Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been using uPlay since the beginning. And yes, initially it was a broken PoS. But for years now it's been just another launcher, no better or worse than Steam. I really don't get this pro-Steam/anti-everything-else attitude. Last I checked uPlay, Origin and Galaxy are standard launchers, completely bugless and functional. If anything they're easier to navigate and use and much less cluttered. Plus if you buy through GoG or uPlay you'll get games cheaper, due to their cashback (GoG) and uPlay points (Ubi) policy.

Efe

Erudite
i personally like gogs service the most but steam has regional pricing. gog at %50 discount is nowhere near steams full price.
i remember uplay with homam 6, it was trying to upload saves but the service was so slow it would take 15 minutes. crash at least once every play session and lose saves time to time.
i wish they made it more like mandate of heaven since there wont be any sequels coming.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One DRM launcher is enough - I'm not exactly pro-steam either, but I prefer it to the competition (uPlay/Origin) as it 1) actually works 2) Valve contributes a lot to the overarching community with code, libraries, and other things, 3) they're not half as anti-consumer (aren't Ubisoft and EA still forcing always online crap?) 4) they officially support Linux.

Gog isn't even in the same ballgame, not only is their store entirely DRM free, their launcher is entirely optional.
It's more of a pig than steam is, but all of it is niceties, conveniences, and extras, and you're not forced to use it if you don't want to.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Makes me wonder when this game gonna be released on GOG. AFAIK the most modern Ubisoft game released on GOG is Rayman Origins (2012).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I want them to release Rayman Legends on GOG in addition to MMX, but people in hell also want ice water.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well i have the boxed version thanks for being part of the VIP team, so last time i installed the game i installed my game and added a crack to it so i dont have to be online all the time for some DRM.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All those MM fans who swore on their lives to never buy the game from uPlay or from Steam or with any DRM attached or coz it's an Ubi game or coz it was shabbat or it was raining that day or because they just don't respect money and capitalism mangh, gratz, you've stood up for your stronk moral feelz and punished all the eevul DRM stuff and big corporaishuns. A great RPG went down in flames, a solid dev team with it and we'll likely never get another MM game ever. But it was worth it.

Luzur

Good Sir
All those MM fans who swore on their lives to never buy the game from uPlay or from Steam or with any DRM attached or coz it's an Ubi game or coz it was shabbat or it was raining that day or because they just don't respect money and capitalism mangh, gratz, you've stood up for your stronk moral feelz and punished all the eevul DRM stuff and big corporaishuns. A great RPG went down in flames, a solid dev team with it and we'll likely never get another MM game ever. But it was worth it.

main problem i saw with the whole deal was Ubisoft, being too scared to take a chance. Better to keep pumping out Assassins Creed's every year, safer that way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MMX wasn't like a Bard's Tale IV-level flop. There was no Steamspy yet when it was released, but it appeared to have sold in the vicinity of 100k-200k copies. Ubisoft seem to have expected Grimrock 1-level sales at more than twice the price.

I loved MMX. Been awhile since I just blazed through a 45+ hr game like that enjoying every second. They should have launched on Steam at aggressive pricing. Uplay was hot garbage at that time (still is?) and probably drove a lot of people off. I probably would never have even bought the game had I known it was Uplay beforehand, and I know a lot of people at the time ended up pirating it cause the platform was almost prohibitive to playing the damn game in the first place. Should also mention that journalists didn't really get behind the game at all compared to the pageant queen that was Grimrock.

Yes, their PR was terrible. It was noted at the time. This was Ubisoft and somehow they completely failed to do outreach. Mainstream game journalists seemed to have no idea what they were doing or why they should care. You shouldn't need a big budget for this - the various Kickstarter devs have managed it just fine.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
MMX didn't flop because of self-righteousness and anti-capitalistic sentiments, that's absurd.

Shabbat, rain and anti-capitalist sentiments were obviously just a joke. But I've seen countless threads and comments like "Ubi? No sale", "looked forward to this but no uPlay for me", "I'm a MM fan but I'll only buy this on GoG", "love MM but no support for DRM, I just pirated it". And on and on and on and on this goes. Plus now this Pirault dude mentioning the high piracy rate.

Nah brah, this game didn't flop because it was a gameplay disaster. It flopped for two reasons - coz it wasn't very polished on launch and coz a lot of MM fans acted like triggered drama queen hipsters and decided to "punish" the game for being released by Ubisoft on a non-Steam platform.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Maybe they are right about shying away from buying from Ubisoft, I have a friend who has been burned by having a legitimate copy and ended up having to pirate the game he owns. Anti-consumer really is the right word to use in regards to them. When pirating a game gives a better (technical) experience, maybe you should think about how shitty your DRM practices are. Besides, in a perfect capitalist environment, the consumer holds all the cards by choosing who to support, you can't blame people for exercising that right. Maybe the game partially flopped because people chose not to buy it from Ubi, but the problem is Ubi took the wrong message from that. They thought nobody is interested in this type of game, rather than how terrible their attitude towards their customers is. I don't know the numbers, however, so this is pure speculation. They also had too high expectations, Legend of Grimrock was an exception, proven by the comparatively abysmal sales of 2.

Luzur

Good Sir
MMX wasn't like a Bard's Tale IV-level fop. There was no Steamspy yet when it was released, but it appeared to have sold in the vicinity of 100k-200k copies. Ubisoft seem to have expected Grimrock 1-level sales at more than twice the price.

I loved MMX. Been awhile since I just blazed through a 45+ hr game like that enjoying every second. They should have launched on Steam at aggressive pricing. Uplay was hot garbage at that time (still is?) and probably drove a lot of people off. I probably would never have even bought the game had I known it was Uplay beforehand, and I know a lot of people at the time ended up pirating it cause the platform was almost prohibitive to playing the damn game in the first place. Should also mention that journalists didn't really get behind the game at all compared to the pageant queen that was Grimrock.

Yes, their PR was terrible. It was noted at the time. This was Ubisoft and somehow they completely failed to do outreach. Mainstream game journalists seemed to have no idea what they were doing or why they should care. You shouldn't need a big budget for this - the various Kickstarter devs have managed it just fine.

From what i remember from the talk at the VIP forums, appearently Ubisoft had set a "game must sell this much before we fund anything more" limit on the MM team, which it failed to meet.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Maybe they are right about shying away from buying from Ubisoft, I have a friend who has been burned by having a legitimate copy and ended up having to pirate the game he owns. Anti-consumer really is the right word to use in regards to them. When pirating a game gives a better (technical) experience, maybe you should think about how shitty your DRM practices are. Besides, in a perfect capitalist environment, the consumer holds all the cards by choosing who to support, you can't blame people for exercising that right. Maybe the game partially flopped because people chose not to buy it from Ubi, but the problem is Ubi took the wrong message from that. They thought nobody is interested in this type of game, rather than how terrible their attitude towards their customers is. I don't know the numbers, however, so this is pure speculation. They also had too high expectations, Legend of Grimrock was an exception, proven by the comparatively abysmal sales of 2.

Makes me think about all these shitty anti-piracy spots you couldn't even skip when watching a DVD you bought / rented.
First, it introduces you with the thought of pirating movies.

After dozen of these you're just more and more drawn to piracy because you can't hit the moron that inflicted these anti-piracy spots in the face so the next best thing is to target his wallet.

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
From what i remember from the talk at the VIP forums, appearently Ubisoft had set a "game must sell this much before we fund anything more" limit on the MM team, which it failed to meet.

That's how game development works at virtually every company. They set an internal expectation for the game, if it meets or exceeds it then it's a success. Successful games tend to get sequels.

How they come up with the number is a different matter. Richard Garriott says that when pitching Ultima Online, EA set an expectation of 60k copies because the most that any other similar online game had ever sold up to that point was 30k so they thought if they double that it would be a success. Game ended up selling hundreds of thousands of copies. But generally the number is based on budget and time spent on the product.

Kliwer

Savant
Hello everyone.

I have just bought this game and I’m going to plan my first party (warrior difficulty, I’m cRPG and M&M veteran player). I’m not looking for power-gaming group, just for something fun and diverse. I have two, very similar, conceptions. Which one is batter and why? What can I improve (but only slightly, I like the general idea)?

What’s about stats distribution? I have no idea for now, hard to judge without game experience.

(“+” = here I will add extra skill points)

Party nr 1 (some ranged abilities)

-Scout (dwarf): Crossbow GM (25), Axe GM (25), Dual Wield M (15), Medium Armor E (7), Endurance E (7+), Fire Magic E (7)// Primary stats: Might, Perception

-Crusader (human): Sword GM (25), Light Magic GM (25), Shield M (15), Heavy Armor E (7), Arcane Discipline E (7+), Warfare E (7), Crossbow B (1)// Primary stats: Might, Magic, Spirit

-Barbarian (orc): Mace GM (25), Two-Handed GM (25), Warfare M (15), Endurance M (15+), Medium Armor E (7), Bow B (1)// Primary stats: Might, Vitality

-Druid (elf): Water Magic GM (25), Primordial Magic GM (25), Earth Magic M (15), Air Magic E (7), Magic Focus E (7), Dodge E (7), Bow B (1) // Primary stats: Magic, Spirit

Party nr 2 (no ranged abilities, no dual-wielding; I heard Defender is week, but I like dwarf-warriors)

-Defender (dwarf): Axe GM (25), Warfare GM (25), Shield M (15), Endurance E (7+), Medium Armor E (7), Fire Magic E (7)// Primary stats: Might, Vitality

-Crusader (human): Sword GM (25), Light Magic GM (25), Shield M (15), Heavy Armor M (15), Arcane Discipline E (7+)// Primary stats: Might, Magic, Spirit

-Hunter (orc): Spear GM (25), Dodge GM (25), Two-Handed M (15), Warfare E (7), Medium Armor E (7+), Air Magic E (7)// Primary stats: Might, Perception, Destiny

-Druid (elf): Water Magic GM (25), Primordial Magic GM (25), Earth Magic M (15), Magic Focus E (7), Mysticism E (7+), Dodge E (7)// Primary stats: Might, Spirit

Thank You for Your time and advice.

Barbalos

Savant
I have just bought this game and I’m going to plan my first party (warrior difficulty, I’m cRPG and M&M veteran player). I’m not looking for power-gaming group, just for something fun and diverse. I have two, very similar, conceptions. Which one is batter and why? What can I improve (but only slightly, I like the general idea)?

Personally I like more magic myself, I found it interesting and fun to use. With this party you're missing high level Air, Dark, Fire. Also the Defender/Scout + Crusader doesn't make a ton of sense to me, especially Defender and Crusader; two tanks and trying to use the Crusader as a mage isn't very efficient. Also, you'll generally want a bit of perception with any melee class. Otherwise you'll miss a LOT. You'd likely find this out as you go and adjust though so it's not a big deal.

I would take the Scout or Defender out and add a freemage, myself. But if you're willing to learn how the game works it's not too hard even on Warrior. I think heavy physical parties are really strong towards the end too, so if you can make it there you'll likely be pretty beastly. I have a party (on Warrior) close to the end of the game with Hunter - Rune Priest - Druid - Free Mage, and the Hunter hits absurdly hard at this point. It's a very strong party, though it is not my first play through.

Have fun with the game, I had a lot.

edit: sorry, missed a question. I would say Party # 1 is better of the two.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This, but unironically. You reap what you saw. Applies both to gamers who boycotted the game and the publishers who forced always online DRM.

P.S. the team could have gone indie and asked money via crowdfunding. If there was no sufficient interest even then, they could close the doors themselves without any doubts or guilt.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's not too hard of a game so you could probably play whatever and be able to finish it, as long as you have some magical defense/healing.

From what I remember magic helps you a lot on early stages but it is a bit disappointing later on, you have to keep chugging mana potions every couple of heavy spells while your melee dudes just destroy everything each turn.

I went with a very similar party to your first one, I think I just swapped the crusader with a freemage, so I would probably go with that one.

Tigranes

Arcane
Kliwer

As others have said: game isn't that hard so you should feel OK with rolling your parties blind.

Generally, people would have a freemage in there to make it easier for the party to have coverage in the magic schools (GM in all schools isn't required of course). I would say magic is nice not so much for the power, but for the utility. Later game you have to make sure your party is tough enough to take a lot of punishment if you don't have at least one of Air, Water or Light for the various damage cancelling / healing abilities, for example.

Ranged similarly serves a utility role to soften up and take down some of your enemies - mostly useful early to mid game when you're more likely to be in the wilderness able to time your grid movements to get some clear shots and so forth. It's not necessary at all if you don't fancy it.

Dwarves are cool and I don't remember Defenders being super bad.

Bladedancer is the #1 damage-dealing class by a country mile.

Have fun!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Freemage is the only one which gives you access to Dark as well. Rune Priest is also good to have.

Cadmus

Arcane
I would suggest you focus on damage instead of defense. Defense makes the fights later incredibly slow.

Secondly, the expansion is undoable without some heals and ressurect spells if I remember correctly. That one is really difficult.

I think its a great game, have fun

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I've heard this game has some tech problems. Anyone running this on win10?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom