Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Can someone tell me if increased melee damage buffs the elemental damage from enchants aswell? Should i be leveling might and destiny or only destiny on dagger dual wield?
I'm pretty sure that the weapon weapons are affected by increased might. Otherwise, it would always be better to choose a weapon that does +3 damage instead of one that does +3 Earth damage.

None in my party use daggers, but so I can't vouch personally, but here's a detailed of analysis might vs destiny for dual-wielding dagger from earlier in this thread. Hope it helps.

How does the Dodge scale? Because the crit bonus is just crap. Unless there are some serious boosters I'm missing the best you can get is +.35% per point, which with even +70% crit bonus from daggers equates to an average of +.245% damage. The point at which diminishing returns on a point in Might or Magic would make them worse than a point in destiny would be around 2000 in either stat.

How do you derive those numbers? Might gives 2% per point (mind you, this stacks additively with skill bonuses as well, so you hit diminishing returns faster with skilled weapons) so at 100 might, you're dealing triple damage. Which means each point in destiny is effectively giving +.835% damage instead of .245%. The break even point would be around 300-400 might, I can't be assed to do the math, but it's nowhere close to 2000.

Ahh, my mistake. I was thinking +5% from each might point, but that's skills that give +5%, not stats.

The break even point is 2%/(.245%) = 816% damage before Destiny gives a bigger return than Might. But this is slightly incorrect, as I was talking about dual wielding daggers, and the same dagger training that improves destiny scaling also improves might, letting might scale at +2.4%. So to be perfectly correct, with duel wielded daggers the breakpoint is 2.4%/(.245%) which gives us a 979% damage before destiny is worth more than Might. I'm not at end game so someone will have to tell me whether this is at all reasonable. Although even this is a bit wrong, as we aren't including the base crit rate in as damage, which pushes the average breakpoint away yet further

That's still pretty awful, but crits also trigger special effects for axes and maces with decent skill levels.
In that case, the issue is that other weapons scale far worse than daggers with crits in the first place. Mauls only get +20%, so they need a base damage bonus 3.5x higher than daggers before the breakpoint arrives. Now we are talking about thousands of Might.

Fact of the matter is that Destiny isn't going to let you pull off something like a stun effect at all reliably, and if you are using stuff that guarantees a critical you'll want Might.

And destiny shouldn't be outstripping might anyways, since it has defensive benefits, while might is purely offensive.

Yeah, I asked whether anyone knew how well dodge scaled. The best information I can find from a google is "pretty shitty", but that was early access.

Arkeus

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that the weapon weapons are affected by increased might. Otherwise, it would always be better to choose a weapon that does +3 damage instead of one that does +3 Earth damage.
Only the physical portion of a weapon is enhanced by the weapon skill and might. This is why it's almost always better to get to the new tier of weapons even if their enchantments are not as good. The exception being for Relentless on non-daggers (relentless on daggers are still the best enchant, but not worth switching for a weapon with higher base damage).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How much a buff is it on a high level? The basic stats are +3 might, magic, perc and destiny for 12 turns. What about with very high Magic and maxed Prime?
I didn't max Prime but in true M&M fashion I made a note of where the HoP shrine is and went there whenever I knew I was going into a tough area. I think the shrine HoP is just as good or even better than with GM prime, so I saw no reason to burden my Freemage with Prime GM (especially since he's my only pure caster)

duchU

Educated
Yeah, I remembered 25 also but I checked spell description and it says +11 points for 12 turns (Prime GM + MF GM). Also used it to be 100% sure.
That's weird. Any other spells you get from shrines/stones are weaker than when you cast them yourselves even if they don't last as long.

For the GM spell of Arcane to be actually weaker than the one you get everywhere is...poor handling.

I really hope you are wrong.
Checked again: it's +11. I checked HoP statue also (the one near Karthal city) and it gives +10 but it also increases range and meele value attack so it's better I think :D There is not too many HoP statues in the game though.
But I could swear I saw +25 somewhere...

Arkeus

Arcane
Checked again: it's +11. I checked HoP statue also (the one near Karthal city) and it gives +10 but it also increases range and meele value attack so it's better I think :D There is not too many HoP statues in the game though.
That's a freaking shame, and something they should fix.

And there are a lot of HoP statues in the game. There is at least one next to the cyclope cave, one next to seahaven in the forest, one near karthal, i think one in the desolate wyld... It's easy to have one for pretty much any dungeons you do.

Having be an entire magical tree being utility that can be replaced by scrolls except for identify (and that's just a money dump) is a joke, and they should do something about it.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I remembered 25 also but I checked spell description and it says +11 points for 12 turns (Prime GM + MF GM). Also used it to be 100% sure.
That's weird. Any other spells you get from shrines/stones are weaker than when you cast them yourselves even if they don't last as long.

For the GM spell of Arcane to be actually weaker than the one you get everywhere is...poor handling.

Just checked it, its 11 for stats and raises attack value 27. Here we encounter a minor typo, buff icon on middle of screen says it increases everything 27...
But I checked stats and its 11.

Having be an entire magical tree being utility that can be replaced by scrolls except for identify (and that's just a money dump) is a joke, and they should do something about it.

Well it has Implosion, which people keep saying becomes powerful at GM.

Anyone have actual numbers for comparison between Implosion and either Fire or Air magic? How exactly does the second clause of the spell (the 30% part) work?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well it has Implosion, which people keep saying becomes powerful at GM.

Anyone have actual numbers for comparison between Implosion and either Fire or Air magic? How exactly does the second clause of the spell (the 30% part) work?

Tried with my freemage( 85 magic), her Implosion hit main target for 220 and others in same block for 60. 25 mana and crits for 520
Chain lighting hit all of them between 320-350. 30 mana and crits for 1100!
Fireblast from rune priest(70 magic ) hit all of them for 150-160. Note that fire blast hit 3 blocks in front. 45 mana and crits for 420

Chain lighting is clearly the winner for here. Each school was GMed. Maybe implosion works better with high HP targets but I tried it on shades, an end game enemy with over 1k hp.

Edit: BTW I'm not sure why lighting crits are that high O_o

Last edited:
Hmm, why does Chain Lightning seem to be critting so much harder than everyone else? That's at least a 4.4x crit multiplier there, while Implosion only got 2.36x and Fireblast only got 2.625x.

Going off base stats Implosion and Fireblast should do almost exactly the same damage while Chain Lightning should deal 50% less vs. 1 target x2 for 2 targets and x3 for 3 targets. Implosion and Fireblast look approximately right given the stat difference but Chain Lightning looks really off.

EDIT: Do Crits automatically deal max damage rather than rolling in the damage range? If so that might explain it. Chain Lightning has a particularly large range so rolling Max damage on a crit would put it at almost 2x the base damage of Implosion/Fireblast at Max damage.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
EDIT: Do Crits automatically deal max damage rather than rolling in the damage range? If so that might explain it. Chain Lightning has a particularly large range so rolling Max damage on a crit would put it at almost 2x the base damage of Implosion/Fireblast at Max damage.
This is the impression i got, and why i felt that MF is so needed for a Air Mage.

duchU

Educated

Just checked it, its 11 for stats and raises attack value 27. Here we encounter a minor typo, buff icon on middle of screen says it increases everything 27...
But I checked stats and its 11.

LOL! It's fucked up.
After using HoP spell icon says about +27 when u have +11 and my meele attack goes from 108 to 146. The spell description says nothing about increasing attack values... :/
Also after using statue icon says +10 bonus but I have only +4... and my meele attack goes to 122.
Also u can have both bonuses at one time: +15 to stats and meele goes to 160...
If other values work the same way then no wonder why light crits can be THAT high etc. :D

And about Time Stop description:
"Stop time outside a sphere created around u for 3 turns or until u exit the sphere. The enemies outside can't be attacked, attack themselves or move."
WTF does mean "attack themselves"?! And there is no info about sphere radius and no icon after casting that spell... It seems it have 3-square radius but if u don't know this u can think it do not work...

LOL! It's fucked up.
After using HoP spell icon says about +27 when u have +11 and my meele attack goes from 108 to 146. The spell description says nothing about increasing attack values... :/
Also after using statue icon says +10 bonus but I have only +4... and my meele attack goes to 122.
Also u can have both bonuses at one time: +15 to stats and meele goes to 160...
If other values work the same way then no wonder why light crits can be THAT high etc. :D

Keep in mind that raising stats also raises attack value,

And about Time Stop description:
"Stop time outside a sphere created around u for 3 turns or until u exit the sphere. The enemies outside can't be attacked, attack themselves or move."
WTF does mean "attack themselves"?! And there is no info about sphere radius and no icon after casting that spell... It seems it have 3-square radius but if u don't know this u can think it do not work...
"attack themselves" is a poorly-worded way to say that they can't attack you, not that they can't hit their own party..

duchU

Educated
Yes, but u get +1 attack value for 1 point in perception. So if u get +11 HoP bonus u should have +22 attack bonus (+11 from attack bonus itself and +11 from perception increment).

'attack themselves' - it just "sounds" wrong :D

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A bit about the game's puzzles: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/mind-games-and-conundrums

To wrap-up this article about puzzles, we asked a few questions to Angela, of the Level-Design team, who created most of the puzzles found in Might & Magic X

WHEN YOU NEED TO CREATE A PUZZLE, HOW DO YOU APPROACH THIS TASK?

At first I think about the possibilities offered by the available interactive objects and the dimensions of the puzzle. Then I will shift to the brainstorming phase and note every idea that comes to my mind. If there aren't enough ideas I will add a research phase by looking what other games (digital and non-digital) did or searching for mathematical puzzles and start brainstorming again. After that I will evaluate everything, choose one of the puzzle ideas and try to make it fit in our game.

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT MAKES A GOOD PUZZLE?

There are a lot of things that I have to keep in mind while designing puzzles. Good signs and feedback are essential as the player has to understand what's happening so he can solve the puzzle without relying on written hints. A varied range of different puzzles helps to give them a sense of uniqueness while each one must fit into the environment and context of the dungeon. Also, most of the time the player must be able to turn around and solve the puzzle at another time which means not being trapped in the puzzle.

OF ALL PUZZLES YOU'VE CREATED FOR THE GAME, WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE?

There is one puzzle that is inspired by Minesweeper. I like this one the most because Minesweeper is one of my favourite games :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The torch rotation puzzle actually creates some mathematically unsolvable combinations that only get solved automatically when you trigger 50+ plates in a row.

Eyeball

Arcane
Well, there is only one that is blatantly minesweepery. There is one or two more that go "cross this empty room but make 1 false step and it's full party wipe with no indication of what floor tiles are trapped because fuck you."

I didn't think of using the spell at the time, but I assume that Clairvoyance makes those rooms trivial?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The torch rotation puzzle actually creates some mathematically unsolvable combinations that only get solved automatically when you trigger 50+ plates in a row.
I came up with an algorithm that can be used to solve the torches puzzle earlier in this thread. You set the north east torch into position, then try three different options for the east and south plates. If that doesn't work, you step on the north plate again. This approach uses brute force, but at least it goes about it in a methodical way.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yup, it also gives you an autoattempt to defuse traps which I don't think you can fail (or maybe I just always picked the right character).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I came up with an algorithm that can be used to solve the torches puzzle earlier in this thread. You set the north east torch into position, then try three different options for the east and south plates. If that doesn't work, you step on the north plate again. This approach uses brute force, but at least it goes about it in a methodical way.

Ohh right. I came up with a way to calculate the moves, but I thought it was unsolvable if 1 and 4 start in the same position (since it looked like A would screw that up and would be unusable). I didn't realise that 1B/3C or 3B/1C would allow you to you use A to help out. I need to practice my math more.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
As a side note, since stepping on the same pressure plate four times results in the same result as not stepping at all*, you only need to step a maximum of 3 times on each of the three plates, so the worst case is 9 steps away from the solution (but this assumes you load to reset the columns each time a combination fails).

In the very worst case, you need to step on B or C three times to set column 1 in position. Then, you have to step on plates B and C four times, in three possible combinations, so twelve times. Finally, plate A needs to be pressed a maximum of three times (and the twelve B/C combinations repeated).

That gives us worst case = 3 + 3*12 = 39 steps.

I think that there exist unsolvable positions, since we need four linearly-independent vectors (we only have three plates) to form a basis for a 4-dimesional vector space (the column positions), but the game is programmed to only give us solvable initial positions. This is technically not solvable with linear algebra, since the positions are periodic not linear, but it works as a loose analogy.

*when any pressure plate is stepped on, three columns rotate 90 degrees and one stands still, so by stepping four times, three of the columns rotate 360 and the other column stands still

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
Huh? The puzzles and riddles are pathetic, but I've only played till act 3 so far.

I just tried some spells on 2 blackguards with 3 mages that are specced in prime,fire and air:
Implosion 325 crit + 112
Fire blast 394 + 122
I don't have chain lightining yet, so lightning bolt did 28 dmg (67 resisted).... Go ahead, slay them with uber chain lightning.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, you can alleviate resistance with perks. But yes, the fact that lots of humans have air resist is annoying as hell, especially since Shamans make good air-only characters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom