Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Metatron

Augur
Well, looking on the bright side: it's literally impossible to make something worse than M&M IX right? I mean, even if the only thing they do is create villager npcs that don't give me nightmares for the next 10 years there still will be incline.

BobtheTree

Savant
I have a hard time thinking that Ubisoft will come out with something that hearkens back to the older game's gameplay style, although with the resurgence of old-school CRPGs on Kickstarter, never say never.

Bros don't get your hopes up. Are you crazy? They will NEVER make anything non-popamole. Too little money in old school. Too much money in popamole.

I do hope I'll eat my words though. :(

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Might and Magic was turn-based popamole. Then it became awful turnbased/realtime popamole. :M

BobtheTree

Savant
I agree. Just sayin'...I never thought we'd see another Infinity Engine type game, or a hex turn-based RPG or, looking at AAA studios, a turn-based X-COM remake.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Might and magic + Ubisoft?
Quinton-Jackson.gif

visions

Arcane
Not even the recruitables? I might be forgetting things.

You make the whole party in 7. You can recruit npc followers that grant you additional benefits (cast some spell once a day/reduce travel time, that kind of stuff) but they have no function beyond the ability they grant, they are not party members.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Let's see Ubisoft's history with the Might & Magic series. They edited the goddamn thing in France. What happened :

MM4&5 couldn't be completed because a translation bug disallowed the é and è characters.
MM6 had a similar translation issue that made the game very hard to complete
MM7 "We forgot to put the audio tracks on the game CDs".

This can only end well.

Stabwound

Arcane
Let's see Ubisoft's history with the Might & Magic series. They edited the goddamn thing. What happenes :

MM4&5 couldn't be completed because a translation bug disallowed the é and è characters.
MM6 had a similar translation issue that made the game very hard to complete
MM7 "We forgot to put the audio tracks on the game CDs".

This can only end well.
Huh, what are you talking about? How was Ubisoft involved in those titles? They only acquired the M&M license for HoMM5 and Dark Messiah, not those old MM games. Is this some weird re-release?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In France, the game was always published by Ubi Soft... and they managed to release it broken everytime even though te original game was fine.

deuxhero

Arcane
I have a hard time thinking that Ubisoft will come out with something that hearkens back to the older game's gameplay style, although with the resurgence of old-school CRPGs on Kickstarter, never say never.

Not just Kickstarter. Atlus has been making solid profit off EO for a long time now, and other companies with their own first person dungeon crawlers haven't done badly either.

Of course, "lower budget, lower number of sales needed for profit" is a completely foreign concept for most of the big companies.

Stabwound

Arcane
It'll be a haha oh wow moment if this game ends up being console only like the post Sir-Tek Wizardry games and multiple Nintendo DS turn-based blobbers. But that's a good point, 1st person blobbers have come pretty vogue lately. I mean, Grimrock sold 600,000 copies in 2012. That's no pocket change for a handful of developers.

My dream for this is a modernized grid-based M&M, and by modernized I mean like Grimrock's take on the Dungeon Master series.

But alas, it can only be shit, that much is certain.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It'll be a haha oh wow moment if this game ends up being console only like the post Sir-Tek Wizardry games
Some of these were pretty good by all accounts. In fact if MM10 was a console-only game as similar to the originals as Tales of the Forsaken Lands was to the Wizardies then I'd buy a console in a heartbeat.

Yes I am that starved for a Might and Magic game.

Of course MM10 isn't gonna be this so meh.

deuxhero

Arcane
An open world Dark Messiah would actually be fun, not a real MM10, but a fun game, but that too is sadly above the competency level of AAA devs and we will wind up with a mediocre hack and slash (or hack and durr as is the case with Bethesda games).

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
We can still hope Almost Human will expend the scope of Grimrock for the next iteration and add elements likes exploration, towns, a real plot etc.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I shall be following this with interest. There's pretty much no question that this will be shit, but it'll be fascinating to find out what kind of shit exactly - be it a multi-platform popamole game, a F2P microtransaction Facebook game or a full-blown WoW clone MMO. Very intriguing! For what it's worth, my money is on it being an MMO.

Leave no cavern unraped.

But I'd wait for more infos on this. Maybe there's a slight chance that this will just be mediocre instead of just utter shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom