :)

6)Not that I know.

I too hate Homm6s "art" direction but it never bothered me in MMXL. It's 40-50 hours long depending on your playstyle, DLC adds 5-6 hours of content (mostly battles)
Ok, thanks! THat's much longer than I thought, great!
Any idea if the higher value buff/debuffs overwrite the lower values if cast over them?

I'm so excited about this game, I wonder if it gets shitty later but I don't think so. I only wish there were formations or something or a way to wait till the other opponent moves. I leveled some weird skills at the character creation cuz I had no idea what they did so I guess I'll just go along with it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh and I had a loremaster in party for the thieves quest and she kept discovering some hidden mechanisms in walls but I was unable to use them and all party members who tried got pwned for half HP. How does this stuff work? Will I be able to find mechanisms and secret passageways without loremaster? Is there a spell for it or something? Or is it based on Perception? I noticed some description of a hidden passage that indicated I need lots of strength to break the wall and I used my dwarf and it worked but for some of the mechanisms nobody could succeed and I couldn't decipher what attributes are required... ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom