Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

ben_reck

Educated
"If you want to install a version that doesn't match your current version, you can perform a custom installation of Windows 7. A custom installation doesn't keep any of your files, programs, or settings."

That is not optimal. I assume just upgrading to Win7 32-bit would avail me little.

Eyeball

Arcane
One valid complaint from Yahtzee's hurrdurr video: the "find Expert trainer to uncap your skill level" thing is frankly a bit too oldschool today. While it was nice having to run all over the countryside looking for trainers to upgrade your skills to master and GM levels, it was pretty grating to have to run around underpowered if you happened to have picked one of the weapon skills that didn't have Expert trainers in the first city, causing your stat points to accumulate unused. He is also right about the inability to run away from fight being really annoying and causing the game to become an exercise in F9ing quickly.

Zeriel

Arcane
The only way to stay sane is to just not read any coverage of games, anywhere.

One valid complaint from Yahtzee's hurrdurr video: the "find Expert trainer to uncap your skill level" thing is frankly a bit too oldschool today. While it was nice having to run all over the countryside looking for trainers to upgrade your skills to master and GM levels, it was pretty grating to have to run around underpowered if you happened to have picked one of the weapon skills that didn't have Expert trainers in the first city, causing your stat points to accumulate unused. He is also right about the inability to run away from fight being really annoying and causing the game to become an exercise in F9ing quickly.

Fuck off and die. The trainer system is one of the high points of M&M.

I'd argue it works in other games, too. Gothic did something similar, and it really enhanced the game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
maybe if you only started playing mm after 6 came out... the system would be less stupidly gamey if it allowed higher tier trainers to also train one (or all) tier below their own, but the way it currently exists, which i assume is also how it looks in the 6-9 trilogy, is just bad.

Nyast

Cipher
I think the trainer system was a good idea and I don't mind it in its current state, but IMO it wouldn't have hurt to have more multiple trainers/locations providing the same service ( ie. multiple trainers for master-level sword for ex. ) instead of 90% of the time, having a single NPC to look for on the map.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I was going to agree with you until I read Eyeball's post again. He's not complaining about the trainer system or where the trainers are but about the fact you cannot raise the skill above those soft caps until after you get Expert. And THAT did not exist in 6-8, where you could keep pumping points (and benefitting from the skill) even though you didn't get the extra advantage from the skill promotion until you found the trainer. I would have preferred if they kept it the same here too, especially since as I complained earlier all of ten skills cannot be trained to expert until after arbitrary plot points are passed (not to mention how many Master/GM are gated in Karthal, which is pretty much late-game content). MM7 did this too, and I didn't like it there either despite being able to spend the points - it's worse in MMX.

Though SuicideBunny's complain, which is what you attributed to Eyeball, definitely deserves a "Fuck off and die."

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Though SuicideBunny's complain, which is what you attributed to Eyeball, definitely deserves a "Fuck off and die."
it is a stupid arbitrary design decision that makes little sense (to me). why can a teacher only teach you on a certain level and not the closely related level below it? it's about the same kind of stupid as having class promotions and certain gm trainers cut off by story events. (fuck you freemage promo)

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
why can a teacher only teach you on a certain level and not the closely related level below it?

"Fuck off youngster, I don't have time for the likes of you. Get back when you at least learn the basics"?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
why can a teacher only teach you on a certain level and not the closely related level below it?

"Fuck off youngster, I don't have time for the likes of you. Get back when you at least learn the basics"?
makes sense for one or two, not all of them... and we aren't talking basics, we're talking master taught by gm trainer.

Shadenuat

Arcane
OMG make it stop, horses neighing, flies buzzing, ravenous ghouls haa-uhhing.

they've smelled us, we forgot to take a bath

take a bath
bath a take
a take bath--

(laughs uncontrollably, sets himself on fire and jumps from a cliff)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
the 6-9 trilogy
Those are four games: 6, 7, 8, 9.
6-8 can be considered a trilogy, since they used the same game engine and took place on the nameless planet of Enroth/Antagarich/Jadame. 9 takes place on Axeoth and uses a 3D engine.[/pedantic]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
makes sense for one or two, not all of them... and we aren't talking basics, we're talking master taught by gm trainer.

Same reason Hitler didn't teach politics at university, GMs are busy people.

I was going to agree with you until I read Eyeball's post again. He's not complaining about the trainer system or where the trainers are but about the fact you cannot raise the skill above those soft caps until after you get Expert. And THAT did not exist in 6-8, where you could keep pumping points (and benefitting from the skill) even though you didn't get the extra advantage from the skill promotion until you found the trainer. I would have preferred if they kept it the same here too, especially since as I complained earlier all of ten skills cannot be trained to expert until after arbitrary plot points are passed (not to mention how many Master/GM are gated in Karthal, which is pretty much late-game content). MM7 did this too, and I didn't like it there either despite being able to spend the points - it's worse in MMX.

This is true. Gated trainers is one thing, having certain skills gated far later than others with no recourse other than to power through content with 10+ skillpoints unused is just bad.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
32-bit ambient sound implementation would be nice, too. Without it, I have to face every wall tile to check for secrets instead of hearing a comment from a pc.
party chatter does not trigger 100% for all secrets, so you have to check anyway.

That's a bug and not intended, right?
possibly an oversight as it happens to very few doors and they do not retrigger any banter when you revisit the location while the doors with normal banter will play some banter again when you reload the map, even if the door is already open. they might have placed triggers for that banter manually and overlooked a few...

either way all the banter is bad and gets annoying in minutes at most. i wish they had an option to play everything but secret queues just once and then never ever fucking again.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Couldn't figure how to approach a chest at vigil 1st floor. That one look like guarded by two angel statues and when I try to get near it my whole party dies.

Arkeus

Arcane
Couldn't figure how to approach a chest at vigil 1st floor. That one look like guarded by two angel statues and when I try to get near it my whole party dies.
I haven't done it yet, but apparently it has a very nice trick- people are saying 'use the mouse to look around'.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't done it yet, but apparently it has a very nice trick- people are saying 'use the mouse to look around'.

There were some boots near it so I thought maybe all party members should take of their boots too (holy ground?), going to try it now.
Edit: LoL.

it worked :)

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
Which is 10 million shades of fucking crazy, considering how low-end the graphics and RAM requirements should be. 6GB of RAM for a turn based blobber? God in heaven, what planet am I living on?
Unity

Yep. My guess is that the game preloads a fuckton of data every time you go to an area instead of opting for a more elegant solution with loading as you go. That would also explain the loading times.

That's low-budget dev for you. AoD's got excessive reqs as well.
Take a look at xml files
There are textures in .psd (photoshop format LOL? ), png and tga. psd and tga take like 5x more space than png. A lot of sounds are .wav...

Used Assets, sorted by uncompressed size:
7.7 mb 10.0% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/ThunderStormShort.wav
4.8 mb 6.3% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/AirSpellCyclone.wav
2.7 mb 3.5% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/TimeStopLoop.wav
1.7 mb 2.2% Assets/Sounds/Music/DM_Gen_Combat_Full_Remix.mp3
1.7 mb 2.2% Assets/Sounds/Music/DM_Gen_Combat_Full_Master.mp3
1.6 mb 2.1% Assets/Sounds/Music/Boss_Battle.mp3
1.4 mb 1.8% Assets/Sounds/Spells/BeginCastSounds/MagicSound.wav

7MB for some shitty sound that nobody bothered to convert to mp3??? Add them up and you get gigabytes of crap.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They should have let China do their coding again, clearly those guys knew what they were doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom