Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Resting is really, really cheap. Like 10 or 20g apiece? Almost nothing for a full restore of health and mana. Wouldn't boost it that much, you'll find item-boosters later. With only a moderate investment into mana you'll probably not need to buy mana potions at all with how often they drop, and I don't think I've ever used a health potion.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I'm assuming we are all talking about Warrior difficulty here?!
Perhaps it comes down to my unoptimized party but I had to make extensive use of potions throughout fights against bosses and bigger groups of enemies.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I will not be playing in an optimized manner, so small details like exact attribute point cost distribution doesn't worry me that much. I just don't want awkward stuff like giving Mace to my Shaman and end up never ever using it or something.

Sceptic, Broseph, Average Manatee:

How aboooout:

Crusader: plan to GM Sword, GM Heavy, GM Light, Master Shield, Master Endurance

Runepriest: plan to GM Magical Focus (dual wield or whatever), GM Fire, GM Earth, Master Mysticism, Master Prime

Shaman: plan to GM Water, GM Air, GM... Arcane Discipline???, Master Mace, Master Two-Handed

That leaves me one slot... I would like to dual wield axes. That means I go Scout (GM Axe, Medium and Endurance) and have two completely useless Advanced Class abilities, or I go Mercenary (GM Warfare, Medium, Dodge). Sound doable?

sser

Arcane
Developer
My Scout is one of my favorite heroes, for what it's worth. He gets the best debuff protection spell in the game + fire shield. GM Axes + Dual Wield hits like a truck. I had enough points left over to throw in an Expert Crossbow just for the hell of it. This is all with pretty spread out attributes. I think a pure might Scout could do a ton of damage...

Don't fret over the specialties. They're all pretty hit or miss.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The idea about foci applies to shaman equally. Point is it makes more sense for casters to be using them rather than regular weapons, especially since higher-level foci tend to have +skill for magic skills and the high crit chance is great for spells. If you absolutely want someone with maces then it doesn't really matter if you give it to your runepriest or shaman (since they both go to master). I think either Scout or Merc could work for 4th slot, though if you really really want dem axes then Scout might make more sense since he can GM them. You could still max out his Dodge and Warfare to Master, especially Warfare will give you some nice abilities, once you have GMed everything else.

sser posted while I was writing and I think I agree with his assessment of scout.

Arkeus

Arcane
I will not be playing in an optimized manner, so small details like exact attribute point cost distribution doesn't worry me that much. I just don't want awkward stuff like giving Mace to my Shaman and end up never ever using it or something.

How aboooout:

Sounds good, but you should decide if you want to give him a lot of might for damage or a lot of spirit/magic for better heals/celestial armors.

Runepriest: plan to GM Magical Focus (dual wield or whatever), GM Fire, GM Earth, Master Mysticism, Master Prime
Good, though against you should have priority between the different fields.

Shaman: plan to GM Water, GM Air, GM... Arcane Discipline???, Master Mace, Master Two-Handed
I really feel like Master Mace/Two handed is a bad idea because you don't get the +%crit chance a Magical Foci at master would get (you get +0.8% crit chance per level with a foci equipped) if you are a offensive caster.

However, if you plan for the shaman to be the healer/buffer that can work. The problem is that you want to GM Air and Air is one of the best damage school, so...

That leaves me one slot... I would like to dual wield axes. That means I go Scout (GM Axe, Medium and Endurance) and have two completely useless Advanced Class abilities, or I go Mercenary (GM Warfare, Medium, Dodge). Sound doable?
I have not played either of those classes at all, but i think mercenaries possibly work better with shields than dual-wieldings, so i would go scout i guess... not sure, maybe Mercenaries are good at dual wielding.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks peeps! :love:

Arkeus said:
Sounds good, but you should decide if you want to give him a lot of might for damage or a lot of spirit/magic for better heals/celestial armors.

I'm thinking Magic/Spirit, since the rest of the team should be able to dish out heavy damage. More worried about surviving than damage currently.

Arkeus said:
Good, though again you should have priority between the different fields.

Yeah, I'm thinking Runepriest will damage and buff primarily.

Arkeus said:
I really feel like Master Mace/Two handed is a bad idea because you don't get the +%crit chance a Magical Foci at master would get (you get +0.8% crit chance per level with a foci equipped) if you are a offensive caster.

However, if you plan for the shaman to be the healer/buffer that can work. The problem is that you want to GM Air and Air is one of the best damage school, so...

Sounds like it doesn't pay off at all to go anything but magical focus, so that'll probably end up being my choice.

GM Earth instead of Air. It's a far more useful school IMO.

I already have GM Earth on the Runepriest though!

aris

Arcane
Ok, I'm on my last quest on the main quest line now, I'm supposed to embark on "the revenge" in The Crag, but I can't figure out where the hell it is. Where is it?

EDIT: Never mind, finally figured out that I had to talk to Ameyro.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I'm thinking Magic/Spirit, since the rest of the team should be able to dish out heavy damage. More worried about surviving than damage currently.
Yeah, I'm thinking Runepriest will damage and buff primarily.
I think you have some good synergy going between your casters, having each one focus on different skills and pumping their Magic/Spirit seems like a good choice. Do not forget about Mysticism on either of them though - I ignored it at first, since I only tend to max it out in late game in MM6-8 and regretted it. It's a VERY good skill to pump points into early on, as it'll save you having to chug potions mid-fight all the time.

Heh, because of my party setup I never really ended up using Air, Water or Fire, and kinda regret it now considering Water and Air seem to have such good spells. I deifnitely gimped myself a LOT in this playthrough.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How long is act 4 (the Tomb of Thousand Terrors and what ever comes next) approximately? I'd like to start wrapping up my first run because there seems to be absolutely no challenge left for a level 28 party, but it'd feel false to quit without finishing at this point.

Eyeball

Arcane
Oh, sweet Jesus, that password in Skull Rock - I actually managed to guess it on my second try with no clues to it. I then facepalmed so hard I broke my nose.

If you don't have a really corny sense of humour, is there a way to find the password without Lucky guessing it? I can't recall anybody giving me any hints towards it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, another note on perception, because enemies dont scale to your level and their stats are pretty much set in stone it seems you can get away without pumping too much perception, 20-25 should be fine to hit all most of the time against anything, maybe miss a bit against naturally agile opponents but thats it.
Entering the lost city now.

Arkeus

Arcane
Oh, sweet Jesus, that password in Skull Rock - I actually managed to guess it on my second try with no clues to it. I then facepalmed so hard I broke my nose.

If you don't have a really corny sense of humour, is there a way to find the password without Lucky guessing it? I can't recall anybody giving me any hints towards it.
I am actually right at this point, and i have no clue what the password is :(

You need to go to Skull Rock for the main quest eventually, the NPC near the shipwreck tells you the password.

Eyeball

Arcane
Indeed? I just went there to find the naga guy's missing sword which, I assume, is inside. Didn't know there was more to it than a sidequest.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The annoying part is if you've gotten the Blackfang Chest from there before you need it for the plot you still have to go back so the game registers that you completed the objective.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
An ultimately positive review from RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/29/might-and-magic-x-review/

I’m so glad I persevered, because I would be won over, in the manner of discovering that a man whose opening conversational gambit was about the rising price of loft insulation would turn out to be an astronaut. M&M gets good. Really good. It has a great many problems, especially on the presentation front (to the degree that its major USP, being a spangly modern reworking of M&Ms past, becomes almost irrelevant – consciously lo-fi might have been a better approach than this makeshift one. I talk as much of dialogue/speech as I do graphics there), but a rugged and hardcore charm shines through.

It’s a dense and broad game, opening up enormously after its miserably ringfenced beginning, and while its total landmass has nothing on your average Elder Dragon Craft, the combo of step-by-step movement and careful placing of high-threat enemies as beatable but extremely fearsome gatekeepers makes it feel much larger than it is.

[...] And, like so many of the best RPGs, I feel like someone carving my own quiet destiny rather than some hulking hero with the fate of the world resting on his battle-scarred and probably rather sweaty shoulders. Nothing especially uncommon in any of that, but it all pulls together well, and in way that’s much more true to the cautious, exploratory routes of Dungeons and Dragons than the breathless, kill-crazed mania of roleplaying’s latter-day descendants.

It also has D&D’s edge of unfairness, occasionally unleashing long queues of monsters in a wearying onslaught that all the health and mana potions in the world couldn’t have prepared me for. Part of me wants to cry “that’s rubbish design!”, but the other wants to boast “ah, yes, but I actually managed to survive that time three goblins popped out in front of me, two shaman behind me, two Jaguar Warriors from the left and then four more goblins from God knows where after all that. I. Am. Amazing!” Which, I suspect, makes it good design.​

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, another note on perception, because enemies dont scale to your level and their stats are pretty much set in stone it seems you can get away without pumping too much perception, 20-25 should be fine to hit all most of the time against anything, maybe miss a bit against naturally agile opponents but thats it.

Almost at the and and confirmed.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The annoying part is if you've gotten the Blackfang Chest from there before you need it for the plot you still have to go back so the game registers that you completed the objective.
both back to the ship and back to skull rock, actually. it's fucking stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An ultimately positive review from RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/29/might-and-magic-x-review/

I’m so glad I persevered, because I would be won over, in the manner of discovering that a man whose opening conversational gambit was about the rising price of loft insulation would turn out to be an astronaut. M&M gets good. Really good. It has a great many problems, especially on the presentation front (to the degree that its major USP, being a spangly modern reworking of M&Ms past, becomes almost irrelevant – consciously lo-fi might have been a better approach than this makeshift one. I talk as much of dialogue/speech as I do graphics there), but a rugged and hardcore charm shines through.

It’s a dense and broad game, opening up enormously after its miserably ringfenced beginning, and while its total landmass has nothing on your average Elder Dragon Craft, the combo of step-by-step movement and careful placing of high-threat enemies as beatable but extremely fearsome gatekeepers makes it feel much larger than it is.

[...] And, like so many of the best RPGs, I feel like someone carving my own quiet destiny rather than some hulking hero with the fate of the world resting on his battle-scarred and probably rather sweaty shoulders. Nothing especially uncommon in any of that, but it all pulls together well, and in way that’s much more true to the cautious, exploratory routes of Dungeons and Dragons than the breathless, kill-crazed mania of roleplaying’s latter-day descendants.

It also has D&D’s edge of unfairness, occasionally unleashing long queues of monsters in a wearying onslaught that all the health and mana potions in the world couldn’t have prepared me for. Part of me wants to cry “that’s rubbish design!”, but the other wants to boast “ah, yes, but I actually managed to survive that time three goblins popped out in front of me, two shaman behind me, two Jaguar Warriors from the left and then four more goblins from God knows where after all that. I. Am. Amazing!” Which, I suspect, makes it good design.​

Check out my comment...and the one under it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/29/might-and-magic-x-review/#comment-1453583 :lol:

This game has attracted such a hilarious hatedom.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
This review is proof that even the utterly retarded can enjoy MMX. I mean his dislike of the early game is because he couldn't understand the intro cinematic (wat), the step by step movement is a "shock to the system" (lol) oh and it reminds him of World of Warcraft as the pinnacle of exploration (r00fles). I'm not entirely surprised since it's a Meer article.

On the other hand, the comment just below Infinitron's is solid gold.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

How aboooout:

Don't do the mistake of having non-foci weapon skills on a caster, it's a waste. With two GM spell schools, there are certainly far better things to do on a turn than a pitiful melee attack. If I could take the points from spear and put them on endurance, my shaman would be much better off.

Also Keep in mind Earth is very support oriented...so your Runepriest will spend a lot of time healing and buffing which is kinda counter productive for somebody who GMs fire.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Keep in mind Earth is very support oriented...so your Runepriest will spend a lot of time healing which is kinda counter productive for somebody who GMs fire.
Well you only cast Regeneration once every 3 rounds, so that gives you 2 rounds to dick around doing other things (like spamming Fire spells).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom