Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm surprised at the Metascore
Only 71/100 from the "official" critics and accidentally also 7.1/10 from the Users.

For comparison, Banner Saga is at 82/100 | 8.1/10 and Blackguards is at 69/100 | 7.8/10

I personally rank MMX :5/5:. Seriously the best release of the year so far for me.
Games are rated on technical grounds more than fun these days.

doggfookker

Educated
This game is the shit. Holy fuck it does not have the right to be as good as it is.

But what the shit man, where the fuck are the space ships and lasers?

Gozma

Arcane
I'm surprised at the Metascore
Only 71/100 from the "official" critics and accidentally also 7.1/10 from the Users.

For comparison, Banner Saga is at 82/100 | 8.1/10 and Blackguards is at 69/100 | 7.8/10

I personally rank MMX :5/5:. Seriously the best release of the year so far for me.
Games are rated on technical grounds more than fun these days.

More like technical grounds are the pretense used to reduce scores on games that didn't have a full bore marketing push

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Codex in 11 months: "Who would have thought that Banner Saga would turn out to be the best RPG of 2014?"

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, better or worse than the old M&M's? Heard some pretty damning opinions from people who love old dungeon delvers. Mostly because it feels more soulless than the old games.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
So, better or worse than the old M&M's? Heard some pretty damning opinions from people who love old dungeon delvers. Mostly because it feels more soulless than the old games.
Better than 8 and 9, maybe 7 too. Inferior to the rest. Still a great game though.

Mortmal

Arcane

Everyone will agree its better than 8 and 9 , but not as good as previous ones , theres also a nostalgia part into that probably . If you have nothing else to play and you are bored its good enough just pick the recommended classes in the thread else it will lose a lot of its fun.If you are patient wait for the inevitable steam sale soon. Half the thread is zeriel cvv and broseph defending the gameit is the best thing since arcanum, for others its meh to ok, so its probably between that.

Eyeball

Arcane
Finished the game.

My party was a hunter, crusader, rune priest and bladedancer and I hit level 31-32 at the end. End bossfight was quite nice - frankly, the mid- to endgame balance is a bit borked, at some point pretty much nothing is that threatening to you anymore, meaning that a lot of the fights became a matter of clicking "1" repeatedly while dozing off. Last fight was pretty tough, though, with a lot of poison-curing required and trying to avoid getting blindsided by the boss.

And I just LOVE the Fallout-y ending slides detailing what happened to the NPCs based on your actions in their questlines. It was pretty crude, as the game features nowhere near the amount of C&C as a BI game, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.

My thoughts on the classes I used:

Bladedancer: comically powerful. Dual wielding relic swords meant that she could twoshot everything in the endgame, which coupled with cleave made her do about as much damage as the rest of my party put together. Considering trying a ranger with dual daggers now to see if that's just as powerful as dual swords. Never used the special attack as I had invested everything in strength and +crit chance.

Hunter: Spent a lot of the time being my least useful character. Specced her in spear, Dodge, medium armour and endurance and she didn't do half the damage my bladedancer did although she was extremely hard to kill. She became IMMENSELY useful once I achieved the Marauder upgrade, however, due to her Mortal Kombat-esque GET OVER HEEEERE! harpoon attack allowing her to pull pesky casters close to the party without having to eat fireballs walking closer to them. Enemies can't fire if another foe is in their way, so just 1 caster close to you and skullcracking him made that doomstack of 3 casters 4 tiles away easy as kittens to kill. The trap was also quite nice, but it was frankly not needed by the time I got it as I was already totally overpowered.

Crusader: tried Building him as a tank at first until I realised that instead of taunting enemies to hit him his time was much better spent just casting celestial armour every. single. round. Party rarely took damage themselves that way. He became a heavily armoured and durable awesome support character instead, but he was kind of boring to use.

Rune priest: very durable with addition dwarf Health and able to cast the extremely useful regeneration and stone skin spells from earth magic and fire shield, mez resists and +damage auras from fire magic. Once I got past the early game, his damage dealing spells became a lot less useful, however, as enemies simply had too much Health for them to make much of an impact and his mana was better spent constantly buffing the party.

Fucking brilliant game. 8.5/10 for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Everyone will agree its better than 8 and 9 , but not as good as previous ones , theres also a nostalgia part into that probably . If you have nothing else to play and you are bored its good enough just pick the recommended classes in the thread else it will lose a lot of its fun.If you are patient wait for the inevitable steam sale soon. Half the thread is zeriel cvv and broseph defending the gameit is the best thing since arcanum, for others its meh to ok, so its probably between that.

Sour grapes detected

Eyeball

Arcane
Oh, and it took me 123 in-game days and 40 real-life hours to finish the game by walking almost everywhere, resting fre quently to save precious mana potions and finishing almost all the quests I could find.

How long did it take you to beat it?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Oh, and it took me 123 in-game days and 40 real-life hours to finish the game by walking almost everywhere, resting fre quently to save precious mana potions and finishing almost all the quests I could find.

How long did it take you to beat it?
40 hours but only ~90 in-game days I think. :M

Mortmal

Arcane

Sour grapes detected

Hmm there's some bits of doritos on your shirt infinitron....EA did pay some bloggers for promoting their games the list is easy to find , could be ubi do the same. Would be stupid not to .

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I already started a second playthrough with an all-magic party. So maybe this game is not so bad.

whatevername

Arcane
So I was trying all kinds of silly things to make the best party...

4 rangers they're ok in open spaces, suck vs armored dudes and are an EPIC FAIL in dungeons.
4 crusaders - they tank everything, but poison is annoying. I have to go to the church/go broke on potions or find 2/3 more pieces of poison resistant armor. Also the dps is low.
4 bladedancers - pwn regular npcs in the face, die in 1-2 hits on bosses, wipe out on Luke lol.
4 mages - UBER OWNAGE!!!

So far I don't see any reason to have non-mage characters in the party. I open half of the non-magical hidden doors with exploits anyway and that's the only thing I could think of to have different classes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How do you open hidden doors with exploits?

There's plenty of reason to have a Bladedancer, and crusaders can fill in for a full light mage with additional abilities (read: buff bladedancer for epic damage). Otherwise I agree, and the only attractive quality that any non-mage class can offer is the stun through maces and the skill-disabler in tactics.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Does anyone know where I can buy Purge scrolls? I need to kill some annoying Earth Elementals with their Stone Skin and Regeneration buffs in Halloth Groves but I made the poor decision of not having a Freemage for Dark Magic.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Only problem I see with four mages is micro managing the roles. Might characters basically build themselves and three of the Hybrids are very limited in their available magic, so the normal party doesn't have all that much to worry about. Trying to coordinate spell progression, weapon choices (buffers and healers without GM Focus might as well get a relic weapon with extra blocks) and school overlap between four mages seems much trickier by comparison. You'd also be chugging mana potions like water at the beginning, which could cause financial issues on Warrior.

I wonder how much damage a dark/prime/focus Freemage could churn out. I'm guessing there's a limit of 1 spirit beacon per party, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Greatness

Cipher
Other than burning through lots of mana potions 4 mages would be fairly easy. The game in general isn't very hard. It's definitely doable, although late game I imagine all 4 mages combined still couldn't dish out the damage that a single blademaster could with decent gear + mandate of heaven + relentless weapons.

I don't see how coordinating mages would be hard. Choose 2-3 schools for each to GM, that's all the planning you need. I also don't see how you'd need to chug potions at the beginning, resting is more than powerful enough and rations are absurdly cheap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom