Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Eh, so it's useless for anyone who doesn't use Air. Thought so.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
RE: The game's performance . . .

As I get further into the game, it becomes apparent to me how much of a detriment these shitty load times and the unbelievably shitty optimization are to the project's overall success. These issues take away so much. I shudder to think of how many sales they have lost because of these ridiculous graphics issues.

I have monster CPU, a very solid GPU and eight fucking gigs of RAM. If I am not getting slowdowns in fucking Skyrim there is no fucking way I should be getting them here. None. No fucking way. It is ridiculous. They need to fix this this fast.

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
So I rerolled a new party: Runepriest (Fire, Light), Druid (Earth, Primordial), Barbarian (2h and Mace) and Defender (Axes, Shields, Warfare). All I can say is wow I sure am missing that sweet, sweet BD. But I forced myself to try something different this time. I know Warfare is here to give melee some flavor and skills to use so that Magic Users don't hog all the glory, but it's kinda bland and meh when you have two pure melee guys. And I honestly think BD benefits the most from it. He could easily shatter anyone, but now I find myself wasting two attacks just to Shatter enemies because of blocks. Gotta level up that Two-Handed skill fast to avoid this problem.

Also, does anyone happen to know what stats the Thunderstaff (Relic weapon that you get with uplay points) will get?

What do you mean wasting 2 turns on shatter? It is an attack, except it uses mana and removes block

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
RE: The game's performance . . .

As I get further into the game, it becomes apparent to me how much of a detriment these shitty load times and the unbelievably shitty optimization are to the project's overall success. These issues take away so much. I shudder to think of how many sales they have lost because of these ridiculous graphics issues.

I have monster CPU, a very solid GPU and eight fucking gigs of RAM. If I am not getting slowdowns in fucking Skyrim there is no fucking way I should be getting them here. None. No fucking way. It is ridiculous. They need to fix this this fast.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
What do you mean wasting 2 turns on shatter? It is an attack, except it uses mana and removes block
I think he means that the BD had multiple strikes so he only needed to use the Shatter skill once. With the defender and barbarian, the first time misses due to enemy blocking/dodging.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think he means that the BD had multiple strikes so he only needed to use the Shatter skill once. With the defender and barbarian, the first time misses due to enemy blocking/dodging.

Exactly this. BD has a huge advantage with the Warfare abilities due to having more chances to apply the effects per turn.
Edit: Also my Defender feels like a gimped Crusader. Same tanky role, but without the amazing Light spells. There's no flavor to this class.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Edit: Also my Defender feels like a gimped Crusader. Same tanky role, but without the amazing Light spells. There's no flavor to this class.

Well, they have more incentive to push into the shield skill early, since there's nothing better to invest in. So that's the flavor, blocking.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Alright, going to wait for this one to get patched up. So, what would you guys consider to be the best of the Might and Magic series? I really got stuck in World of Xeen back in the day but currently the consensus seems to lean towards M&M6: Mandate of Heaven being the best.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Exactly this. BD has a huge advantage with the Warfare abilities due to having more chances to apply the effects per turn.

The one thing that is not apparent when making your characters is that the Crusader is a full-on tank. I mean, maybe it is obvious to some people but I missed it. So I rolled a Crusader and a Defender. Having two "Taunts" is useful when you are fighting enemies who aren't immune (which sadly seems to be a fucking lot) and their health pools are both ginormous. But they don't do the insane damage that a BD would do.

Also, does anybody know the best ways to keep a squishy mage alive? Should I invest in dodge? She dies all the fucking time, it is so goddamn annoying.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Alright, going to wait for this one to get patched up. So, what would you guys consider to be the best of the Might and Magic series? I really got stuck in World of Xeen back in the day but currently the consensus seems to lean towards M&M6: Mandate of Heaven being the best.
I like 3 and 6 more than World of Xeen but I'm sure many here would disagree with me. You could start with 3 and go up from there.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like 3 and 6 more than World of Xeen but I'm sure many here would disagree with me. You could start with 3 and go up from there.

Start from 3 and go up, but then go back and play MM1+2.

Fuuuuuuuck, the mid-game ennui has hit me hard with Legacy. Everything about this game that reminds me of the older games just makes me want to stop playing and run through 1-5 instead.

Arkeus

Arcane
Instead of investing into vit/spirit/magic like a Crusader must, a Defender can just pump everything into might after a minimal investment in vitality (because dwarves get a lot of life even from a minimal investment).

Likewise, you then rush Axes and Warfare/Shield (you stop shield at master). Defender can actually be pretty damn powerful as long as you focus on mainly increase his ability to hit stuff and hit them HARD.

When it comes down to it, he will never die anyway, so you just need in minimal investment in defensive stuff while pumping stuff to damage enemies.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The one thing that is not apparent when making your characters is that the Crusader is a full-on tank. I mean, maybe it is obvious to some people but I missed it. So I rolled a Crusader and a Defender. Having two "Taunts" is useful when you are fighting enemies who aren't immune (which sadly seems to be a fucking lot) and their health pools are both ginormous. But they don't do the insane damage that a BD would do.

Also, does anybody know the best ways to keep a squishy mage alive? Should I invest in dodge? She dies all the fucking time, it is so goddamn annoying.

Just keep Regen on at all times. Heal them to full with Heal if they are very low HP. I rarely had to heal my Paladin and BD with anything more than Regen so I'd just concentrate on my Magic Users if Regen wasn't keeping them alive. Also Stone Skin. Dodge isn't a bad investment, though. I felt that Expert Dodge worked well for me.

I'll give a vote for 3 and 7. I just couldn't get that into 6. The game always wore me down eventually with the huge monster spam. 7 had it, too, but I felt that combat was much faster in it. I also appreciated all the connections to HoMM and MM3, 4 and 5.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Dodge doesn't actually do all that much; even my Blade Dancer took Medium Armor instead, and he did fine. Endurance (and Vitality) are much better than Dodge when it comes to preventing one-hit kills, which are the only real danger even on Warrior difficulty.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Just keep Regen on at all times. Heal them to full with Heal if they are very low HP. I rarely had to heal my Paladin and BD with anything more than Regen so I'd just concentrate on my Magic Users if Regen wasn't keeping them alive. Also Stone Skin. Dodge isn't a bad investment, though. I felt that Expert Dodge worked well for me.

Regen is up constantly, and my Crusader is dropping Celestial Armor with some regularity. She is just so goddamn squishy. I guess the main problem is that I don't have any magic defenses for her. My mage is a classic case of me not knowing what the fuck I was doing when I rolled her. I gave her points in fire, ignored primordial for too long, then gave her points in earth because I had no heals. She is spread too thin, now. I also wasted points in magical focus (fucking stupid!) and waited too long to pump points into Mysticism. She's a goddamn hot mess.

Arkeus

Arcane
Dodge doesn't actually do all that much; even my Blade Dancer took Medium Armor instead, and he did fine. Endurance (and Vitality) are much better than Dodge when it comes to preventing one-hit kills, which are the only real danger even on Warrior difficulty.

Dodge does an awful lot. If you can stack dodge high enough it acts like a block. It doesn't really negate the need for damage reduction, but what it does is a multiplier.
Anybody know what is better, Stone Skin or Liquid Membrane?
Stone skin is a flat Armor rating, Liquid Membrane is a %damage reduction. Liquide Membrane is much stronger, but they stack.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Regen is up constantly, and my Crusader is dropping Celestial Armor with some regularity. She is just so goddamn squishy. I guess the main problem is that I don't have any magic defenses for her. My mage is a classic case of me not knowing what the fuck I was doing when I rolled her. I gave her points in fire, ignored primordial for too long, then gave her points in earth because I had no heals. She is spread too thin, now. I also wasted points in magical focus (fucking stupid!) and waited too long to pump points into Mysticism. She's a goddamn hot mess.

Well Magical Focus is great and you'll want to GM it eventually so it's not wasted points. 0.8% more crit chance per point is a pretty huge. If this is your first M&M game then I can see why you made the mistake of spreading your skills thin. It's a good idea to focus on the skills you can GM to get the most bang out of your characters instead of trying to jack it. Beyond that I don't really know what else I can suggest to make your mages less squishy. Invest in some Vitality, maybe. My Freemage and Druid had 25 Vit at the end of the game while I didn't give my BD or Crusader a single point of it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Magic Focus is fantastic unless you play on Adventurer and can afford to constantly use damage spells.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I dropped the game after circa 15h and I guess I won't be coming back to it for now, let's see how stuff develops. Leveling your guize and pimping them with stuff isn't particularly fun for me, which is kind of a big deal for the game of this type. The character system and its application is what really lets me down. There's just not enough synergy, tinkering and interesting combinations to come up with. Also some downright bad design, like making a defender class that cannot defend your party or making a ranged class when ranged completely sucks, then giving him melee skill as a class skill and then giving him a special skill that makes ranged attacks melee. Bro we heard you liked ranged so we made a ranged class so you can range but ranged sucks so we made it melee but it shouldn't suck so we made ranged melee so you can melee while you range.

And making characters and monsters mute on 32bit OS... well, that's just mean.

I still support the living shit out of it mind you, bought early access and all, since it's a first goddamn retail western tb blob in over a decade (sic!). I guess it's only normal, hard to expect people coming back to making proper crpgs after taking such a break and being instantly good at it. They'll learn.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It depends on whether you prefer turn-based and grid-based gameplay, in which case MM 1-5 will probably be up your alley. Otherwise, you might prefer MM6-8.

MM 6-8 used a real time combat in a free-roaming 3D environment, but used sprites for the NPC and monsters. They also had an optional turn-based mode. MM4 Clouds of Xeen and MM5 Darkside are basically one large game, World of Xeen. MM7 improved on MM6 and added the Arcomage mini-game, but has smaller dungeons. MM8 added dragons as joinable NPC's, which can break the game, and went with the design decision race==class. MM9 is better not spoken of.

MM4-5 and MM6 have the most votes in the M&M Discussion Thread. They also have the largest game worlds. Either way, you'll get both in the MM1-6 pack from GOG.com for $9.99, or can wait for a 50-75% M&M sale.

If you're not put off by the DOS graphics, I would suggest that you start with MM1, since it's a great game for 1986, especially because it was programmed by Jon Van Canghem basically by himself. The game is difficult in the beginning if you don't use the default party (it has decent stats and some gold for starting equipment), so I created a trainer for it. The drawback is that you have to make your own maps (or look them up online or in the Hint Book pdf included in the GOG.com extras). You can only save when you're in an inn, too.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I maxed Dodge on my Freemage and it made no difference. Really the only was to make sure your squishy doesn't get squished is a) Celestial Armour, b) Ward for whatever element you're being hit by, c) Regeneration up at all times, d) Pray. Lucky enemy crits in act 3 deal 400+ damage, and since there is no way to get your squishy's health above 200 without pumping all points into Vitality (and I don't think I need to tell you why that's a bad idea...) there's nothing you can really do, other than have the buffs up and hope you don't get unlucky with rolls. It still happened to me a few times, but not so often as to make me rage. Most enemies that can one-shot your mage will be immune to taunts so that doesn't help much. I would still give the mage one point of dodge if you have any +dodge items, just to use that bonus.

(speaking of which, dodge does stack with the armour bonuses, right? they're not mutually exclusive)

My ranger used to be even squishier than my mage until she got the relic helmet that gives a fuckton of endurance, and the relic medium armour that gives vampiric leech. She's now even sturdier than my barbarian with his insane health pool, which is good since she's my Earth master, and having her survive big blows means she can regenerate everyone else.

You could start with 3 and go up from there.
Or you could start with 1 and go up from there, you faggot :rpgcodex:

My Defender is my most boring character. There's nothing he can do that the barbarian can't. His high block means he survives when the rest of the party dies, which isn't exactly what a tank should be doing... I found shield GM to not be that great, although I do love that shield relic that stuns your enemies if you block them. Stun abilities really are extremely powerful if the dice go your way - I was fighting I forgot who now, and managed to keep him/her/it stunlocked for 4 rounds in a row between my Defender and my Barbarian, and turned a potentially challenging fight into a joke. I'm really going to miss the mace mastery when I play my next party.

When it comes down to it, he will never die anyway, so you just need in minimal investment in defensive stuff while pumping stuff to damage enemies.
Thing is, if you just want 2 melee hitting hard, why not take BD and Barb? Or even Ranger? Anything will do more damage than the Defender, and the problem with the Defender is that, after everyone else is dead, he doesn't really stand much of a chance on his own, nor does he deal enough damage to kill things quickly. Mine is running around with GM axe and most points spread between Might and Destiny, with a few to keep Perception at a decent level. He hits half as hard as my Ranger, who has lower Destiny, lower Might, lower Perception, and can do stuff other than just sitting there dealing pitiful damage.

The drawback is that you have to make your own maps (or look them up online or in the Hint Book pdf included in the GOG.com extras). You can only save when you're in an inn, too.
None of these are a problem in this day and age. Online maps abound, including unannoted ones you can use to just save yourself the drawing while keeping the unknown factor, or you can get that map drawing tool someone made on here (forgot where that thread was). As for saving, DOSBox supports save states, and it makes the game a LOT easier (and more importantly it mitigates the extreme imbalance in the early game, which can be frustrating)

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I'm surprised at the Metascore
Only 71/100 from the "official" critics and accidentally also 7.1/10 from the Users.

For comparison, Banner Saga is at 82/100 | 8.1/10 and Blackguards is at 69/100 | 7.8/10

I personally rank MMX :5/5:. Seriously the best release of the year so far for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom