Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Searching for trainers never been a problem for me but putting GM dagger trainer in the last dungeons last floor is bullshit. I feel for dagger users.

:rage:
I didn't know that was the case. God dammit I knew I should've gone with swords! :mad:

You can have fun with you GM dagger skills in last 3 hours of game no worries.

:troll:

Seriously, that thing is fucked up. I cleaned whole map before entering there and I assume most of us did the same thing. Dunno about how powerfull daggers are (haven't got any relic thanks to that bug in bestiary questline) but I don't really think they are that powerful...

Aonther problem with the game, we get some relics really late. Especially the one in vigil... I don't think anyone can fully level up that one (two handed mace) without cheesing.
Also game will tell you there will be no returning near end (for a time at least) go and get that repair hireling before going on last quest. I got my 3 equipment broke on me at first level of that dungeon... Had to use shitty white/green stuff.

Eyeball

Arcane
Second to last dungeon, actually. Except you can't ENTER the dang thing until you're nearly done with the main storyline, so no dice heading there early and getting your training.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Nope, despite some serious technical problems and boring end game, I really had fun playing it. It is just very rough on many edges.
Last boss "fight" is kinda cool though at least different. (I got a bug there too :) seems like we are not supposed to kill boss in one shot..)

BTW there is an level 40 achivment, dunno how that one is possible. I couldn't enter only 1 dungeon (only orcs allowed... racism at its finest) but I cleared whole map, did every quest I can and even finished Meow dungeon. My party was all level 33 when I was done (very close to 34 for defender though) and I had Edwin with me as soon as I get in act 2. Probably get more XP with other scholar guy too but don't think that'll be enough for 7-6 levels.

Eyeball

Arcane
Clear map, wait for respawn, clear all Again? Or maybe it's for any eventual expansion packs or DLCs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Second to last dungeon, actually. Except you can't ENTER the dang thing until you're nearly done with the main storyline, so no dice heading there early and getting your training.

Truth is you can't GM anything without promotions and most promotion quests (especially Paladin, Windsword, Blademaster or Runelord) are pretty fucking tough. So no, you won't be running around with GM'd daggers on lvl 15 but neither will you with swords or axes.

For a second playthrough you can always progress the main quest line first and go through the Tomb around 20+ level. It's roughly the same difficulty as the Cursed Crypt or the Sacred Grove (Paladin/Blademaster promotions).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Clear map, wait for respawn, clear all Again? Or maybe it's for any eventual expansion packs or DLCs.

Mobs respawn ?!? Not in 100 days I suppose, I finished in 108 days and haven't seen ay respawn.
It'll be a really long&boring grind, considering first enemies only give 10-20 xp...
But yeah, probaby you are right about DLC. I only hope they adress bugs before releasing any content.

cvv

Promotion quests seems to be meant for 21-22 levels but some of them are really in far places, need to get air dragons blessings for some orc and dwarf promotion quests. They should have made them more accessible imho.

duchU

Educated
Mysticism and your magic schools are usually better for your damage output than MF without GM. Then you can consider going endurance to shift some Vitality towards the Magic stat (which also has better returns than MF, while Endurance has better returns than Vitality) or towards Spirit, and so on and so forth.
MF multiplies your magic school damage. Nothing has better damage output than this. GMing MF, however, means that you can only have two magic schools learned with your character (you can GM only 3 skills), so this clearly cut on versatility.

Mysticism does nothing for your damage past the point where you have enough mana to last you any one fight, and items that gives +50mana are ridiculously common.

Does MF affect protection/healing spells?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does MF affect protection/healing spells?

I don't think so, it says it's only a crit chance increase.

Mysticism is very good early to mid game, better than pumping points into Spirit but yeah, it's not worth it above Master (although, is there even a GM option for that skill?)

As for MF, I feel like without it GM'd or at least mastered attack spells quickly become useless from mid game on.

duchU

Educated
I finished the game and there was no big difference in DMG between my freemage (Air and Prime GM + MF M) and runepriest (Fire GM and no MF) so I kinda wonder about it. The best comparison would be two characters with the same magic school though. With a runepriest I went into mace and shield (both M) and I was happy with that (had some doubts about it but only at the early stage).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I finished the game and there was no big difference in DMG between my freemage (Air and Prime GM + MF M) and runepriest (Fire GM and no MF) so I kinda wonder about it. The best comparison would be two characters with the same magic school though. With a runepriest I went into mace and shield (both M) and I was happy with that (had some doubts about it but only at the early stage).

There wouldn't be any difference in dmg, only you should be critting much more often with GM Focus. Dunno, on my first and so far only playthrough I relied on melee dmg solely. It was fine, although I did feel it'd be more convenient to cut through the hordes with GM level Fire Blast or Cyclone. Will try next time.

Btw did you use GM level Implosion? How was it? I used it a few times with my Prime mastered but it was pitiful.

Arkeus

Arcane
There wouldn't be any difference in dmg, only you should be critting much more often with GM Focus.
Yeah, you crit more often (my freemage has 45% chance to crit currently) and you crit harder (Two wands at +30% crit damage on spells means you get a +90%+10%natural i think), which makes crits both reliable and powerful.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Implosion is dissapointing damagewise and it get resisted quite often on elemental types and casters. Chain lighting, firebal/blast does more reliable group damage.
Crushing weight is far more better on lone targets like bosses, even orcs didn't resist that one (much)

BTW my best AoE combo is fire rune,cyclone, poison cloud and thunderstorm. There are some good open spots in last dungeons that allow us to cast fire rune without dangering the group. It is funny that one miss calculated spell could wreck party that easily.

duchU

Educated
Yeah, I know it's about crit chance. I am not sure if MF is so good - runepriest was great without it (that's what I ment with DMG). On the other hand u can ask yourself if taking 3 magic schools to GM with one character is so good idea either. In most cases u will not use them all (or at least not as often as u would like to) so maybe MF really is a better choice.

I think Implosion was nice. Have used it a lot. Somehow it worked better for me than Chain Lighting. Thunderstorm was cool though. Never tried Cyclone - do not know why (probably because description says it can hurt your party) - I think I'll go and try it to see how it work. Also I like Hour of Power. But I wonder if Dark and Water (only expert levels in these) are better than Prime/Air.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Dark and Water combination seems really good for preventing damage with liquid membrane and weakness. Water spells don't do much damage but they got nice attack number reducing debuffs, pushbacks and freezes. I have some fantasies about this one with some ranged characters.
Cyclone is good but don't over use it, gives quite a headache thanks to its loud noise :) It is bugged now, if its come to your group by itself it wont hurt, only hurts if you step in it manually.

Edit:

cvv

Hour of Power rocks late game, 25+ to for 11 turns.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Which is 10 million shades of fucking crazy, considering how low-end the graphics and RAM requirements should be. 6GB of RAM for a turn based blobber? God in heaven, what planet am I living on?
Unity

Yep. My guess is that the game preloads a fuckton of data every time you go to an area instead of opting for a more elegant solution with loading as you go. That would also explain the loading times.

That's low-budget dev for you. AoD's got excessive reqs as well.
Take a look at xml files
There are textures in .psd (photoshop format LOL? ), png and tga. psd and tga take like 5x more space than png. A lot of sounds are .wav...

Used Assets, sorted by uncompressed size:
7.7 mb 10.0% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/ThunderStormShort.wav
4.8 mb 6.3% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/AirSpellCyclone.wav
2.7 mb 3.5% Assets/Sounds/Spells/Tier4Spells/TimeStopLoop.wav
1.7 mb 2.2% Assets/Sounds/Music/DM_Gen_Combat_Full_Remix.mp3
1.7 mb 2.2% Assets/Sounds/Music/DM_Gen_Combat_Full_Master.mp3
1.6 mb 2.1% Assets/Sounds/Music/Boss_Battle.mp3
1.4 mb 1.8% Assets/Sounds/Spells/BeginCastSounds/MagicSound.wav

7MB for some shitty sound that nobody bothered to convert to mp3??? Add them up and you get gigabytes of crap.

Man, that is just fucking lazy.

duchU

Educated
Dark and Water combination seems really good for preventing damage with liquid membrane and weakness. Water spells don't do much damage but they got nice attack number reducing debuffs, pushbacks and freezes. I have some fantasies about this one with some ranged characters.
Cyclone is good but don't over use it, gives quite a headache thanks to its loud noise :) It is bugged now, if its come to your group by itself it wont hurt, only hurts if you step in it manually.

Edit:

cvv

Hour of Power rocks late game, 25+ to for 11 turns.
HoP spell is +11 for 12 turn. 25 is from the statue I think.

About Dark and Water - Terror do not seem good to me. Agony - depends on your team I guess (could be good with 3 melee characters), but has this spell any turn time limit? Weakness - if u have Light GM then I think it's better to have offensive spell instead of that. Water membrane - people say it's great but u have to cast it every turn (does it work against range attacks?) and if u have Light Shield then it's the same thing like with Weakness + Light GM. Tsunami could be good in some situations but it requires space for pushing and when u have Crusader and Ranger or other meele classes pushing enemies is not what u want to do (except some though monsters like ghouls maybe if u are not strong enough - but if u have 2 meele characters and 2 for magic then u can use only one char for dealing some good dmg after pushing enemy away - and pushing do not work every time because of possible resist). So it seems that water + dark is good rather with something like all magic party. But maybe I am wrong.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Agony has no turn limit (good on last boss :)) like most of the debuffs, weakness having a short limit is annoying really (2 turns...) Even with only 2 melee it adds nice damage, it probably works wonders with blade master GM daggers.
Membrane should work against everything, naga casters negate spell damage with it too though theirs stay on them till you purge.
I used tsunami only from scrolls and yes on friggin ghouls&spearmen. I just hacked them before I push them back.
I was pretty sure about HoP, remembering that number from last fight where there was no shrines but there is a chance my eyes have failed me. (after abusing them for 20 years they have all the right :))

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So it seems that water + dark is good rather with something like all magic party. But maybe I am wrong.

The -1 attack from water works well with the one absorbed attack from dark (surprising amount of bosses with 2-3 attacks in the game), but you need to cast them both on the same turn. I'd never put water and dark on the same character.

Just how I'd prefer to keep my Earth and Air GM separate - you can keep a group of two mobs away from you endlessly by pushing away the first one, then rooting the second (it auto-targets the nearest mob). If everybody has at least one of those spell schools, you can keep four mobs away permanently (though. Thus, Air/Earth would be the absolute minimum for making a ranged party work.

Best ranged party would probably be 3 rangers with high spirit and either Freemage or Druid (for access to the ranged armor-shattering Prime spell; combine that with Poison Cloud's evade decrease and you're gonna do decent damage). It would still get almost-stomped by bosses, but that's what potions are for.

Last edited:

duchU

Educated
So it seems that water + dark is good rather with something like all magic party. But maybe I am wrong.

The -1 attack from water works well with the one absorbed attack from dark (surprising amount of bosses with 2-3 attacks in the game), but you need to cast them both on the same turn. I'd never put water and dark on the same character.
Well my party was Crusader, Ranger, Freemage, Runepriest so I could have Water and Dark only on Freemage :)
But -1 attack Water spells and Dark spell for missing first attack are in novice spells (or expert at most) so u do not need Master or GM degree.

I was pretty sure about HoP, remembering that number from last fight where there was no shrines but there is a chance my eyes have failed me. (after abusing them for 20 years they have all the right :))
Yeah, I remembered 25 also but I checked spell description and it says +11 points for 12 turns (Prime GM + MF GM). Also used it to be 100% sure.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, it helps to do more damage while you're stealing attacks. The dark spell scaling is completely useless though (you can wait 10 turns before your first melee hit!)

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, I remembered 25 also but I checked spell description and it says +11 points for 12 turns (Prime GM + MF GM). Also used it to be 100% sure.
That's weird. Any other spells you get from shrines/stones are weaker than when you cast them yourselves even if they don't last as long.

For the GM spell of Arcane to be actually weaker than the one you get everywhere is...poor handling.

I really hope you are wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom