Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Really surprised....... NO info on this game today????

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, definitely seems a bit strange. I really want to hear more about this so I know how excited I should be. I wonder if the dev's have JVC's blessing? If I were them I'd be calling him up for advice on how not to fuck up.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
UBI: Hey JVC! We are making a new Might and Magic X! Do you have any suggestions?
JVC: Uh........ Make it more "accessible" that's what we do here at EA! That way we sell lot's of games!
UBI: Yeah that is what we are thinking too!
JVC: Well just some ideas, make sure you have to use your DRM crap, even the STEAM versions. Customers LOVE that!
UBI: Well that is a given. Duh. lol
JVC: hah yeah. Also maybe... get rid of Training. That takes too much fucking time. The player should ALWAYS be engaged in ACTION! ACTION ACTION! None of this fucking stop in action and need to think
UBI: Brilliant! I think we have some great ideas on not interrupting the ACTION! with far less Skills and Magic
JVC: Exactly! THAT is what sells!
UBI: Thanks JVC! We will get on that!

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
:lol:
To me he seemed like a bro who just happened to be working for the Evil Empire in his Codex interview. Definitely FAR better than Garriott.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, don't be an asshole with JVC. He hasn't really done anything bad yet. Working for EA is like Boyarsky working for Blizzard or Zeb Cook for Zionmax.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The truly sad thing is. I am possibly going to be proved right. :/
Yeah, possibly. I'd still take a shitty MMX in the style of the old games than a shitty one in the style of Skyrim or Dragon Age any day of the week. If the devs really have their hearts in the right place (lol) then maybe enough old school :obviously: gentlemen will be around to point them in the right direction. I think I did read something on their website about the importance of fan feedback, or something like that.

The first thing I'm looking for is clarity on the leveling system, the amount of skills and any other changes they are making to the character system. MMVI's was IMO both simple and elegant and I couldn't think of much to change about it. They could just clone the mechanics from the older games and update the graphics and they'd do just fine by me. Just so long as the dungeons are well-designed and (hopefully) the trash combat is kept to a minimum.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm really expecting something like a Legend of Grimrock, on the same small scope and level of polish but with turn-based combat instead of realtime. There's a weird thing regarding the grid-based blobber genre in that there haven't really been any BAD games released lately. Even the mediocre ones like Dark Spire are still fun, so hopefully MMX is at least good for what it is.

It's kind of baffling that absolutely nothing has been posted about the PAX demo that I've seen. It looks like tons of sites posted about the "X" teaser but nothing at all about the game itself. Maybe some blogger will post a preview tomorrow.

I'd like to see JVC do a real M&M sequel, but that seems pretty unlikely. He seems pretty done with M&M or even CRPGs in general.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's kind of baffling that absolutely nothing has been posted about the PAX demo that I've seen. It looks like tons of sites posted about the "X" teaser but nothing at all about the game itself. Maybe some blogger will post a preview tomorrow.
I've heard nothing from my friends at PAX so they must be either drunk and passed out or LARPing with some overweight anime girls.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well the fucker should quit and apply for a job at that German developer. Does anyone really want to work at EA anyway. It's where you go when no one else will hire you. Well maybe that's the problem.

Stabwound

Arcane
I doubt he wants to move from a cushy, secure job at EA to work on M&M sequels at a small German development studio. He probably makes bank working there.

I'm reading about the history of M&M over the years, and it's pretty depressing to find out that Ubisoft bought the M&M rights for only $1.3 million. 10+ games and it was only worth that much at the end- pretty sad. I hope he didn't go bankrupt when 3DO went bust.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ugh, I hate the 'heal on level up' mechanic. It's really only suitable for something where you gain levels extremely infrequently, like in an MMO. In something like a dungeon crawler it becomes this whole metagamey thing.

From one of my posts about MM3:
Also, I think I only rested two times during the whole game, as it was just so much more effective to just replenish HP and SP by leveling up.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I rested a lot in MM3-5. Generally because I relied heavily on buffs and only had the SP to support casting one round of them on the party, so if the day ticked over while wandering around, I had to rest to be able to recast everything. Though I suppose technically I could have just used the wells, since I tend to employ a lot of mages and have beacons to spare.

Anyways, if you're levelling up you're in town anyways, why wouldn't you rest if it helps out? I also rested a ton to get stores to open and such. There's nothing metagamey about hp being restored on levels in MM3 because you can only gain levels in a safe location anyways. I was talking about shit where you do crap like leave a monster alive following you around while you look for a trap or boss monster, get worn down, then turn around and pop the little guy for a free heal. That kind of thing is bullshit.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I rested a lot in MM3-5. Generally because I relied heavily on buffs and only had the SP to support casting one round of them on the party, so if the day ticked over while wandering around, I had to rest to be able to recast everything. Though I suppose technically I could have just used the wells, since I tend to employ a lot of mages and have beacons to spare.

Anyways, if you're levelling up you're in town anyways, why wouldn't you rest if it helps out? I also rested a ton to get stores to open and such.

Because I didn't have to. MM3 is easy enough that you rarely need the buffs. Also, I always try to complete a game using as little in-game time as possible.

A user named cat

What have you done to the old M&M series ?

I cannot see the magic touch of M&M !
Monsters are identic as Warcrat/diablo/heroes ect ...

Where are all of the monster of the world of xeen ect ... so colored, funny & magic ???

The people need to do research on google (image of what was the beautiful design in the old time ... des cracheurs de sang amusant , ect ...

nOW the monsters are all the same as any game of today ! ... music too !

Where IS the magic music OF m&m ? ... PATHETIC ... you will not have my money for this one ; OH NO !
Why make a game just to please the fans of Diablo, Warcraft, and even of skyrim ... and forget the fans of the old game Might & Magic! This ... does not make sense!

PATHETIC AS USUAL !

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
We have come to a point where complaining about games not being old school is a hip thing... So hip that even the illiterates want to try their hand at it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The english is broken more likely because it's not his first language. If you ask where that guy is from, it's probably russia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1aqqzh/might_magic_x_legacy_announcement_trailer/c91h2aw

I played the demo at PAX yesterday and talked to the lead dev. Heres the info I garnered:

• Plays more like the pre-mandate of heaven games with a grid style movement system instead of free roam.
  • there are 12 classes (didn't tell me what they were) and then "advanced" classes for each of them. I suppose this is like the system in 6-7-8 where you do a quest to promote from a Knight to a Champion or whatever.
  • there will be 23 dungeons.
  • aiming for september release
  • there is no training. When you level up you just get your skill points then and there.
  • You still will level your skills and have to train to expert, master, and grand master. Expert and master you just go find the trainer and pay gold when you have the necessary skill points, and for grandmaster there will be a quest.
  • It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.
  • In the demo you never had more than 2-3 monsters at a time. I asked if this is representative of the whole game, and he said "it depends on the level. Sometimes you will be surrounded, sometimes it is just a few more powerful enemies." Was kind of vague.
  • The movement is like Grimrock, but Grimrock was still a real time game. This is turn based 100% of the time, which imo makes the combat much more interesting.
  • There is a skill bar, but its not like WoW or other MMOs where you have special attacks... the abilities that were on the skill bar were just melee attack, ranged attack, defend (idk what this did, never used it), and then you can put spells and potions on there too.
  • I looked but didn't see any "self" magics in the skill trees of the characters I had, but I didn't pay attention to what classes I had in my party. its possible I just didn't have a character who could learn them.
  • No blasters / sci-fi elements.
  • There will be hirelings. You can have two in your party at once. They don't fight with you, just provide your party with a bonus. For a price of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom