Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

LivingOne

Savant
Wait, that spell actually works for you? I tried it a few times, making sure to cast it immediately before anybody else attacking, and my attacks were blocked anyway. Then I never touched it again, because it's so weak that even enemies with weakness to light are barely damaged by it.
It seems to me it just reduces chances of blocking,but not outright eliminate them as stated in the description.

aleph

Arcane
Okay, I wasn't awae that the gaming-experience was crippled for 32-bit users. Someone please tell me that there is a way to somehow make ingame character/monster voices enabled, as well as raising the texture details higher than medium/normal. Shit is pretty fucking ridiculous (which is a shame, because other than that the game looks like good fun).

There is a way
it is really simple
just install a proper OS

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
130 total hours which really isn't far off from your exaggerated 300 figure.

Uh. :M

I'm not denying that games in the past were generally long (cumbersome interfaces and lack of access to walkthroughs and FAQs on the Internet contributed to that) but I think the degree to which they were is easy to exaggerate.

I dunno. I have my saves from M&MVII on my PC, current playthrough. 70 hours so far, and that's knowing the game fairly well. I spent like, 40 hours between level 1 and level 20 because I couldn't figure anything out back when I was a kid.

Shadenuat

Arcane
M&MVI and VII are bigger. Time you could rush Legacy (which playes in steps and without cheap town portal/MULTIPLE BEACONS/Fly spell) you could spent in fucking teleporting tombs in M&MVII being paralyzed and sick and hating whole world
Still it has enough content and is a big game, and certanly has less filler kilometers wide locations just stacked with monster packs. The dungeons are small and easy though.

Okay, I wasn't awae that the gaming-experience was crippled for 32-bit users. Someone please tell me that there is a way to somehow make ingame character/monster voices enabled, as well as raising the texture details higher than medium/normal. Shit is pretty fucking ridiculous (which is a shame, because other than that the game looks like good fun).
If your CPU wasn't made before 2001 (I think), it should have x64 architecture (I bought my PC ~7 years back, and CPU is the only original thing which is left inside), check in your windows, if it has support for that - install 64 OS
That's what I did, because even if you edit text files to turn sounds on (check this thread page back, or google, there are already instructions for that) you will experience some other bugs and crashes.

Also people are doing their own little fixes using just notepad, like http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/832655-Unofficial-Patch
this one fixes some little and big bugs, like you now get Relic Dagger from quest properly
And if you have problems with traveing to Elemental Forge or getting Temple of Meow quest you can edit that with notepad too

Last edited:

Wulfstand

Prophet
M&MVI and VII are bigger. Time you could rush Legacy (which playes in steps and without cheap town portal/MULTIPLE BEACONS/Fly spell) you could spent in fucking teleporting tombs in M&MVII being paralyzed and sick and hating whole world
Still it has enough content and is a big game, and certanly has less filler kilometers wide locations just stacked with monster packs. The dungeons are small and easy though.

If your CPU wasn't made before 2001 (I think), it should have x64 architecture (I bought my PC ~7 years back, and CPU is the only original thing which is left inside), check in your windows, if it has support for that - install 64 OS
That's what I did, because even if you edit text files to turn sounds on (check this thread page back, or google, there are already instructions for that) you will experience some other bugs and crashes.

Also people are doing their own little fixes using just notepad, like http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/832655-Unofficial-Patch
this one fixes some little and big bugs, like you now get Relic Dagger from quest properly
And if you have problems with traveing to Elemental Forge or getting Temple of Meow quest you can edit that with notepad too

Yeah, looks like that's my main bet. Thanks for the help!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
MM6 was my first RPG and it took me a year in real time to finish. I guess it was really just a 15 hour game viewed through the rose-coloured glasses of childhood

:rpgcodex:

whatevername

Arcane
options32.txt

[sound]
musicVolume = 1
sfxVolume = 1
partyBarkVolume = 1
enableMonsterSounds = True
enableAmbientSounds = True

As for the texture setting, find the code (assembly) that's responsible for it with a debugger and change it :P

ben_reck

Educated
options32.txt

[sound]
musicVolume = 1
sfxVolume = 1
partyBarkVolume = 1
enableMonsterSounds = True
enableAmbientSounds = True

As for the texture setting, find the code (assembly) that's responsible for it with a debugger and change it :P

As noted, this can just force an overmatched OS to play sounds, which, for me, meant more crashes outside. Inside a dungeon was ok.

So I went ahead and moved to Win 7 64-bit, having a 07 PC... It really was an easy upgrade. While the game is stable now, it seems to rely more heavily on my GFX card (Nvidia 460) to run, rather than the OS. (the fan kicks on when it had not before).

Mortmal

Arcane
I hope next time they fix all those horrible design flaws, the game go from extremely fun to extremely annoying all the time , The paladin quest for exemple . How high your stats have to be to open the secret doorsin cursed ruins ? it seems those are mandatory to finish the quest, usuall they are optional for extra loot . You can see them with a spell easily but now its impossible to open one of them .
Its also not nostalgia the older might and magic were bigger, especially 6-7. There's lot of backtracking in this one and very small areas. Still i wish them good luck for a MM11 ,could become a really great license again but theres lot of work to do, less yesmen in the testing team next time please.

Eyeball

Arcane
Get the doggy companion. +25% chance to open secret doors. Other than that, try to open it, fail, heal up and try Again until you succeed.

Arkeus

Arcane
I hope next time they fix all those horrible design flaws, the game go from extremely fun to extremely annoying all the time , The paladin quest for exemple . How high your stats have to be to open the secret doorsin cursed ruins ? it seems those are mandatory to finish the quest, usuall they are optional for extra loot . You can see them with a spell easily but now its impossible to open one of them .
Any secret doors are possible to open even with bad stats. What you need to do is cast regeneration, and then try to open with each character in a row. By the time you are back to the first he'll be healed up. Continue until you get it open.

Tigranes

Arcane
Reached the Yor-Chall Forest at level 11ish. I found a lot of doors in Castle Pormeyron I couldn't exactly open, although I feel like I checked everywhere. Some doors have no feedback so maybe they're fake doors, but there are even some with locks that behave like that.

Is there a way to easily see what those extra companion peoples do? Never taken one yet, are they worth it?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hire them, then mouse over their portrait. Some free-to-hire questgiver in Seahaven gives +10% kill xp, and you can also get a bunch of guys who make the game even easier. The DLC Djinn in Seahaven is supposed to be super overpowered, though I haven't tried her myself.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Reached the Yor-Chall Forest at level 11ish. I found a lot of doors in Castle Pormeyron I couldn't exactly open, although I feel like I checked everywhere. Some doors have no feedback so maybe they're fake doors, but there are even some with locks that behave like that.

Is there a way to easily see what those extra companion peoples do? Never taken one yet, are they worth it?
I think most of them were fake doors, but there was one right near the three levers puzzle that showed up on the map (in the SW corner). I couldn't figure out how to open it, since I opened the gates to the next level and couldn't activate the levers again.

There are two kind of companions: the left slot is for hirelings, the right one is for quest-related ones.
The most useful ones seem to be the two that give a 10% bonus to earned experience. The goblin cook is moderately useful, since you get the well-rested bonus for 250 steps.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The door just connects the lever room to one of the secret rooms from earlier in the level, so I doubt there's anything useful to it. You generally find the keys to the doors in those secret rooms.

Mortmal

Arcane
Any secret doors are possible to open even with bad stats. What you need to do is cast regeneration, and then try to open with each character in a row. By the time you are back to the first he'll be healed up. Continue until you get it open.

I tried that , you know its in the right room past the friednly spectre, theres a secret wall there even with regen and several.. several try it doesnt open . I had the same issue in the feline bonus dungeons, now trying to level up and get more perception , but thats frustrating to put exploration of a dungeon on halt.

Eyeball

Arcane
Get the bodyguard companion. She grants your party 5 free block attempts per round. When facing nagas or other enemies with a million attacks, this is worth something.

whatevername

Arcane
I tried that , you know its in the right room past the friednly spectre, theres a secret wall there even with regen and several.. several try it doesnt open . I had the same issue in the feline bonus dungeons, now trying to level up and get more perception , but thats frustrating to put exploration of a dungeon on halt.
Several tries is nothing... I play with 4 mages so before I learned might and perception buffs some doors took 100+ tries.

Mortmal

Arcane
Several tries is nothing... I play with 4 mages so before I learned might and perception buffs some doors took 100+ tries.

100+ yes thats what i called several... I prefered searching for small wall details like in grimrock , theres a couple game mechanisms that should be completely removed, those secret walsl system , item repairs , GM trainers at the end of the game only, the-50% malaus on ranged.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh hey look I was wondering where the 1-handed relic axe was, I thought I was stupid and hadn't found it. Turns out it's on the last level of the last dungeon, 10 minutes before the end of the game. Perfectly reasonbale place to put a relic in a system where relics only gain attributes when you leve them up with use.

Thanks Limbic!

Edwin in Seahaven gives +10% XP. Spike allows you to detect all secrets, though you may need to have a Ranger to hire him (and if you do have a Ranger you can't hire him until you get the promotion quest). These 2 are the best IMO, especially Edwin's XP boost. You'll need to have one companion or two for some of the quests, but if by then you have Malassa's blessing you don't need Spike.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Oh hey look I was wondering where the 1-handed relic axe was, I thought I was stupid and hadn't found it. Turns out it's on the last level of the last dungeon, 10 minutes before the end of the game. Perfectly reasonbale place to put a relic in a system where relics only gain attributes when you leve them up with use.
Well, the limbo dungeon and the community dungeon are going to be patched in, and then you have the DLC, so it's not like you won't be able to use it at all.

Tigranes

Arcane
Edwin in Seahaven gives +10% XP. Spike allows you to detect all secrets, though you may need to have a Ranger to hire him (and if you do have a Ranger you can't hire him until you get the promotion quest). These 2 are the best IMO, especially Edwin's XP boost. You'll need to have one companion or two for some of the quests, but if by then you have Malassa's blessing you don't need Spike.[/quote]

Cool, thanks. Guess I'll find the dude. I explored the forest and I'm generally doing fine, but now I'm stuck at a dead end with the only way out guarded by 3 minotaurs and my shaman is dead. My Crusader has good block, and it's actually easier for her to stay alive on her own... until she gets stunned, of course.

Theres also a potion seller in the m. marshes. She could be good no need to rely on buggy prime magic beacon or backtracking for potion buying.

And also most op I feel is the karthal slums medic. 15g heals unlimited status ailments.... even in combat. Saves a lot of turns purging/antidote. You need to complete The Curse side quest in the crag to hire him permanently.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
until she gets stunned, of course.
Get Fire Magic Expert and then buy Burning Determination ASAP. There are quite a few viable party compositions and playstyles, but there are some spells and abilities that are an absolute must, and Burning Determination is at the top of that list. Later in the game you'll run into ambushes with multiple enemies that can stun/paralyse, and they all strike first due to the ambush mechanics, and without Burning Determination it's not unusual to start the fight with 3 party members stunned or paralysed.

The problem with all tanks (Crusader and Defender) is that they're much better at surviving than at shielding others. The Crusader is better because of Light Magic though. Speaking of which, Celestial Armour should be up in all tough battles, especially in the ambush round where enemies get a free strike at you.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I have Burning Determination, and usually I have nice combos going now with sleep, lower armour, burning determination, the toxic spray, etc. It's just this particular case where I have to fight my way out of these bloody minotaurs and go to town to resurrect the shaman.

I feel like rations are so much cheaper than potions that it's easier to just expend your mana/health and rest every three or four battles. I'm glad this makes mysticism actually useful to take, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom