Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
well, i approached him and got the "camera-swings-close" thing, but how much i clicked space for interaction nothing happened.
Luzur if you have a Ranger in your party then you cannot interact with the dog until you are on the promotion quest. Come back here when you are and you'll be able to both complete that quest and hire Spike.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, i approached him and got the "camera-swings-close" thing, but how much i clicked space for interaction nothing happened.
I think there is a bug where if you have a quest-hireling he cannot come with you.

nope, no quest NPC.

Luzur if you have a Ranger in your party then you cannot interact with the dog until you are on the promotion quest. Come back here when you are and you'll be able to both complete that quest and hire Spike.

hm...that might be it, Alanna in my party is a ranger.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wow at Runepriest promotion quest
2 levels of unique looking dungeon with endgame tier monsters one-shotting your ass
starring game's favorites tactics

AMBUSHES
DOORS LOCKING BEHIND YOU
Suddenly Spawning Shit and
Exploding In Your Face Shit and
Shit Shooting at you

...seriously, some promotion quests are very uneven in effort and reward

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Finally finished the game. That back to back series of dungeons at the end was tedious, as was the final "boss". Though I guess the grand finale was never a strong point in M&M, and this one is still better than the atrocious Square Lake Cavern. The slides at the end were a nice touch, but it seems as if only 3 quests use them (Haart, Lost Lambs and Owen's Ashes). They also bugged out, so I got both slides for Haart one after the other.

Speaking of quests I never found one of the books, didn't find the Shard of Light, and never figured out the deal with Montbard's daughter (or even saw any clue as to where to pursue this quest - it says something about a city in the Unicorn Empire, which I'm pretty sure is nowhere near the Peninsula....). I think all the other quests I missed were ones related to promotions for classes I didn't have, but some of these can be very irritating - especially one in the ancient crypt, since I found all the notes, had the disc, yet the ghost wouldn't take it and there was nowhere I could use it.

The game is really not what I expected, but I think I enjoyed it overall.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Speaking of quests I never found one of the books, didn't find the Shard of Light, and never figured out the deal with Montbard's daughter (or even saw any clue as to where to pursue this quest - it says something about a city in the Unicorn Empire, which I'm pretty sure is nowhere near the Peninsula....).

Protip: talk to the people in your party, especially those who are mandatory hires for the main quest.

Tigranes

Arcane
Beat Montbard. Not too difficult - actually, more difficult is keeping the party alive when coming up against heavy-hitting undead like those ferocious ghouls, which stopped me from entering Lost City lv. 3. I can't put them to Sleep (by the way, how overpowered is Sleep since it has a permanent duration?), and they basically 1/2-hit my mages. Hilariously, if I let them die, my Crusader (50 armour) and Bladedancer (30? 40? Evade) can basically spam attacks for 10+ turns without letting many hits get through. Hired Alesia for the daily revive and exploring level 4 now.

Definitely fun game, really impressed with it especially since I'm not so into blobbers and M&M VI didn't really grab me.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Don't get so attached to getting everything done in a dungeon on your first visit. Lost City level 3 is not one you will complete at low level.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I'm learning that I'll have to come back later, same with a couple of places in the Yor-Chall Forest. That's fine. I also expect I'll need to find the magic Master trainers for another gear up in party capacity.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally finished the game. That back to back series of dungeons at the end was tedious, as was the final "boss". Though I guess the grand finale was never a strong point in M&M, and this one is still better than the atrocious Square Lake Cavern. The slides at the end were a nice touch, but it seems as if only 3 quests use them (Haart, Lost Lambs and Owen's Ashes). They also bugged out, so I got both slides for Haart one after the other.

Speaking of quests I never found one of the books, didn't find the Shard of Light, and never figured out the deal with Montbard's daughter (or even saw any clue as to where to pursue this quest - it says something about a city in the Unicorn Empire, which I'm pretty sure is nowhere near the Peninsula....). I think all the other quests I missed were ones related to promotions for classes I didn't have, but some of these can be very irritating - especially one in the ancient crypt, since I found all the notes, had the disc, yet the ghost wouldn't take it and there was nowhere I could use it.

The game is really not what I expected, but I think I enjoyed it overall.

I actually liked "the boss run" but it is still quite shallow and buggy. You can 1 shot him at first encounter which bugs the entire run...
Got same bug about Haart but there are more sildes. I got one for getting dwarven stronghold back, another one for Montbard's daughter(you met with Montbard's daugther btw, you cannot complete act 1 without meeting her :)) and one for getting all them shards and activating them.
I also never found last book, it is probably in that orcish dungeon that I was not allowed to enter, orcs only... Another restricted class quest I guess.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, it's not in the Orcish dungeon AFAIK. I've already got 8 books out of 9, I haven't been there (no filthy orcses in my party) and I heard the last one is in
The Vigil

Will verify once I get that far.

Here's the hit chance formula if anyone is interested: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/831193-Hit-chance-formulas

Basically = your target's evade and that's about the best you can do, you'll always have a 15% miss chance on high-evade targets no matter how high your attack value is. Having evade yourself will scale well against low-attack enemies but against 150 attack enemies having 145 evade isn't much better than 0 evade.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Here's the hit chance formula if anyone is interested: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/831193-Hit-chance-formulas

Basically = your target's evade and that's about the best you can do, you'll always have a 15% miss chance on high-evade targets no matter how high your attack value is. Having evade yourself will scale well against low-attack enemies but against 150 attack enemies having 145 evade isn't much better than 0 evade.
Thanks for posting that, it's very interesting. Further below on the same page, there is a code excerpt that shows how block attempts, critical hits, and spell evasion are computed.

Also, kudos to Limbic for the neat K&R style code :cool: (although it could have used some comments).

Visperas

Augur
Where are the clues for the damned misterious crypts? So far, I think I've done them by brute force...

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It always seemed to me that they were decidedly made so that you need to figure the shit out yourself from scratch. Not a bad thing if you ask me; while some were quite challenging (and other piss easy, and couple just... random), they weren't impossible to figure out.

Eyeball

Arcane
Just about all of them are logical puzzles. Some of them are a bit of a punch in the balls, however, in particular the one behind the governer's Castle.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished this bad boy. This game is definitely in the early running for GotY 2014 alongside Blackguards - great stuff! :thumbsup:

There are some annoying design decisions (such as quest items and trainers being located in the final dungeons of the game) and some technical issues, but overall - especially given the low budget that they probably had - I think Limbic did an outstanding job. Might and Magic X is clearly a labour of love and I really hope it sells well enough to warrant a sequel or three (hopefully with a larger budget). :)

Eyeball

Arcane
Ugh, the armour Merchant in The Crag informs me "I am selling these fine leather armours."

Keep playing my nostalgic heartstrings, MMX!

ben_reck

Educated
I like the Demon's Souls approach to geography, the inter-connectivity of it all. Nice and contemporary.

I really like the ambient sounds now that I can play them.

And I even like some of the riddles with a few of them still thwarting me.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
All the riddles I've encountered have been so time worn that everybody already knows the answer to them. The exception was a poorly written passage which I wouldn't really consider a riddle, instead being a missive hinting at something mentioned by a NPC elsewhere. So you go all the way back to that NPC to write down the relevant word, then return to the chest, and get rewarded with loot disappointing enough to make you wish you had saved time by searching the internet for the answer.

I've been progressing very slowly in small spurts, and am a little perplexed with the main quest in Karthal. I seem to have solved a segment of it by chance alone.

Is there anything in the game that suggests you should be searching the Lost City for the water shard, or are you expected to just find it eventually and then resume the main quest? I only found it at all because I'd given up on looking for the shipwreck and decided to explore elsewhere for a while. The most misleading part is that it's on level 3 of the Lost City, which is counter-intuitively easier than level 2. Parties being pushed away from level 2 could be well equipped to handle the vital level 3.

This isn't a gripe, I'm just wondering if I missed a clue somewhere along the way.[/quote]

Angthoron

Arcane
The one thing I seriously don't like though is that apparently for the French, cynical = cleanness freak. "They smelled us! Who forgot to take a bath?" "They smelled us! Who forgot to take a bath?"

Hngh.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
They could have at least written different lines for different voice actors.

And provided a secondary visual alert for nearby secrets so you could happily turn the voices off altogether, for that matter. I prefer to play with the sound off while listening to the radio, which means I end up having to look at every single dungeon wall.

Angthoron

Arcane
Maybe someone will mod that in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom