Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Arkeus

Arcane
It seems a lot of people think that you get Magical Foci for the damages they do on grandmasters, but you don't. You take it because you can get something like +20~flat crit chance and +60~ crit damage with it to GM.

This means that you can easily have something like 35%crit chance with your guy, and so reliably crit whenever you do a AOE spell.

Crusader is fucking amazing. Swap the Scout for a Bladedancer if you want a melee heavy hitter, ranged weapons aren't really worth it in this game.

Twinking is for pussies, dwarves are great. I don't need a State of the Art Insane (tm) team, just making sure I'm not gimping myself. Sent you a PM bruv :)

Ranged is gimping yourself. There's very few instances in which you will want to engage an enemy in ranged combat and in 90% of dungeon fights you won't even have the option. And Ranged suffers an unremovable -50% damage in melee.

Are there any expert/master level utility or must-have spells, that require you to put skill points into magic skills you otherwise wouldn't use? Like having to get water and air to master level in MM7, to get fly and town portal.

Expert Primordial for Identify is pretty crucial. Earth Magic for regeneration and cure poison. Otherwise nothing that I would truly consider "must have". But at the same time I'd say that overloading on Magic and taking at least 2 full casters if not 3 or 2 full + 1 half is highly advisable, each magic school has answers for every problem while warrior skills kind of suck because the aggro mechanic sucks.

I'd say that all of the Magic schools have nice stuff worth GMing (for either great top-level spells or low-levels good enough to want max power out of) except for Primordial/Water, which don't seem to have great GM spells and their lower-level spells are utility that don't need more power.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Crusader is fucking amazing. Swap the Scout for a Bladedancer if you want a melee heavy hitter, ranged weapons aren't really worth it in this game.

Twinking is for pussies, dwarves are great. I don't need a State of the Art Insane (tm) team, just making sure I'm not gimping myself. Sent you a PM bruv :)

Ranged is gimping yourself. There's very few instances in which you will want to engage an enemy in ranged combat and in 90% of dungeon fights you won't even have the option. And Ranged suffers an unremovable -50% damage in melee.

Scout has Grandmaster Axe and Master Dual Wield. Shouldn't that be fine for melee?

aris

Arcane
Anyone have the solution for "what is its name" in the tomb of horrors on the lever? I tried despair, seeing the three books by the side, but it didn't work.

aris

Arcane
Do I gimp myself if I go two-handed mace on my Orc Shaman instead of Magical Focus?
It depends on how much you're going to invest in perception. If you use magical focus, you always hit, but if you use a mace and never increase your perception, you are eventually never going to hit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do I gimp myself if I go two-handed mace on my Orc Shaman instead of Magical Focus?
It depends on how much you're going to invest in perception. If you use magical focus, you always hit, but if you use a mace and never increase your perception, you are eventually never going to hit.

My worry isn't so much that. My worry is that the Magical Focus will be downright necessary for casters lategame to have damage output. I mean, shammy is GM in three magic schools.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

My worry isn't so much that. My worry is that the Magical Focus will be downright necessary for casters lategame to have damage output. I mean, shammy is GM in three magic schools.
I GM'd earth and water magic and ignored magical focus and my Shaman still does like 100+ damage per turn.

April

Educated
Dark magic also has the only offensive dispel, that makes some otherwise annoying foes into pushovers.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Anyone have the solution for "what is its name" in the tomb of horrors on the lever? I tried despair, seeing the three books by the side, but it didn't work.

It's Erebos

Every sentence on the stones contains a hint/riddle:
life closes with "E"
first sign of rage is "R"
Peace ends with "E"
Battle start with "B"
Drawn a circle you'll get an "O"
Shadow born with "S"

Branm

Learned
Dark magic is practically mandatory because Purge. Not sure how you'd be able to take down Elite Earth Elementals without it.

Just hit them hard enough and do enough dmg o. Maybe I went to these gusy late but I didnt find purge until after I got the promotion for my Blademaster so most all elite earth elementals were killed without purge. Then again I did go to the Crag very early so I had some good daggers at that stage!!

Scout has Grandmaster Axe and Master Dual Wield. Shouldn't that be fine for melee?

There is a limited amount of Experience, which translates into a fairly limited number of skill points. Going for both melee and ranged will leave you way below par in both. Going for Ranged alone sucks because it's Ranged, and why go Melee on a Scout when any Melee-focused class will do it better?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I GM'd earth and water magic and ignored magical focus and my Shaman still does like 100+ damage per turn.

cool mang

Ach. So many decisions. So this looks alright for y'all?:

(names not final obv)

Dark magic is practically mandatory because Purge. Not sure how you'd be able to take down Elite Earth Elementals without it.

Scrolls? I mean, I doubt they designed a game that can't be completed without a Freemage specifically ;)

There is a limited amount of Experience, which translates into a fairly limited number of skill points. Going for both melee and ranged will leave you way below par in both. Going for Ranged alone sucks because it's Ranged, and why go Melee on a Scout when any Melee-focused class will do it better?

Skill points are that limited? The alternative for GM axe is defender, and that looks... ugh.

aris

Arcane
Magic focus does increase your crit chance with spell to quite a significant degree though. Especially if you GM it.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
There are enough skillpoints in this game to GM probably three skills per character. Not really an issue. In general, primarily focus on skills you can GM obviously, everything else is supplementary.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There are enough skillpoints in this game to GM probably three skills per character. Not really an issue.

That's still quite a small number if all ranged ends up being is a tiny bit of damage before the melee exchange. HUUUUURRRRRRRM

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
There are enough skillpoints in this game to GM probably three skills per character. Not really an issue.

That's still quite a small number if all ranged ends up being is a tiny bit of damage before the melee exchange. HUUUUURRRRRRRM
There a couple boss encounters in which ranged weapons would be pretty useful because otherwise you have to sit there and take it while you charge to melee, but that's nothing that can't be mitigated with Celestial Armor.

Skill points are that limited? The alternative for GM axe is defender, and that looks... ugh.

End game level is low 30s, with 3 skill points a level. Expect to GM 3 skills with some left for utility. If you GM Axe and Crossbow and Master Dual Wield, you'll have slim pickings among Warfare/Armor/Endurance until the very end game, and don't try to branch into the magic for utility.

You *can* do it, but ranged is so godawful that it's a massive waste of skill points. I'd recommend Bladedancer unless you have an allergy to elves/daggers.

There a couple boss encounters in which ranged weapons would be pretty useful because otherwise you have to sit there and take it while you charge to melee, but that's nothing that can't be mitigated with Celestial Armor.

If you shoot with your ranged attacker then you can't move for the turn. So if you aren't charging into melee then your ranger needs to solo the boss on their own while the rest of your party sits there. Good f**king luck. At best ranged can provide a very minimal amount of damage before a melee enemy charges in, but half the time that melee doesn't spawn next to you you'll have ranged enemies as well which you want to hide around a corner from.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

End game level is ~30, with 3 skill points a level. Expect to GM 3 skills with some left for utility. If you GM Axe and Crossbow and Master Dual Wield, you'll have slim pickings among Warfare/Armor/Endurance until the very end game, and don't try to branch into the magic for utility.

You *can* do it, but ranged is so godawful that it's a massive waste of skill points.

Sucks. Basically only Scout can dual wield axes for great justice. And not doing ranged weapons at all means the advanced class is useless.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

End game level is low 30s, with 3 skill points a level. Expect to GM 3 skills with some left for utility. If you GM Axe and Crossbow and Master Dual Wield, you'll have slim pickings among Warfare/Armor/Endurance until the very end game, and don't try to branch into the magic for utility.

You *can* do it, but ranged is so godawful that it's a massive waste of skill points. I'd recommend Bladedancer unless you have an allergy to elves/daggers.

If you shoot with your ranged attacker then you can't move for the turn. So if you aren't charging into melee then your ranger needs to solo the boss on their own while the rest of your party sits there. Good f**king luck. At best ranged can provide a very minimal amount of damage before a melee enemy charges in, but half the time that melee doesn't spawn next to you you'll have ranged enemies as well which you want to hide around a corner from.
Spellcasters have ranged attacks as well. Plus, you could always do a party of all Rangers. :troll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Google told me it's not a bug but a quest to promote Crusader to Paladin. And since I don't have Crusader the final quest trigger is missing.
No Honorary Crusader? :decline:

Also, Zeriel kept saying that the Two-Handed Weapon skill didn't function with Spear... so what exactly does Two-Handed Weapon do? Are there two-handed maces? Just seems weird for the rune-priest to have the two-handed skill if that's not how it works.
There are plenty of 2-handed maces, and they're awesome, but I thought you needed 2-handed skill for spears as well? Unless all spears are 2-handed and you don't, I never noticed. Anyway I do use 2-handed maces on my Barb, and the stun has been a life-saver several times (and when it's not, it just makes the fight a LOT easier. Even one stun per fight is enough to greatly simplify some encounters). However, I don't recommend going this way with the Runepriest, I think he's better off using Magical Foci, either 2-handed at expert, or dual-wielding them at Master. Do note that, if you want to dual-wield or use 2-handed foci, you do NOT need the dual-wield or 2-handed skills - it's all handled by the Foci skill itself.

Crusader with heavy armor, sword, shield
Scout with medium armor, axe, dual wield
Runepriest with medium armor, mace, shield
Shaman with medium armor, spear, two-handed
Scout might work, but as with Ranger you need to forget that they're jack of all trades and actually focus on making them excel at a particular role. Generally the game doesn't reward jacktrading at all.

Pretty bullshit that you some starting skills are forced by the way, Runepriest shield skill is useless with that build.
As I said earlier runepriest shouldn't be using shields at all, so no matter what you do that skill is useless for him. Waste of a skill point, but eh.

Also this might be too late because others have already answered you. Damn this thread moves fast.

All spears are two-handed and count for the two-handed skill group.

Have you tried dual-wielding maces for more crit chances? Would seem far superior, almost guaranteed stuns at high levels.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Grunker at least in the beginning I would put more points into Spirit than into Magic for your casters. The spells are quite powerful out of the box but Mana is burned quickly and Resting/Potions can cost a lot of money in the early game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom