Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Has anyone seen a playthrough where the party actually walks off one of the paths? or are you limited to following roads/trails?
I missed that. Alright, it sounds a bit better, but still there are questions to be answered. Can you step away from the dirt path? Are you confined to it? Does non-linearity mean that we can go left to the Castle of Chaos or right to the Mine of Malice, while still being confined to the dirt road?
Check the movement compass on the left. It fades out when you can't move in that direction. It looks pretty clear that you can move sideways off of the road.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
I dont know... Im not sure if they can make it into a good game. Any news about Uplay and so on?
Looks like you can some times move out and some times you cant? Its kinda hard to see at times.
If it turn out good... Great... but im not holding my breath.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Man the entire lack of marketing behind this is a bummer. To be honest this went from YEAH! to meh for me (I hate that shitty UPlay DRM crap). Now that we have a better game one the way, Divinity: Original Sin and has a NO DRM option. <3

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think you can really compare D:OS and M&M X. They are two completely different kinds of RPGs. (And to be honest I like first person RPGs better so I'm really looking forwad to M&M X - but okay, that's beside the point.)

Anyway, I expect this to pick up steam as it gets closer to release. It's understandable they don't want to spend a lot of marketing dollars on an experimental low budget title - but I hope they do a targeted PR campaign to accompany the game's release.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah. I'm just really pissed. I wan't to know more about this game.... but I just have to wait I guess. :(

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The marketing department in Ubisoft is probably waiting for how it'll be initially received and like Crooked Bee said, they'll wait till it's closer to the release. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd actually try to get grassroots-"movement" to spread the word about the game and get "sleeper hit" with minimal investment in marketing.

Gozma

Arcane
Looks like you can some times move out and some times you cant? Its kinda hard to see at times.

The point where he couldn't walk out onto the grass in that one video was because he had an enemy in melee with him, which he didn't realize until he turned around. You can't walk out of melee in Isles of Terra/Xeen, so probably the same rule. The direction movement arrows were greyed out until he killed the enemy, but when he did the arrows started showing that he could walk onto the grass again. The guy just didn't.

Kinda interested to see how pathfinding/mountaineering will work, with the tile transitions the way they are you will basically have to obviously clip through trees. I hope they don't just let trees and hills be impassable walls and drop travel skills, being able to eventually go anywhere in M&M when you started off constrained was great.

Stabwound

Arcane
What was kind of annoying about 3-5 for me was that you could find the mountaneering/swimming trainers pretty trivially, and then the entire overworld map turns into a lawnmower simulator since virtually every square you could walk on freely outside of lava and hidden off sections in the corners.

I wouldn't have totally minded if mountaineering wasn't a skill and mountains were walls, but they did use that mechanic at least and hide things in the mountains.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Man the entire lack of marketing behind this is a bummer. To be honest this went from YEAH! to meh for me (I hate that shitty UPlay DRM crap). Now that we have a better game one the way, Divinity: Original Sin and has a NO DRM option. <3

Yeah, I'm with Bee on this. I really don't understand how you can claim that D:OS is a better game than M&M X based solely on what we've seen of both. They both look to me to potentially be decent to good games, regardless of their level of marketing and whether there's going to be a DRM wrapper present like UPlay or not. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the game.

Decline of Jaesun.

:killit:

Stabwound

Arcane
To me, comparing games of totally different subgenres (blobber vs isometric turb-based inspired by Ultima 7) is like comparing a black metal band like Darkthrone to a power metal band like Blind Guardian. Both can be awesome and they're really not subjectively or even objectively comparable even though they share a same overall genre.

I love both grid blobbers and 2D turn-based games. Problem?

Gozma

Arcane
What was kind of annoying about 3-5 for me was that you could find the mountaneering/swimming trainers pretty trivially, and then the entire overworld map turns into a lawnmower simulator since virtually every square you could walk on freely outside of lava and hidden off sections in the corners.

I wouldn't have totally minded if mountaineering wasn't a skill and mountains were walls, but they did use that mechanic at least and hide things in the mountains.

My memories of the "natural" order/speed you find stuff in 2-5 are all messed up since you can pretty much unlock all the travel skill options within like 10 minutes of starting in any of them if you know all the tricks, but I do think making them a little more of a big deal would be cool.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I want a boxed version :( Until now it seems only Digital Download will come...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Check the movement compass on the left. It fades out when you can't move in that direction. It looks pretty clear that you can move sideways off of the road.

Eagle Eye ;) Thanks for that, I can confirm this observation after thoroughly rewatching the clip. Kinda relieving.

Still, the grid movement seems to play out its suckiness when looking at this screenshots: http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource...ic/mightandmagicx-legacy/game-key-1_87998.png

I'll bet that road is blocked, just because you can't have 360° movement...

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron

The point where he couldn't walk out onto the grass in that one video was because he had an enemy in melee with him, which he didn't realize until he turned around. You can't walk out of melee in Isles of Terra/Xeen, so probably the same rule. The direction movement arrows were greyed out until he killed the enemy, but when he did the arrows started showing that he could walk onto the grass again. The guy just didn't.

Kinda interested to see how pathfinding/mountaineering will work, with the tile transitions the way they are you will basically have to obviously clip through trees. I hope they don't just let trees and hills be impassable walls and drop travel skills, being able to eventually go anywhere in M&M when you started off constrained was great.
Ah ok.Well i do hope it end up being a good game.But still... I just dont know what to think... then throw i the DRM. =/

Stabwound

Arcane
I guess this is the extent of the information we're going to get on the game for now? Pretty sad. Not even any in-game footage, just some lone German with a cellphone to capture some footage. Oh well.

StrategyInformer had a report but it has nothing new so I'm not even going to bother trying to find it again to link it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I hope they didn't do voice acting for most of the dialogue. If they did it'll take up a huge chunk of the budget and cut the script down to ribbons.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://n-e-m-o.over-blog.net/article-x-marks-the-spot-116559977.html (French)

The Creative Designer and Writer of MMX wrote in his blog that he fought for it over three years. He and Limbic wanted it to be first-person, turn-based, grid based. Obviously, he stated its gamplay inspired by World of Xeen.

And apparently he received a message from JVC after the announcemnet:

Hi Julien,

Congratulations on the announce, I love the homage to the older games in the trailer :)
Looks like fun, can’t wait to play!

-jvc

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You remember Lord Might's riddle in MM3? Or any of the castle riddles? There was actually quite a bit of text in most places. It just didn't feel like it because you can read through an entire paragraph far more quickly than you can listen to it. And those games had proper budgets for their time. Considering how short and crappy the dialogue in a AAA title like FO3 is, I would imagine MMX's budget would turn most spoken dialogue's into 80's jrpg scripts.
I don't really want stuff like this to be taken out or replaced by a narrator grunting 3 words in a monotone voice:
Might-and-Magic-III-Isles-of-Terra.png

Might%20and%20Magic%20III%20-%20Isles%20of%20Terra_2.png

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, it better at least have the "MEMBERS ONLY" and sound effects of that type in shops. :smug:

Stabwound

Arcane
Frankly, I'm more excited for the Xeen-inspired fangame that's been in the works for a while. I just checked it out again and he's still working on it, with updates as recently as a few days ago. He's supposedy going to release a 2 hour demo if he gets enough facebook likes.

Hopefully this doesn't go the way of Grimoire because he's been working on it forever, repeatedly changed engines (it began as a FRUA module...) and is working on another MM-inspired JRPG type game. And you can even see the differences between the trailer and the pic: now you only have 5 NCPS rather than 6 as it was a few months ago.

But fuck, I want this one:

543458_469639539759067_134686439_n.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom